kudzu3

Only wheel horse?

kudzu3

I'm looking at a ?? garden tractor :scared-ghostface: , and will probably bring it home soon. I guess it would be safe to keep the brand confidential right now :angry-nono: , but I was just wondering, how many have lawn and garden tractors other than Wheel Horse?

Aldon

I have a massey MF12 that I really like. Posted it for sale and was not unhappy that there was no interest.

I like its simplicity....and all garden tractors of the era seem to be pretty good.

Parts and implement availability makes my wheel horse more desirable.

Edited by Aldon

oldredrider

There you have it! Only 1 person owns something other than a Wheel Horse!!!

• Like 2

Geno

Read My Signature!  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 2

Forest Road

Feel free to purchase it. Just don't talk about it here. I'm sure somebody might get offended.

Geno

He can talk about it here, we have the other brands section.  If someone gets offended that's their problem, people can do whatever makes them happy.  :)

I do most of my mowing with a Cub Cadet Commercial zero turn, wouldn't want to get the Horses dirty you know.  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 4

Racinbob

You can post the brand. The worse that will happen here is some good natured ribbing. There are a lot of older garden tractors that are fine machines. You just have to look past the John Deeres, Bolens, etc. that they sell at the big box stores now. One that comes to mind is an old (early 60's I think) Bolens my wifes grandfather had. It was very stout and had a differential locking feature I thought was cool. Take a look at one of the forums that covers all brands and you'll see some neat stuff. :) I think quite a few here have other brand(s) as well and there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

Forest Road

Mmmm the problems of chat rooms and social media.... Sarcasm is often lost.

Being on this site and purchasing any other brand is akin to the Ghost Busters and the Stay Puff Marshmallow man. Don't say it, don't even think it..... Well most of us know how that one turned out.

Really though best of luck with any other brand. Happy mowing!

• Like 3

CasualObserver

I think you'll find that many serious garden tractor enthusiasts often branch out and see what other brands had to offer.  Wheel Horse is only one design to accomplish the tasks.  I've owned several other brands in the past, they usually don't stay more than a couple years (if that long).  If you want to truly appreciate the simplicity of the Wheel Horse design, you really need to own some other brands.  Besides... other brands are usually good trading stock.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

What ever brand it is...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

I'm sure there is a forum out there for them too.

• Like 1

dtallon

Wheel Horse wasn't my first, or even my second GT, but it is by far the brand I have brought home the most.  As an engineer, I appreciate the varied designs the different manufacturers came up with to perform essentially the same tasks.  Dare I say it, there are certain features I like better about other off-brand tractors and/or attachments, but there are always trade-offs.  Even if you are die-hard Wheel Horse, I think there is value in at least studying the other brands a bit.  You never know when you might need a part for your WH tractor and there is one that could easily be had on a tractor from another brand, especially when it comes to engine parts.  

Dave

• Like 1

Pullstart

My 4 and 6 year old daughters love their 16 horse hydrostat Simplicity.  Of course I removed the deck and keep a close eye, but even they know that Daddy's tractor is better :)  Reality is lately, I've been working ON the 502 more than working WITH it.  like cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc - there will always be brand bashers.  but a true enthusiast has their favorites and their respect for other enthusiast's favorites.  I fall somewhere between as I love to pick on certain 4 letter F word vehicles :)

N3PUY

My first (GT) was a Wheel Horse ... now there's 5.     But behind the shed is a Roper RT10 and a Gravely 408.  Both of those from early 70s and well built.  And they don't get the respect that the horses do.

post-6866-0-37036700-1410904727_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-16481600-1410904733_thumb.jp

Edited by N3PUY

Wishin4a416

I have a Kubota and a Deere also.

km3h

Well I have several what you would call off brand tractors. Two Case 444's with 3 point hitches and a tiller snow blade and decks. Also have a Case 220 with deck. The Big Boy of my collection is a MTD 995 with Deck 3 point and deck. Been looking for a snow blade for it but they are hard to come by. I also have a Ford LGT 165 with 3 point hitch and rear power takeoff with a deck. If you want to talk about simplicity, the Case design is it. No complicated wiring and no complicated transmission. I bet you could completely dismantle it and then put it back to operating condition in less than three hours.

