chipwitch

Unveiling: tub style chicken plucker implement

chipwitch

Finally finished the chicken plucker implement.  Okay, it ain't purdy, but it's going to be put to use tomorrow.  Will take video of it in action.  It's a bit on the heavy side, but it attaches in two parts.  The primary frame attaches to the tach-a-matic.  The secondary frame slides from left to right into a receiver on the primary frame.  The secondary belt is installed at this point, the secondary frame is then slid left to take up the slack in the belt.  A hand knob on the bottom is tightened to secure the secondary frame and secondary belt.  The primary belt is the tiller belt, repurposed, threaded from pto to the mule drive to the 10" pulley on the primary frame.  The secondary belt further reduces the rpm 5:1.  I designed the gear reduction to be approximately 12:1.  For the C-125, that should result in variable speed of the feather plate between about 175 to 280 rpm.  I put a photo tach to it and got a reading of about 100 rpm at idle.  At WOT it was about 275 rpm.  Low end was out of line.  Either the engine is idling too slow or I've got some slippage.  I'll have to check it more thoroughly as the numbers were jumping around quite a bit.  I may not have had the best conditions for accurate measurement. 

Anyway... here it is!  After I use it tomorrow, maybe I'll knock off some of that rust and give it a paint job.  Or, maybe I'll just start the next project!  :techie-eureka:

post-13140-0-94511000-1410641360_thumb.j

post-13140-0-67006400-1410641363_thumb.j

post-13140-0-12774100-1410641406_thumb.j

post-13140-0-32811500-1410641407_thumb.j

post-13140-0-60906900-1410641408_thumb.j

post-13140-0-75342700-1410641409_thumb.j

post-13140-0-51998100-1410641488_thumb.j

post-13140-0-72345900-1410641574_thumb.j

• Like 8

AMC RULES

WT-EFF?    :scared-eek:    :popcorn: 

Chicken plucker you say? 

• Like 5

Sparky

So are we gonna get a video of it in action (with a chicken!!)

Very cool one-of-a-kind attachment :eusa-clap:  !

Mike...........

• Like 2

Geno

Just when I thought I had seen it all.    :scared-eek:    Can't wait to see it work!  :eusa-clap:

• Like 1

ol550

:confusion-confused:   :confusion-confused:   :confusion-confused:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:banana-gotpics:   Can hardly wait for this one. :banana-tux:

KC9KAS

You are using actual feather pluckers in the drum!

Molon_Labe

Dude! That if freaking awesome. Can't wait to see the results. I'm betting no more than 30 seconds per plucking. :bow-blue:

Ed Kennell

That thing has to be quite noisy.    :happy-bouncymagenta:  :happy-bouncyblue:

Those  birds will really cackle  when get tickled by those magic fingers.

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

When I was a boy .....

we had to do this by hand,

and burn off the pin feathers over a saucer of burning alcohol !

You kids with your new-fangled contraptions !!

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

Man this is going to hit the news one way or another!   Good, bad or indifferent -necessity is the mother of invention!

• Like 2

dcrage

"and burn off the pin feathers over a burning saucer of burning alcohol!"

Alcohol?? We used wadded up newspaper. That was after getting yelled at a couple times by our uncles for not doing a better job of plucking.

"and burn off the pin feathers over a burning saucer of burning alcohol!"

Alcohol?? We used wadded up newspaper. That was after getting yelled at a couple times by our uncles for not doing a better job of plucking.

Save Old Iron

Alcohol?? We used wadded up newspaper.

Yeah, but we used to have walk uphill both ways to buy the alcohol.

AMC RULES

...in snow up to our neck.   :)

boovuc

Scald and pluck, scald and pluck. That "implement" looks like it was owned and operated by Vincent Price!

I hope it rinses out easy!  :scared-ghostface:

chipwitch

Well, my day couldnt have gone much worse.  The one bright spot was the chicken plucker.  It worked beautifully!  The two of us only had 11 cornish cross and 4 young  guinea fowl.  The cornish were about 10 lb and the guineas were less than 3.  A couple of the guineas had feet fall between spinning plate and the tub... ie got stuck.  Otherwise, 15 to 30 seconds each.  The biggest problem i had was while dunking a bird in the scald pot.  My girlfriend had placed an aluminum rod we were using to dunk the birds right next to the fire.  It was just far enough away to look like the fire wasnt hitting it... but it was.  Burned my right hand palm bad.  Still have ice on it. Ive only had the use of one hand since.  Of course, all the birds had already been killed.  We had to finish them.  I wasnt much help.  She ended up doing most everything by herself.  Took us 4 hours as a result.  Oh well.  Wuddayagunnadoo?

Took some video.  I'll post it tomorrow.

• Like 1

RMCIII

:eusa-think: So, was the "chicken plucker" a success or not???

Rob

Geno

We have absolutely got to have a video of that monster working!   :handgestures-thumbsup:

Ed Kennell

What. :angry-tappingfoot: ...No pluckin video this morning.  You mean I got up early for nuthin. 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

that is one of the best things ever!! (hilarious but awesome)

james

posifour11

Love it! I have the whizbang plucker book and had thought of using a horse. I'm glad to see the idea works. Thanks for the video

Ed Kennell

WOW... Now that was worth the wait. :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:  :text-thankyouyellow:  :text-thankyouyellow:  :text-thankyouyellow: 

Edited by ekennell