wake49

My 854 Project

wake49

Hello. I am new to the site. I just picked up (for free!) a Wheel Horse 854 that I plan on making a project for the winter. The owner got it with the house 25 years ago from its original owner (so he says. Then again, if he's giving it up for free I see no reason for him to lie...).

He said he threw a little oil in the head and gas in the tank the morning I picked it up, threw a battery charger on it and it turned over. He suggested that I drain the current oil, throw some kerosene in and crank it over a few times to clean out the gunk. Then throw some lightweight oil in and run it for a few minutes, then drain that oil and top it off with heavyweight oil. He also suggested I clean the gas tank with toilet bowl cleaner before I add gas.

I will need to paint it to stop it from rusting in spots. It needs new rear tires (and probably fronts) because they are dry-rotted. There is some crud down on the frame under the engine.

It looks to me that it is all original. It came with a cart and an aerator. 

I took some pics this morning before I left for work. Friday night my four year old and I will start dismantling the parts I need to paint.

post-13915-0-52397900-1411039676_thumb.j

post-13915-0-90388800-1411039699_thumb.j

post-13915-0-37673000-1411039708_thumb.j

• Like 1

Geno

Hello and :WRS:

That is like the massive score!   :text-+1:    :text-+1: 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Nice pick up, a horse with a few extras,,,,, best of luck.

And of course,,,,,, a big wellcome to red square.

Glenn

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

:WRS: That will make a great project. Keep posting pictures of your progress, we love pictures!!

• Like 2

Racinbob

Welcome to the forum. That's a dandy. The 854 is probably my favorite model. Looking forward to seeing this one saved :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Carpenter

Cool tractor! It will be nice to see it have a second chance. Good luck!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Another really nice :wh: score...   :eusa-think:

interesting to note...how all these early carts, all of a sudden, start coming out of the wood work.

• Like 1

Catmanii

You can't beat free. Will be a really nice tractor with a little love and that cart will be really nice with a little cleaning and some red paint.  :)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Hey Wake :WRS: . You may want to think about changing your user name to LUCKY.  What-a-score and  at a pretty good price.

• Like 3

Geno

:text-yeahthat:    LUCKY   :laughing-rolling:  :laughing-rolling:   :text-goodpost:

• Like 1

Wayne

:WRS:  good find :)

• Like 1

KC9KAS

:WRS:  Nice 854!

I have it's little brother.....a 654!

• Like 2

wake49

Thanks everyone. Tonight my boys and I will start dismantling all the trim so I can bring all of it inside to sand and paint it.

This morning I went outside to daydream and make a battle plan for the dismantle tonight, and I noticed that there is oil on the wheel.

post-13915-0-25982300-1411125521_thumb.j

It appears this is from the transmission. It has been sitting for a few years (according to the guy I picked it up from) so I assume it has been tilted on the flat tire. Is this a good indicator that the transmission needs to be rebuilt (or at least re-gasketed)?

Molon_Labe

Thanks everyone. Tonight my boys and I will start dismantling all the trim so I can bring all of it inside to sand and paint it.

This morning I went outside to daydream and make a battle plan for the dismantle tonight, and I noticed that there is oil on the wheel.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

It appears this is from the transmission. It has been sitting for a few years (according to the guy I picked it up from) so I assume it has been tilted on the flat tire. Is this a good indicator that the transmission needs to be rebuilt (or at least re-gasketed)?

Probably just needs axle seals, not a big deal to replace. Pulling the hubs is another thing, some slide right off and others, well, there are volumes of tales posted here on the woes of pulling hubs. You'll git 'er done.

• Like 2

Racinbob

I'm thinking you should drain and flush the transmission and get some fresh lube in there. Unless the case gasket is leaking there's no need to open it up if you find it's working properly. That oil that leaked could be a blessing when you remove the hubs. :)

• Like 1

wake49

I'm thinking you should drain and flush the transmission and get some fresh lube in there. Unless the case gasket is leaking there's no need to open it up if you find it's working properly. That oil that leaked could be a blessing when you remove the hubs. :)

How do I go about draining and flushing the transmission?

ri702bill

There is a pipe plug on the very bottom of the Uni-drive for draining the unit. If the tractor runs, it helps in draining if the gear oil is warmed up - if not, it just takes longer.

Take note of what comes out - the oil may very well be contaminated with water and look milky - worst case is that there is standing water in it and you would want to split the case to check for damaged internal parts. If it is just discolored or milky, you need to flush it before refilling it. I have had good success using a 50-50 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil & new motor oil for a flush. You do need to spin the internals with the flush mix inside - drive it slowly for a few minutes or tow it behind another tractor - the idea is to get the mix to all the internals.

Getting the mix inside  - there is a second pipe plug at an angle on the lower left side for filling, but I find it easier to remove the shifter & boot in neutral & add the mix in that opening using a funnel - that will give you a small view of how nasty the inside is.

Allow the mix to drain, repeat as necessary until it shows no water. Fill with GL-5 rated 85W-90 or 90W-140 gear oil - yours takes 1 and a quarter quarts if I recall - use the side plug as a sight plug - remove it & fill until it flows out.

One more note - check the frame plate at the 4 screw holes where the Uni-drive bolts on for distortion damage & cracks - I've got 2 854's - both were damaged (but fixable).

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3

Racinbob

I'll add one thing to that and suggest that you hoist up the front  when you're draining. There's a hump inside that will trap some of the fluid.

• Like 1

wake49

Last night my son and I (mostly me. He turned a few screws here and there, but most were so frozen it took a can of WD-40 to unlock them!) removed the mower deck and took the hood, fenders, seat, belt guard and other miscellaneous parts off the tractor. I was out there about an hour and a quarter before it got to be too dark. There is so much crud and whatever else stuck to the frame. I am going to pick up some degreaser and a bottle of dawn and go to town next week.

My plan for tonight is to get a new battery and turn over the engine and see how well it runs, if it smokes, etc. 

I also noticed that the leak seems to be coming from the axle not the main seal in the tranny, so I am hoping just replacing the axle seal works. I am going to pull the transmission off while I am dismantling this thing, but I can hook it up to an electric motor to run it while I am flushing it (I think). I have a motor from an old dryer I can hook up to a dimming switch to control the power.

Pictures to follow.

Edited by wake49
  • Like 3

Ed Kennell

I like that dryer motor bench drive idea.  :eusa-think:     Perfect way to flush and drain a tranny.    Don't forget to run it through all the gears.

Perfect time to listen for any strange noise in the tranny.  :twocents-02cents:

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 2

Kegler

While you are there picking up the other stuff you might consider alternatives to the WD40 for  rusted bolts, There are several products made just for  rust busting that are better.

• Like 1

KyBlue

What a great score! Spears to be in good shape overall... For sure a wonderful horse to preserve... Will be following along

wake49

While you are there picking up the other stuff you might consider alternatives to the WD40 for  rusted bolts, There are several products made just for  rust busting that are better.

Do you think PB Penetrating Catalyst would be better? I work at a lumberyard and have access to a lot of different products for just over cost.

AMC RULES

You gotta keep couple cans of PB Blaster in stock...

PB &  :wh: go hand in hand.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:     WH algebra......   PB blaster + carb cleaner + starting fluid + Sea Foam = Happy Horse

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 3