gumshoes

6hp tecumseh Blowbye

gumshoes

I have a new 657 with a 6hp Tecumseh that had a new short block installed several years ago. The tractor had sat for the past 5 years. I installed a new carb and changed the oil twice. The engine runs great and doesn't smoke. I am getting some oil coming from the breather tube. It doesn't do it all the time but when it does it comes out pretty good. I installed a new breather filter and the oil level is good. What could be causing it. Thanks guys...

gwest_ca

Engine oil capacity - 3/4 of a quart

Garry

gumshoes

Ya the oil level is correct.

Geno

Maybe a ring is sticking where it sat so long.  Use it for awhile and see if it clears up.  :)

slammer302

I have two Tecumseh that do the same thing the one on my lawn ranger witch I've used quiet a bit this summer seems to have stopped now maybe the more u run it it will stop

gumshoes

Thats what I thought. I've been running it. Thanks guys.

gumshoes

I took the head off and cleaned the valves which were gross. I cleaned the head and the top of the piston. It runs great now.

• Like 1

Geno

That's the fast way to do it!   :text-+1:

gumshoes

Spoke to soon. After I ran it for a little bit it started blowing oil again. What doesn't make sense is that it runs so nice and doesn't smoke at all. Also it doesn't do it all the time. It will do it for a few minutes then spot for a few minutes.

Geno

Something must be trying to work itself out, give her time.  :)

gumshoes

Ya I hope so Geno. She runs so nice. I've been waiting to buy this tractor for 15 years. It belonged to my buddies dad and I told him 15 years ago that I would buy it when he decided to get rid of it. I hadn't seen it since and forgot what model it was. I was excited when I got the call last week. It has sat for the past 5 years and he installed a new short block several years ago. It did come with a near mint 1955/56 utility cart, a deck and plow. Have a great night.

• Like 1

slammer302

I went to the mid month meet and greet and there was a beautiful lawn ranger in Larry's horse barn and it even had oil down the front of the engine I just think its very common thing for the teckys I put a piece of air hose on mine so it goes down to the ground instead all over the motor

Oops meant mid mo meet and great

gumshoes

Good idea

Terry M

My H60s blow some oil out the breather tubes :confusion-scratchheadblue: ...  all three of them..but its manageable  :)

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Don't keep them clear up to the full mark, down just a tad

And that will help a bunch. I think they are splashing oil up around the valve stems

Not so much a blow by thing.

Don't keep them clear up to the full mark, down just a tad

And that will help a bunch. I think they are splashing oil up around the valve lifters and stems

Not so much a blow by thing. Keep mine down a couple ounces after it slobbered

Oil all over the whole front end, oh well a good rust inhibitor up there I guess!

Edited by specialwheelhorse
  • Like 1

lee h

the crank case is filling up with air clean the crank case filter 

Coadster32

I went to the mid month meet and greet and there was a beautiful lawn ranger in Larry's horse barn and it even had oil down the front of the engine I just think its very common thing for the teckys I put a piece of air hose on mine so it goes down to the ground instead all over the motor

Oops meant mid mo meet and great

Just a thought...,.Could it be possible to run the hose up instead of down? Might not loose any oil at all.

groundhog47

I know mostly my fixes are prob misunderstood on the prob, but if I'm understanding your prob, oil is blowing out of valve breather..correct.

In the past as I've cured this prob, the Tecumseh crankcase breather has a down and an up. There is a return slit or hole that needs located down allowing any oil passing through to check valve dain rather than filling up and blowing past and out. I'll try and find the picture of proper position. 

Also:from manual..

BREATHER PASSING OIL

1. Check the oil level, make sure the engine is not overfilled. Also verify that the viscosity rating on the container of

the oil being used is to specification.

2. Check the angle of operation. Avoid prolonged use at a severe angle.

3. Check the engine R.P.M. setting for excessive R.P.M. using a vibratach or other tachometer and compare it to the R.P.M. settings found on microfiche card # 30 according to the engine model and specification number. Adjust the high and low R.P.M. as necessary.

4. Check for leaking or damaged gaskets, seals, or "O"-rings. External leaks may not be evident; however, the leak may prevent the engine from achieving a partial crankcase vacuum.

5. Check the breather for damage, dirty condition, or improper installation. The oil return hole(s) must face down.

6. Check the engine compression using a compression tester. If the engine has weak compression, determine the cause of weak compression: worn rings, leaking head gasket, or leaking valves. Follow the compression tester's procedure

Edited by groundhog47