kudzu3

Only wheel horse?

oaktown1987

I have an allis 312 needs parts thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kudzu3

Interesting responses. The purchase didn't work out, so right now I have only wheel horse. The tractor I was looking at was a beautiful little JD 110, but in this case, beauty was only skin deep. The exterior sheet metal had been really nicely finished and painted but beyond that, nothing was given any attention. I don't understand why anyone would put that much time and money into a project and not finish it. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Geno

I see that way to much.  Seems like in a lot of cases the better they look the more work they need.  :eusa-doh:

• Like 1

Tankman

Wheel Horse Addicted however many good garden tractors out there. I am allergic to big box stores and vertical shaft engines. Horizontal engines only in my barn.

There are many tractor forums find one for your tractor.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Sounds like you got the better end of the deal.   :handgestures-thumbsup:  

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

Variety is the spice of life.

We all collect tractors for various reasons. Some brands are better engineered than others, some are manufactured for a certain price market, some are historically a good dependable tractor and some just defy all reason although there are not too many of these thank goodness.

To each their own. Can you imagine what values our Wheel Horse's would have if they were the only tractor being collected? And, think about how hard to find they would be.

Like people, I find beauty and use in almost every tractor I see.

Albeit some more than others. ;-)

Edited by Fun Engineer
  • Like 2

Geno

To each their own. Can you imagine what values our Wheel Horse's would have if they were the only tractor being collected? And, think about how hard to find they would be.

I'm working on it.   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I have not bought any, but I have always liked the looks of the Panzers, Allis Chalmers, and the Minneapolis Molines.  :)

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I've had two Massey MF10s.  They were nice tractors, well built.  But alas, they (and their Teccy motors)  had to walk the plank! pirates-plank.gif

• Like 2

LindsayLaperr

My neighbour has a 1964 case that started off with a 12 hp Kohler and he upgraded to a 16 hp Kohler and I'm not just a little jealous, it's beautiful. He tows a 1964 pull start welder with it (period correct) coolest guy at our vintage tractor / motorcycle show - all the young chopper guys were crowded around ogling

Wheel-N-It

I confess too. I have a IHCC 1650, a JD 140H3, and a Simplicity 728 that is the rider I learned on. The Simplicity has a vertical shaft briggs. Some would say its not a garden tractor but Simplicity did make attachments for it such as a rear mounted tiller, so some would say it is a garden tractor. I'm not saying either way. All I know is its the one I learned how to drive and mow the lawn with so its part of the family.

IthacaJeff

I've got a Deutz-Allis 1920 (Simplicity Sunstar clone) with a Kohler Magnum 20 hp, 60' deck, hydro, 2 speed rear end, 

locking rear end, power steering, a brute and a tank. When it is running well (got a carb issue or coil) it mows better and faster

than my WH 416-8. One day I'll fully restore the DA 1920. . .but in the meantime the 310 and 416 plow snow, till the

garden, mow, and pull way-too-heavy trailers. Gas and 2 oil changes a year. That's it. They keep getting the job done.

oaktown1987

Will u send pics of ur 310 and 416 and plow

Sparky

I use my fathers day gift that my wife bought new for me. Its a 2001 Craftsman GT3000 and it does most of my mowing chores. The triple bagger is fantastic for grass clippings and leaf pickup.

I know they get a bad rap but (other than regular maintenance) she has only needed a new battery after the original Die-Hard quit after 7 or 8 years. Of course I don't strap on a plow and attack frozen snow-banks with it, she just see's mowing duty.

Mike...........

post-2-0-56800100-1411268080.jpg

• Like 2

km3h

The Craftsman I use is a 2006 3000. I found it sitting by the road with a sign stating bad engine, please take away. I brought it home and found the Briggs 20 HP single cylinder had tossed a rod right through the block. I had a Briggs opposed twin 18 HP sitting in the shop and it bolted right up with no other modifications. That engine must be 20 years old and is strong as an ox. Been cutting grass with it for at least four years and it starts first time every time. The more Wheel Horses I get the more I am tempted to sell the Craftsman but it don't eat anything so I will probably keep it around for a spell.

post-2564-0-19208900-1411269997_thumb.jppost-2564-0-25353900-1411270017_thumb.jp

• Like 2

ben06351

My only other tractor is a 63 gravely L8. I use it for the brush hog attachment, rotatory plow, and rotatory tiller. I'd love to get a kohler powered gravely 2 wheel one day. 

Hi Jrblanke I just started going through a 1962 L8 I have a 566 powered by a big old Kohler love that beast, It's a bit too fast sometimes, How is the L8 with the rotary plow??

Molon_Labe

I've owned numerous GT's but have to say that the :wh: is head and shoulders above the rest. Still have my JD210 which I'm mighty fond of but if push came to shove the Horses would win out.

I finally gave the JD 210 to my oldest son, age 42, for his birthday. Now I own nothing but :wh:

• Like 1

WheelHorse79

I have 4 Wheel Horses (RJ-58, 854, 1045 and C-101) and also have a '93 JD 425 AWS.  I use the 425 for mowing, tilling and hauling mulch.  It is a great tractor and has always done what I have asked of it.  If Wheel Horse made a model with AWS, power steering and 3 point hitch, then I would consider replacing the 425 with it.  I still use the C-101 for occasional mowing and winter snow plow duty.  My other horses are "retired".  I have no qualms about other vintage LGTs, there are some other brands that have made good tractors in the past.

post-8950-0-19962500-1413155599_thumb.jp

Geno

I finally gave the JD 210 to my oldest son, age 42, for his birthday. Now I own nothing but :wh:

I sold the only non Horse last week , I'm with you.  :)

• Like 1

Molon_Labe

I sold the only non Horse last week , I'm with you.  :)

The engineering differences in the earlier models (through the C series) is remarkable. The :wh: engineers performed the same tasks in a much simpler but superior way than others. Nothing but horses for me from now on!!

• Like 1

Jrblanke

Hi Jrblanke I just started going through a 1962 L8 I have a 566 powered by a big old Kohler love that beast, It's a bit too fast sometimes, How is the L8 with the rotary plow??

Ben,

The L8 with rotary plow was awesome. I cut through roots up to about 1/2" in diamter. Over that, it would stop the plow blade and I would have to disengage and cut the root with an axe. As far as speed goes, I ran it in low/low and at that speed, it cut through the ground just fine. 

ELECTRORIC

I own a 1964 JACOBSON CHIEF,1964 MF 8 Executive,Bolens Versamatic walk behind and thirteen Wheel Horses I use the horses for working & pleasure they are for sure my favorite to use and work on.

cleat

I currently have 2 WH 520's and a Ford LGT165.

The Ford has a 42" deck and a front blade.

The Wheels horses have lots of attachments, 42 and 60" decks, 2 stage blower, front blade, mid blade, tiller.

A few years ago I had an old Simplicity Baron with a 42" deck, front blade, and single stage snow blower. I sold this setup to my Sister. It had an old school cast iron Briggs engine. Snow blowing was OK but where this machine really showed it's colours was mowing. This machine had the nicest cut of any tractor I have ever owned. Drawback was the 4 speed trans. went from slow to slower. Made cutting the grass take a long time.

I may sell the Ford next spring since I do not use it much any more.

Cleat