For years I have cut my grass with a Craftsman because I did not want to dirty up my other tractors but lately I have been using my Wheel Horse 416-H with 48 inch deck because I find that it is very comfortable to operate and it does a great job cutting grass. It is not a sin to own other brands of tractor as long as you fully realize that Wheel Horse is the best.

I will; tell you this, that Case tiller is one good piece of equipment. I can't compare it with the Wheel Horse because I don't own as tiller for it. I don't doubt the Wheel Horse will do just as good a job though.

This is the first time I have mentioned other brands of tractors on this forum so don't cut me down too hard. I presently own five Wheel Horse tractors.

Edited by km3h
  • Like 1

motox25

Ok, I'll be THAT guy, my other worker is a craftsman. At first I planned on selling it after I got it running but it has a Kohler Magnum twin engine in it that's hard to beat. Doesn't burn a drop of oil and plenty of power.

Molon_Labe

I've owned numerous GT's but have to say that the :wh: is head and shoulders above the rest. Still have my JD210 which I'm mighty fond of but if push came to shove the Horses would win out.

N3PUY

I had to go over to the neighbors this evening.  His "Orange" tractor won't move.  Yep.... he was correct.  So I pulled 6 crazy hairpins and removed the deck.  Then I grabbed the steering wheel to tip it and put blocks under the wheels so I could look under it ............ I about flipped it over on me when I gave it a good yank.   WOW.... that's light!  Anyhow ... the problem is a melted plastic idler pulley.  The bearing is not smooth.  

Comparison.... 

The "RED" one ready to work.

The "Orange" one napping.

post-6866-0-73551700-1410908620_thumb.jp

post-6866-0-80330100-1410908624_thumb.jp

• Like 5

bitten

I have 5 Hores's and dont mow with any of them. Garden tractors and lawn mowers are two different things in my book and Wheel Horse didnt make a lawn mower that will out perform my Ferris for mowing yards. But that Ferris isnt any good at doing anything else. 

There are some very very good garden tractors out there. The interchangeability of the attachments are very hard to beat. Most people can figure out how to work on them with out an engineering degree. And most everything is in a financial reach for me. 

wh500special

Branching out is encouraged. I have a couple Deeres, a Cub Cadet, and a Simplicity. It's neat to see how different people address the same problems.

One thing that strikes me is how far WH was willing to take their concept of he ideal tractor layout. Fundamentally, there isn't much separating a 1961 model 701 from the last classic tractor built in 2007. Sure the engines grew and features changed, but the tractors are remarkably similar.

Not so when you contrast what deere or cc were up to over the same span. The first deere 110 looked a lot like the layout of the 701. Twenty years later the competing series from both manufactures were miles apart.

WH remained a simple, minimalist design for years. It got the job done. Other manufacturers continued to evolve. Some for better, some not.

Get your tractor of another color and enjoy it. You'll hear some ribbing here and there, but it's only in jest.

I've hit the point where I'm really starting to appreciate what some of the other manufacturers offered. But I haven't put the horses out to pasture yet.

Steve

• Like 2

ben06351

My other GT'S are the attachments for my Gravely 2 wheel. It's a 1977 566. If Wheel horse had a brush hog and a tiller that could do half of what the gravely can do, I'd sell it. But seriously, just enjoy your Old Iron. Most people are happy as long as it's old. Hehebe

CasualObserver

If Wheel horse had a brush hog and a tiller that could do half of what the gravely can do, I'd sell it. 

Like this?  Yeah... they're out there.

201427.jpg

As for the tiller.... I've been happy with my Wheel Horse one. Digs like a champ.

tiller1-1.jpg

• Like 6

55rj35jr

Wheel Horse is my #1 tractor collection,,(aka tractorholic)but like them all check out my signature below

ben06351

Well now that's something.

• Like 1

Jrblanke

My only other tractor is a 63 gravely L8. I use it for the brush hog attachment, rotatory plow, and rotatory tiller. I'd love to get a kohler powered gravely 2 wheel one day.