tsmall07

Complete Noob Got a Free Tractor - 520H

tsmall07

So, I just dragged home a trailer full of a perfectly running 520-H, snow plow blade, tiller, 2 48" decks, and a trailer amongst other things.  I know nothing about the thing.  I just new it looked really HD and really cool and I really wanted it.  It appears, from what I've read in the last 10 minutes, that I got quite a score here.  Maybe the best I've ever gotten.  I'd really like to spend most of the day tomorrow reading about this thing to learn as much as possible.  I don't need to be spoon fed, but this is my first tractor experience and it would be really helpful if I could get some help in the right direction at least.  If you guys have some links for info that I should read, that would be great.

I'd also like to find out if there is a grader for this thing and if a 60" deck will fit.  How easy is it to find implements for a tractor this old? 

Is there a quick/easy to tell what year it is?

I took a crappy pic of the tractor, which I've attached. 

Thanks for the help in advance and I look forward to getting into this thing more! 

post-13967-0-16732500-1411705279_thumb.j

Edited by tsmall07
  • Like 5

608KEB

Besides the dust, looks like a pretty clean rust free machine. Welcome!!

neil

I guess you will be busy this weekend with a duster cloth ,

Nice looking machine.

Have fun

Jparkes43

wow thats really nice, i really want a 520-h, clean her up and get the id tag on the rear fender pan and someone on here wil be able to tell you the year.

james

Pullstart

2 decks?  it doesn't seem you could use both of them at once so I'll be on my way to get the 520-H, snow plow blade, tiller, just one of the 48" decks, and a trailer amongst other things... and you can keep the rest.  cool?  :ychain:

welcome and great score!

KC9KAS

:WRS:  You did good for your 1st Wheel Horse!

Lots of information in our manuals section too!

Edited by KC9KAS

Racinbob

That's sure looks like it will clean up nice. Outstanding start to what will be an addiction. I'm anxious to see it all cleaned up. Post the number as others have mentioned and you'll get all sorts of information. Browse the manual section here as well. :text-welcomeconfetti:

jackhammer

Looks like yesterday was youre lucky day ... Good for you :woohoo::text-merryxmas:

Welcome to Red Square , use a little dawn detergent and water on the tractor ,, protect your wiring and contacts, and don't scrub to hard to wash off the printed label that has the tractor Id .

daveoman1966

pm sent...  about the 60" deck

tsmall07

Here is the data tag.  I appreciate the info so far.

post-13967-0-16959400-1411732217_thumb.j

AMC RULES

Mid 90's ('94 to be exact) 520...hard to beat a free  :wh:

:WRS:

Here a model list...to search your #'s...

and an attachment list to research what fits yours.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Edited by AMC RULES

Molon_Labe

:WRS: What a deal!!! :woohoo:  A little tlc and the old :wh: will look good as new!

whtractors24

put some elbow grease into that bet ya it will look sweet when its done!

Vinylguy

I read the tag as a 93 Craig? Decals look to be 90 to 93. A 60 inch will fit but the 48 would be my choice. Great find

Geno

Nice tractor for your 1st one!   :WRS:   Yes a 60" deck will fit that one.

AMC RULES

I read the tag as a 93 Craig? Decals look to be 90 to 93. A 60 inch will fit but the 48 would be my choice. Great find

From the model list...

73501 1994 520-H Garden Tractor Automatic Onan P220G-I/10955D s/n: 4 

Ed Kennell

:WRS:   Great find, and we need more info on how you negotiated the price.

If you put 520H in the search box @ upper right, then click on forum and search, you will get a list of posts on the 520H.  Every question you may ever have is answered  somewhere in this list.

BTW, before working the tractor, In addition to doing all the normal maintenance i.e. Changing fluids and filters and general clean up, I urge you to remove enough of the tin covering the engine to inspect and clean the cooling fins on the engine especially around the rear cylinder.

The 520H is a great HORSE, but there is a history of valve seats coming loose in the rear cylinder due to heat build.

Oh,  :wwp:

My list also  says a M/N 73501 is a 1994  Craig.

Edited by ekennell

tsmall07

So, are the 90s units still good quality? I was hoping it was older.

Why would you choose a 48" over a 60"? Does it have enough power to cut well with a 60"?

tsmall07

The story of the price goes like this:

I'm a home inspector and I often run across people that need to move quickly and are down sizing or are moving great distances. These people are moving to California and were planning to leave the equipment. I talked to the purchasers and they didn't want the "old lawn mower". Perfect for me. I got a free older [running] Craftsman riding mower a couple weeks ago.

Vinylguy

60 inch decks are great if you are mowing large relatively flat areas buti find the 48 inch deckscut nicer in most other situations. But then it is really a matter of personal preference. The 20 horse on an if running properly has enough power for any deck.

Edited by Vinylguy

cheesegrader

The 90's 520H tractors are outstanding machines.

There are more safety switches, so the wiring is more of a chore, but they have power to do most anything,

and attachments are not too hard to find.

I run a 60" deck, but I have 2 acres of flat ground and no landscaping.  A 48"deck is easier to manouver, and weighs #200 less than the 60".

A 20hp engine runs the 60" deck with no problems, and it mows a huge amount of lawn really, really fast!

wake49

Nice find and nice line of work to find free equipment. Good luck with it!

:WRS:

Ed Kennell

Sooo, how do I become a "HOME INSPECTOR" ?  :ROTF:

cheesegrader

On the year question:

I'm with vinylguy.

That's a 93.

Serial number begins with 39 (for 93), not 49 (for 94).

I have a 94, and it has the newer graphics on the hood decals.

Those are 90-93 decals.

Geno

That model number is used on several years, you have to use the serial to find the right year.  That tractor is a 1993.   :)