meadowfield

Wheel Horse family tree

meadowfield

I got to thinking a few months ago that it might be interesting to use the family tree concept to map out the entire wheel horse family.

It's easy to plot right from an RJ up to a black hood knowing that they evolved into round hoods, short frame, long frame, hydros, etc, etc   I'm up for drawing this up, but might just need a little help as whilst I know my wheel horse onions - I'm by no means an expert :D

I think as a point of reference it could be incredibly useful esp. when it comes down to swapping out engines, transmissions, etc.

Here's a quick sketch of what I was thinking, thoughts??

post-3321-0-62658300-1410883928_thumb.jp

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hi nutjob,,,, there is some merit there. Good job.

Glenn

Lane Ranger

I like it!   Helps understand the family evolution!

AMC RULES

Yeah, good luck getting that right...    :eusa-doh: 

you're not gonna forget our six toed cousins are you? 

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Here's a quick sketch of what I was thinking, thoughts??

Where's the rest of 1962? :scratchead:  Interesting idea. I'd move the 701 to the next column,  the first short frame.  and really, the Lawn Rangers are Short Frames too...just shorter tires.

Geno

That's gonna be a big list but would be very helpful.    :text-+1:  

Wayne

not sure I have much to contribute there, but what a great idea! add pics and I bet you people would buy copies to hang on the wall

jackhammer

meadowfield,,

Beings I don't know anything about quite a few of them , it would be a great asset in understanding other members lingo.

Interested in seeing what can come of this !!

dtallon

I definitely think this idea has some merit.  In addition to Wheel Horses, I have a passion for Caterpillar tractor history and have compiled something similar for Cat tractors.  I use it frequently as a reference for production dates, model lineage and serial numbers.  The format would need to be tweaked slightly for WH, but I think the overall concept would work well.  For those not familiar with Cat tractors, the general format is timeline across the top, models arranged in order of increasing size from top to bottom.  Models that share a platform (in this case, gas & diesel) are in adjacent boxes, spaces between boxes indicate separate platforms.  Wheel Horse has produced alot more models, and changed the names more frequently, so it would take some work to get all the info entered.  

Dave

cattimeline.jpg

stevasaurus

WOW...this could be a can of worms and like where do you stop.  Doing this for round hoods would be an endeavor in itself.  Getting to the different hoods, different types of throttles and chokes, the foot rests, different fenders and tool boxes, where and how the gas tank was mounted, seats, steering wheels, and transmissions.  This is a great idea for documenting the evolution of how they did things from one year to the next, but they are not Corvettes...especially when it came to what they did in the Belgium factory and what you guys have over there.  I would separate your spreadsheet into the different kinds of horses...but keep it roundhoods...shortframes...etc.  Maybe that is what you are thinking.  :)  What do you think..glad to help where I can.  :)

• Like 1

JimD

It seems to me that there already exists the exact thing you're trying to accomplish. The following links will take you to a Wheel Horse model I.D. list from '55 to '84,

http://www.scribd.com/doc/50699203/Wheel-Horse-Model-Identification-List-1955-84

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/tractor-brands/wheelhorse/wheelhorse-lawn-tractors.html

and a Wheel Horse interchangeability list by year.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47347713/Toro-WheelHorse-Accessories-Interchange-2000-1955-2000

I might be missing your point on what it is you want to do, just thought I'd share these.

• Like 1