js5020

Snow blower lift assist spring

js5020

Is the lift assist spring of any use on a hyd lift tractor? I used the blower last season for the first time as a replacement for a Gravely walkbehind out on the lawn for paths, dog runs etc and last season before things froze up I couldn't let the full weight of the blower rest on the skids as it would dig in. Would the lift assist spring help to keep from digging in or is it strictly for lift assistance on a manual lift machine?

Pocketraisins

Strictly for user lift assist. It will do nothing but cause excess worry and busted knuckles if you install it on a hydro.

Is there any way you could readjust the skid plates (or modify them) to keep them from digging in? I think that would be your best bet.

What model blower to you have exactly? Someone may have a suggestion depending on the model in question.

Edited by Pocketraisins

Tim

it has to help in the digging in issue

it has effectively less weight on the ground (the spring is holding some of the weight)

i like the idea of modifying the skid plate to increase surface area too

js5020

Thanks for the replies thus far, the blower in question is a 73960? later model single stage tall chute.  Im using a 16 Auto to power it.  Last season I just kept the blower up a smidge with the hydraulics after I saw it would dig in.  Its not a disaster but it sure would be nice to "drop and go".  I do have the means to mod the skids at a last resort if necessary, just checking if that spring would be of any help.

Forest Road

Try bigger skids. For what this guy sells them for I wouldn't get my hands dirty.

http://snowblowerskids.com/

squonk

Put wheels on the blower.

IMG_0059_zps695f7ec6.jpg

jackhammer

Spring ???

Snow blower assistance  needed

js5020  - not trying to hi-jack your thread but I'm looking for answers

Help needed concerning the spring --

Can anyone tell me if I should use a spring to the snow blower on an  electric lift   with my '89  312 - 8 ??   :scratchead:  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Pocketraisins -- I seen your thread but are there exceptions  for electric

Appreciate any help with this

Racinbob

No. It would be the same answer for electric. The spring was simply for assistance with a manual lift. I didn't even use it on my manual lift. :)

jackhammer

Thanks Bob appreciate the quick response

js5020

Thanks for the responses, I didn't think it would resolve the issue but had to run it by the knowledge bank.  I like the wheels, any chance there is a thread on the build?

PaulC

I have never used the spring with either of my tractors one is manual one is hydraulic.

I always have blown a portion of my grass where I park my snowmobile trailer and it was a bit tricky holding up the blower slightly with the manual lift but with the hydraulic I just bump it up some and keep my hand on the control to regulate around the uneven ground and I can get it down pretty good to where the grass shows. I don't have skids on my blower so it scrapes the concrete and ashphault like a plow.

The wheels are the only thing I would think might work for you but if the ground is a little soft I still think if you hit an uneven patch you might dig in. I would recommend just trying to regulate it by hand like I do its really not to hard.