Wheelie horse

Snow blowing questions

Wheelie horse

How nesasary is it to get wheel waits for my 416-8 if I snow blow. and if they are nesasary where can I find some wheel horse wheel waits to match the tractor

slammer302

I would say they are needed unless you are going to be using it on a very flat driveway and very dry snow that's not very deep you will find that the problem isn't going forward when clearing snow is when you need to back up and all ur weight is on the front end it makes the rearend very light you can find weights on eBay and the red square classified section

km3h

I don't use weights but do use snow chains. they work great.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You could try placing a :wh: weights "wanted" ad here in the  :rs: classifieds. 

Geno

They can't hurt.  You know the old saying, always be prepared.  :)

• Like 1

js5020

I made up a set of adapters to use barbell weights,,, many times you can find barbell weights for free. I think the adapters cost me 20 bux for the materials.

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

You should be able to get the weights from your local dealer or find a nice used set. I run chains and weights both.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I have a 416-8. I use chains, was lucky and found a set of weights, 70lb. Per weight.

Trust me,,,,,,,,, like a tank. Never tried with just chains.

Glenn

leeave96

If $$$'s is tight, you could load your tires with fluid for weight. I typically run weights and ag tires year round - mowing grass or blowing snow duties.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:WRS:   You definitely need some weight to make the blower usable. As Slammer stated above,  Especially when backing up with the blower raised and all that blower weight trying to lift the rear wheels.

I use tires with tubes loaded with window washer fluid , double vee bar chains and concrete weights made with Sakrete, 1/2" all thread, and a 5 gal bucket.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I clear the snow on four properties, and I don't want the tires spinning on any of the driveways.

If the concrete weights are of interest, I have a post on here detailing the process.

• Like 1

Geno

You can make a bracket for the rear and put anything you want on it for weight.  This came with some stuff I bought somewhere. 

post-13404-0-24335400-1411049094_thumb.j

post-13404-0-96350300-1411049105_thumb.j

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

A couple advantages to the overhung weight that Geno has. The down force is increased as the weights are moved further back, and It also decreases the weight on the front wheels reducing the load on those front spindles and making it easier to steer.

The disadvantage is it increases the load on the rear axles, hubs and bearings, although I doubt if this is a problem if hubs and bearings are not worn.

• Like 1

thehorse

Or....look around CL and find a set of cast or steel weights and paint them red! I've found 2 sets that way and they work and in my opinion look way better than chrome hubcaps.....but I'm not a fan of the hubcap.

squonk

Fill the tires. Cheap weight!  :)  :thumbs:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

RMCIII

Filled, weights, and chains are all necessary items.... Depending on your budget, you may want to do a combination of 2, or all 3. But you will need something. Besides a D250, the "xi" line is extremly heavy in weight. Nearly 1,700lbs by the time it is fitted for winter duty and rider. I still have issues at times and I have weights and chains.

Rob

Ed Kennell

Remember, What the Squonk said made cents...ers..scents..er..sense .  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

Geno

I hear that a lot around here.   :laughing-rolling:

GM_Man

Here's an interesting wheel weight idea I saw on craigslist. They're car drums filled with lead.

post-13500-0-58648500-1411306801.jpg