tsmall07

Complete Noob Got a Free Tractor - 520H

tsmall07

So, I just took a look and it has 289 hours.  Is that a lot?  Middle of the road?

Geno

Pretty low actually.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

km3h

If you Google Toro, you can download all the books on that tractor. Just insert the model number and when you go to the next page it will show all tractors for that number listing them by serial number groups. This will tell you the exact year of your tractor. Now place a folder on your desktop and download all those books. Make sure that you get the Demystification Guide. It is over 500 pages and is a must have for anyone owning a Wheel Horse tractor.

You are one lucky guy to have scored all that equipment for free.

One of the most important things for you to do in order to keep this 520-H in good condition is to remove the side pans and rear seat pan as well as the hood and give it a good power washing. In fact I would unbolt the engine from the frame and remove all the tins and make especially sure that the cooling fins for the rear cylinder are clean. You are going to be amazed at all the debris and gunk is collected there and around the transmission. Proper cooling is a must for these Onan engines. While you are at it change the oil and the transmission oil along with the filters. 

Remember no question is dumb if it prevents you from making a mistake. We are here to help. All you have to do is ask.

Again a Rookie steps up to the plate for his First Major League at Bat, and Gets Grand Slam. Amazing.

tsmall07

Thanks for the help.  I'm normally the one that reads with jealousy as someone else gets a big score.  It's nice to be on this side!  :laughing-rofl:

Theroundhousernr

Thanks for the help.  I'm normally the one that reads with jealousy as someone else gets a big score.  It's nice to be on this side!  :laughing-rofl:

Yes, Big score indeed. And I am the one reading with envy!. But these are times that I have to be happy for all I got. I have gotten some nice scores over the years too. CONGRATS! :woohoo:

CasualObserver

The story of the price goes like this:

I'm a home inspector and I often run across people that need to move quickly and are down sizing or are moving great distances. These people are moving to California and were planning to leave the equipment. I talked to the purchasers and they didn't want the "old lawn mower".

Awesome!  My favorite kind of people... the one's who'd rather replace that "old lawn mower" with a nice shiny new one from Home Depot!

:WRS:  you definitely get a perfect.giffor that score..... 

Even John Winger agrees. awesome.jpg

• Like 2

tsmall07

Here is my trailer load:

10672360_10102845435835633_6341756749460

Also included was a stihl chain saw, 2 stihl weed eaters, and a push mower.  All free.  I'm going to go back after they pack up and get some furniture, too.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Very nice score and an even nicer price for all of that stuff! (take good care of it, you have found the right place!)

I just got a 520 and I really like it. Its the "beast" of the lawn and garden (mid size) tractors up till the 'xi' series.

Ed Kennell

:angry-tappingfoot:  Again, how do I become a home inspector?

• Like 1

tsmall07

:angry-tappingfoot:  Again, how do I become a home inspector?

Ha!  Sorry I missed you.  I've always been in construction and when we bought our first house, I asked the guy if he wanted to train anyone and he said yes.  8 months later I was a solo home inspector.  I'm an independent contractor, but I work with a guy that schedules me through his company.  I love the freedom and I love the work.  The free stuff isn't bad, either.  :woohoo:

• Like 1

Ethan and Randies horses

wow Awesome!

Geno

Awesome!  My favorite kind of people... the one's who'd rather replace that "old lawn mower" with a nice shiny new one from Home Depot!

:scared-eek:   :laughing-rolling:   :laughing-rolling:   :laughing-rolling:   :laughing-rolling:  

Digger 66

Here's a little inspiration , mine looked pretty cruddy when she came home :

IMG_0648_zpsfbea6faa.jpg

IMG_0810_zpsa847404e.jpg

Welcome to the sickness ....

• Like 1

tsmall07

Man, that looks nice. Where do I get tires like that?

dodgemike

That "old lawnmower" will still be

running when the new box store

tractor poops out.:rolleyes:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Digger 66

Man, that looks nice. Where do I get tires like that?

Greater Cleveland Wholesale

Is who I ordered them from .

Deestone brand , not bad pricewise .

tractortires_zpsb286ff82.png

They will chew the heck out of your lawn , but I don't care , they look cool !  :)

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

Geno

:text-lol:     Cool matters!    :text-+1:  :text-+1:

tsmall07

Yeah, totally worth it. Haha. Mine will be used mostly in the woods so ag tires will be a must.

tsmall07

Digger, do you have the 24x12-12?

Ed Kennell

Some of the crud I found inside the engine tin and around the tranny of my 520H.

post-7208-0-52793500-1411774459.jpg

post-7208-0-42854600-1411774697.jpg

• Like 1

tsmall07

I pulled the air cleaner cover today and found nuts and fiberglass insulation. :baseball:

Edited by tsmall07

km3h

First thing I do on any tractor that comes to me is get that engine and the rest of the tractor clean. the heat that can build from lack of air circulation is the biggest killer of these engines and transmissions. They out those cooling fins there for a reason.  

tsmall07

First thing I do on any tractor that comes to me is get that engine and the rest of the tractor clean. the heat that can build from lack of air circulation is the biggest killer of these engines and transmissions. They out those cooling fins there for a reason.  

It's good advice, even on a water cooled engine.  I'll definitely hit it with the pressure washer.

Digger 66

Digger, do you have the 24x12-12?

The rears are : 23 X 10.5 X 12 

and the fronts are 4.00 - 8 

snarfbatt

I have a "39" serial 520H, verified as a '93 machine. would love to have a 60" deck. would love to drive from Indiana to take it off your hands. Just to get space in your garage.