wholdguy

Backing your Garden Cart?

wholdguy

Fellow WheelHorsers:

What advice can someone offer to make backing the garden carts and other trailers easier?

Todays task was picking up small tree limbs and branches to clean up the back yard and the trail into the woods.

I had to back the garden cart along the narrow trail into the woods to reach the pile of limbs.  Oh what a pain to back that cart on the trail.  For me it is so awkward to crank my neck around to see where that trailer is going.  

So i had the great idea to sit on the hood, looking backwards to run the steering wheel and follow where that trailer was headed.  And to make that easier I added a piece of duct tape on the bottom of the steering wheel to mark when the wheel was straight.  So now it is easy to turn the wheel to swing the trailer left or right and its all directly in my vision.

G.           CHARGER 12

post-13433-0-89655800-1411497235_thumb.j   post-13433-0-50599200-1411497273_thumb.j

AMC RULES

Somebody needs to make a :wh: dump truck.    :eusa-think: 

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Fellow WheelHorsers:

What advice can someone offer to make backing the garden carts and other trailers easier?

Just a two wheel cart?  Practice.

Four Wheeled Wagon?  LOTS of Practice.

• Like 5

CasualObserver

Don't write that off as a smart- ass reply.... it's just the truth.  With the short wheelbase we're working with... there's just nothing else.  Practice.

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

put a trailer hitch in the front, gets a lot easier, espacialy with the 4wheeled carts

Koen :flags-netherlands: 

• Like 4

rmaynard

I was always taught to hold the steering wheel at the bottom. While backing, if you want the trailer (cart) to go left, move your hand to the left. If you want it to go right, move your hand to the right.

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Try that with a Z turn.

Yep all they are good for is mowing.

We have a riders rodeo every year

Should have seen this lady playing

Frisbee golf on a Z !!

Can't stop gotta keep moving.

• Like 2

MalMac

rmaynard is right on the money. As far as backing 4 wheeled wagons it can be done but without independent brakes like farm tractors it's a tall order to do. I have been backing my 4 wheeled wagon and it takes lots of practice with a garden tractor. Talk about putting some wear on your steering components.

wholdguy

Thanks All.

I started this post to talk about 2 wheel trailers for the WheelHorse.  The one I use does have the dump feature when needed.

Again as an older gent, my neck hurts when I have to turn it all the way around to see where I'm backing.  And then I lose track of where the front wheels are going.  So the trailer goes everywhere but where I want it!

Someone should try sitting on the hood, looking straight out back at the trailer.  It seems odd but I'm telling you you can see the steering wheel, marked for straight ahead, see the trailer and still work the Hydro stick to control speed.  I did this and it seems to work.

G.                CHARGER  12

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Someone should try sitting on the hood, looking straight out back at the trailer.  It seems odd but I'm telling you you can see the steering wheel, marked for straight ahead, see the trailer and still work the Hydro stick to control speed.  I did this and it seems to work.

G.                CHARGER  12

:scared-eek:     :wwp:     :handgestures-thumbsup:

rmaynard

I'd not recommend this method if you have a stick shift.

Edited by rmaynard

Geno

How about a rear view mirror on a pole that you can raise when you need it?   Yes I am serious, it would be cool.   :popcorn:

Digger 66

So i had the great idea to sit on the hood, looking backwards to run the steering wheel and follow where that trailer was headed.  

Did we happen to get any pics of this ^  :eusa-think: .

As a semi driver of 22 years , I will offer this tidbit :

The longer the rig is , the more forgiving it is .

After driving my 48 footer with a single screw day cab all day , it's quite the episode to watch me try to back my little snowmobile trailer into the driveway with the Silverado . :roll:

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 4

doc724

I find that if I put the tractor in low range, I have much better success in getting the trailer where I want it to go.

rmaynard

After driving my 48 footer with a single screw day cab all day , it's quite the episode to watch me try to back my little snowmobile trailer into the driveway with the Silverado

Dittos on that. I used to tow a 28 foot travel trailer when I was younger. I could back it up and park it on a dime. Fast forward 20 years, and now I try to back my 12 foot utility trailer and it is a :ROTF:  matter. Backing the dump cart with the horse is even funnier. The "hand on the bottom of the wheel" method is good, but I still find myself jackknifing most of the time.

KC9KAS

I was always taught to hold the steering wheel at the bottom. While backing, if you want the trailer (cart) to go left, move your hand to the left. If you want it to go right, move your hand to the right.

An "old-timer" told me the same thing.

I'm pretty good backing 2 wheel trailers using the mirrors.......4 wheel wagons is another story!

Theroundhousernr

I have come to train myself when backing small trailors, its the little movements that count. Only takes a small turn of the wheel to get it going in the direction you want to go.  When I am on a big trailor, crank away to put it where you want. Works for me , your results may vary.... :happy-smileyinthebox:

rmaynard

They say that practice makes perfect...I keep telling myself that, but I'm getting too old for much more practice.

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

Heres one. Trailor backing competition at the wheel horse show next year!! We do alot of games at the club around my area. Not as much these days though anymore. 

.5racer

sounds like a lot of good seat time ,,,,warmer too  ,,,do a big u turn and come back to the pile :beer: 

MalMac

Digger 66, I could not agree with you more. I have driven a truck for 30 years. First time I hooked up to 28 footer after pulling 45's and 53's it's like I had never backed up a trailer before. Kinda like trying to back up a 4 wheel wagon.

• Like 1

Tankman

The longer the cart, the easier it is to back up where you want it.

Try extending the tow bar to forty five feet!  Really, much easier!   :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

pfrederi

Front Hitch!!!

Back when we had to load 1.5 ton trailers on to C141s and C130s we put a pintle on the front bumper of a 3/4 ton and pushed the trailers in.  Putting a trailer into the side of a multi million $$$ airplane is not a good thing.

As you can see I still use the same concept when i have to back up a 4 wheel trailer or put a 2 wheel device into a tight space

post-1023-0-82701800-1411563060_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-73438800-1411563084_thumb.jp

• Like 1