bmsgaffer

Finally beat Geno to a 520!

bmsgaffer

Many of you know of Geno and his massive collecting effort, but few of you are as affected as those of us that live within a few hundred miles of him!

(I have much respect for Geno, but I have to rib him a little! :bow-blue: )

Despite that fact, I was able to wrangle me a horse today (it helps that it was closer to me). Real nice fellow that used to use it to cut his yard but hasn't needed it in a couple years. Its not the prettiest but it is solid. 

1991 520H, 683 hours.

post-6955-0-66388100-1411522503_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-84504400-1411522518_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-30768900-1411522535_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-17427500-1411522554_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-43059200-1411522575_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-09251300-1411522587_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-72926300-1411522599_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-78317600-1411522612_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-99004000-1411522625_thumb.jp

post-6955-0-50924200-1411522640_thumb.jp

• Like 7

dbartlett1958

Great score!  Seat looks great. The rest is just paint.

Theroundhousernr

Awsome find. I would like to find a newer 520H myself. I really have come to like mowing with my 520H. I am interested to see how much difference the reduction steering makes in turning.

Tough looking machine! :woohoo:

Geno

Looks good Brandon, you can fix the paint and make her good as new!  :text-woo:

Can I resume my hoarding now or are you looking for something else?   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Looks good Brandon, you can fix the paint and make her good as new!  :text-woo:

Can I resume my hoarding now or are you looking for something else?   :laughing-rolling:

You may resume your hoarding good sir :bow-blue: .

Actually, all in all, that bum CL seller saved me over two hours of driving and plenty of gas! (Found this one less than 30 minutes away).

It needs plenty of PB blaster and grease to get her back in running form again. The motion control lever was frozen in place and the parking brake too.

I am torn because I love the 520 (and that onan sounds amazing) but I dont like how much gas it uses. I will never be turning a 60" deck or 2 stage snow blower, so I know I dont need that much horsepower. I DID want the gear reduction steering and the swept axle to improve turning radius... So we shall see. I love all the gauges.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

You got gene drooling on that one,,,,,,,,,,,, trust me. Lol

Best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Look at the first pict...see those eyes?  AddEmoticons04236.gif

Poor  :wh: can't wait to get off that JD trailer.    :) 

Nice score Brandon.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Trouty56

Nice tractor.....520's seem to be showing up a lot lately.....

• Like 1

Geno

That's true Bob, weird how that works. 

Theroundhousernr

So have you heard it run yet or no. I am assuming no because of the control levers froze up but just wondering. Always nice to hear them fire up the first time.[emoji106] [emoji350]

bmsgaffer

Yep! She fired up the first try with a jump.

It currently suffers from the hunting problem, but I think a good carb cleaning and fresh gas will take care of that no problem. It sounds strong.

With some persuasive wiggling I got the motion control lever to move forward almost all the way (It suddenly broke free while wiggling and I left skidmarks! Hydro = strong). Still working on reverse but I brought some good liquids today to help getting everything moving.

• Like 1

kudzu3

Better lock it up tight, Geno could be on the prowl :eek:  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Shes starting to run real good. There is a slight hint of surging, but I haven't burned through the old gas yet. I put some additives in it to help clean it up as its used up. All the levers are moving smoothly. No lag getting the hydro going.

Missing a Brake pedal return spring. Some wiring issues as the tach, fuel gauge and volt meter dont work (and I see some chaffed-bare wires in the harness that are just asking for trouble). Also may need a rectifier/regulator as I get a good voltage from the stator but it doesn't seem to be charging the battery (12.5v running).

The only I can see at all seems to be coming from the oil drain pipe right at the cap so that should be quick and easy. The hydro is dry.

Bad news is that some of the sheet metal is rusted far more than I expected. I don't know if the metal can be saved with anything but a complete tear down if that.

bmsgaffer

Thanks Geno.

I was just doing some calculations for getting this thing loaded up for winter and it is sad that FULLY loaded I can only get it to weigh marginally more than an XI unloaded.

Tractor - ~600 lbs

Rider - 175 lbs

Cast weights (all 4) - 160 lbs

ProGlycol filled tires (all 4) - 146 lbs

Total = 1081lbs.

Unloaded 522xi = 1022lbs. Crazy!

Geno

Just break out the chains or put something like this on the back with more weight -

post-13404-0-40064500-1411594087_thumb.j

boovuc

Ah Ha!!!!! That appears to be one of those retro tractors. It's a modern Blackhood!

km3h

Tractor looks to be in pretty good shape. the paint is an embarrassment to the 520 but I am sure you will find a way to fix that. Glad you beat Gino to it. He has enough projects to last him a lifetime.

Geno

Hey Nick, I thought we were buds!  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

km3h

I hope we are. Of course if you start trolling Eastern Pa or Md, that might change. I might have to send my cousin Guido to pay you a visit.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Proof of life! (warning: 4 minutes of listening to an Onan and watching me steer around a parking lot)

• Like 1

Geno

I hope we are. Of course if you start trolling Eastern Pa or Md, that might change. I might have to send my cousin Guido to pay you a visit.

I'm going to near eastern PA in a few weeks to see Bob (Trouty), I better start searching up there, wouldn't want to come home with anything less than a full trailer load.  :laughing-rolling:

Proof of life! (warning: 4 minutes of listening to an Onan and watching me steer around a parking lot)

Where did the rest of the tractor go?   :popcorn: 

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I'm going to near eastern PA in a few weeks to see Bob (Trouty), I better start searching up there, wouldn't want to come home with anything less than a full trailer load.  :laughing-rolling:

Where did the rest of the tractor go?   :popcorn: 

I bought the cheapest battery I could find on my way back from picking it up and then realized that the positive would only reach if i put the terminals towards the back of the tractor. Those hoods have that funky sloped cover over the battery so if I tried to put the hood down it would try to start a fire across the two battery posts. Safer for me AND the hood if I just took it off until I got the correct battery.

The tractor is actually sitting in an empty warehouse at my work, it hasn't even made it home yet. I have to finish working on my walk behind mower so there's room in my garage to put it. Should be coming home and making the neighborhood tour on Friday at the latest. I'm itchin to get some degreaser on it and pressure wash it.

km3h

That's a great tractor and it seems to run great. GOOD SCORE!

km3h

Glad to hear that. I have a line of a couple of 520's and a D200 right near where you live. Can you transport them for me if I decide to buy the lot of them? I'll meet you in Pa.