localdj77

Tire questions in prep of using snow blower on 312-8

localdj77

Well thanks to you guys my 312-8 has been doing great all summer!  Next month I will be prepping the blower for use this winter and wanted to know if you had any tire suggestions.

I will be getting new front tires (suggestions on where to buy is appreciated) but currently everything is a standard turf tire.  Will these be ok for winter?  Most of the time I will be moving 6" or less with a slight slop down the driveway.

Also I've seen some suggest filling the tires with washer solvent.....

First time using a PTO blower so all suggestions accepted!!!

I also need a good source for the cable that controls the chute.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

Racinbob

Your tires would be fine. If you wanted the additional weight all the better. I used stainless aircraft cable on mine when it needed replacing. A good hardware store should have it. Maybe even one of the big box stores. You can use the coated if you like but I found that it didn't hold up well with the flexing and cold.

can whlvr

I use heavy duty wipper snipper line,works great,ya it doesn't last as long as stainless cable but is easy to install and I allways have some on hand

boovuc

You will need chains and weight for the rear end. If you don't want to use chains on a paved driveway that you care for, then loaded Ag tires would be better in the snow. The thinner, the better. (23x8.50x12). I also use a long bolt up/thru the tow bar and put about 30 to 40 lbs of free weights on that.

localdj77

Thats a good idea.  I guess since the thrower is on there it would be good to weight the back a bit.

Hossenfeffa

Right now Amazon.com has a good price on Carlisle 23x8.5x12 tires. $58 a piece

• Like 1

localdj77

Thats a decent deal but isn't the size supposed to be 23x9.5-12?

Hossenfeffa

I can only get 8.5 on mine without changing rims. I think the narrower tires would work better in the snow

localdj77

I think at this point I will address the one leaking front and leave the rest alone until next year.  I'm thinking about loading (with liquid) the rears and maybe chains but haven't decided.....what the easiest and most cost effective way to load?

localdj77

Yeah I got boned on that one!  I just in the genuine Toro part and thats all it is!  I figured it had some kind of special ends or something on it.  My blower doesn't have the cable so I made a bad assumption!  lol  oops

bmsgaffer

Make sure you get a video of that thing. I'm looking forward to see how it does for you!

localdj77

Will do!  I'll be hooking up up for a test fit and run next month and I'll post a vid/pic of that too......wish me luck!

Mr.phil

My 312-8 owners Manuel suggests raising air pressure from 12psi to 25-30PSI for applications that work off the front of the tractor.

cheesegrader

Higher front tire pressure really heps.

Loading the rears might be a problem if you plan to use it to mow.

You are stuck with the extra weight, even when you might not want it.

Rear weight helps a lot, and rear wheel WEIGHTS put the weight on the ground, not on your wheel bearings, 

so I would recommend starting there.

I am not happy with weight brackets on the rear of my snowthrowing maching.

I have to make a few tight turns, and the extra length of the blower out front makes it hard enough.  

Extra length off the back, even just a foot, makes maneuvering a living hell.

My barn has a big dent in the corner from last winter.  Want to guess how?

• Like 1

Nathanielperz

Well thanks to you guys my 312-8 has been doing great all summer!  Next month I will be prepping the blower for use this winter and wanted to know if you had any tire suggestions.

I will be getting new front tires (suggestions on where to buy is appreciated) but currently everything is a standard turf tire.  Will these be ok for winter?  Most of the time I will be moving 6" or less with a slight slop down the driveway.

Also I've seen some suggest filling the tires with washer solvent.....

First time using a PTO blower so all suggestions accepted!!!

I also need a good source for the cable that controls the chute.

Thanks in advance!

I got a pair of tri rib tires for my tractor... they are supposed to help with turning in loose soil and I would imagine they would help turn in snow too.

-Nate

localdj77

Anyone know where I could score some wheel weights?  I agree that "unsprung" weight is the best bet.  Just have no clue how to find weights for such an old rig!

bmsgaffer

Want ad here or check whats for sale on C/L.

The plastic covered cement weights are the cheapest and weight in around 40-50lbs per wheel. They just stick out a lot from the wheel.

Cast Iron weights can be found too but usually more expensive (~$1 per lb) but many of them will slip inside the rim and be flush with the tire. You can find these anywhere from 25lb to 75lb per tire.

Just a note, almost any weights made for a 12" wheel will work. You dont have to get WH specific. I'm running Bolens weights on the back of mine.

bmsgaffer

Also, most wheel weights can be shipped via the postal service "Priority Mail Flat Rate" in their large boxes for about $17 each. Just make sure they are packed well because the box will be completely destroyed when it arrives... Gives you a wider range of places to buy them from.