zieg72

Mule drive help

combatmp29r

Dale, Sorry for the pic thing I'm sure my Commando V18 thread is one of the bad ones. I didn't realize that the pics were that big until I put them on there. I think I have them fixed now, so I'm going to edit my post and put the smaller ones in I hope. If not :D back to square 1

Joel

Curmudgeon

Nick, I'm 8 miles from town, and half that from cable. You ARE lucky! My ISP is slowly putting up towers for line of sight wireless, but he's coming from the next county and it'll be a while yet.

Kevin, don't want to burst your bubble, but the smaller, outside pulley on the engine will run the deck slower, not faster. At least on the smaller decks there is a difference in the cut quality. More than once I've read on forums of guys complaining about quality of cut, and it was traced to using the outside pulley. Apparently the 20" blades have enough tip speed at the slower speed they still function ok.

Dale

Curmudgeon

Dale, Sorry for the pic thing I'm sure my Commando V18 thread is one of the bad ones. I didn't realize that the pics were that big until I put them on there. I think I have them fixed now, so I'm going to edit my post and put the smaller ones in I hope. If not :D back to square 1

Joel

Joel,

Uh, yeah, that thread is one them that became impossible for me to look at. Thanks much for making the changes. I've already yacked with you about this project on the yahoo group. It's not a heavily used group, but I found your pictures there INTERESTING and had asked for more of the hood.

Dale

Curmudgeon

Kevin,

Looking at your comparison pictures again. Yes guys, this is bugging me. LOL I see two different styles of mule drive. That could explain the differences in alignment.

But darn it! Everything I found to nick pick about was actually Nick's drive, which works fine. Hmmmmmm. Got me on that one!!!

Rest:

I still don't like that amount of misalignment, but if others have it, and it's working for them, let's look for something else. A buggered up pulley on the deck, or the mule drive (we can't see the entire pulley, and it would take only small notch in the pulley). How about the belt rubbing on the deck top? Another bracket near by?

I'd hate to see Zieg invest in a different mule drive, different style, thinking it was going to cure the problem, only to still have it!!

Dale

kpinnc

Kevin, don't want to burst your bubble, but the smaller, outside pulley on the engine will run the deck slower, not faster.

Not bursting a bubble Dale, and I stand corrected. I wasn't focusing on that particularly when I posted it. Unfortunately, I do that often, and you have usually been kind enough to call me on it. No problems here at all.

On the two different mule drive comparisons, one thing I was trying to point out was the different angles from which the belts enter/exit the mule drive from one tractor to another, and ONLY on the inner pulley. It seems odd to me that there would be a significant difference in the location of the PTO from one tractor to another, and I can't think of another reason for the obvious difference. Yes, there are two different mule drives pictured, but the basic dimensions of both are the same, or at least VERY similar.

Like you Dale, this problem really bugs me. The "fix" will likely be so simple we'll all get a laugh out of the mess we made of it. :D

Kevin

Curmudgeon

One thing I've wondered, is the shaft the pulleys run on mounted in EXACTLY the same position and EXACTLY the same angle, up/down, front/back and both styles? That's something virtually impossible to determine from pics.

OK, I'm going to fess up to something here that happens to me every few years. The snow flew before I got the mower deck put away. Now the mower tractor, complete with deck still attached, is snowed in the barn out on the hill. I was out there today, so took a gander. DAD GUM IT!!!!, the inside belt doesn't exactly line up as well as I thought it did. Not far off mind you, but just a touch to the inside. At least as best as I could see past the guard. Too darn cold to be tearing things apart for a better look, and there are few tools out there anyway. The flat pulley looked pretty good though, no rubbing on the sides.

The dilemma goes on.

Dale

Nick

Ok, I didnt make it back to get a picture of my brothers mule. But I did stop to see my other brother at work and they had a 60 deck and mule sitting in with other decks. So I dug it out and got a couple pictures. Couldnt get a real good shot but to me it looks near the same as the other two. :D

blower07.jpg

blower06.jpg

zieg72

I don't think my mule drive is the problem looking at the others pictured.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1199660057.jpg

zieg72

Here is another shot

post-4-1199660157.jpg

zieg72

another

post-4-1199660198.jpg

zieg72

Here is one more. Any ideas???

post-4-1199660312.jpg

nylyon

The belt is on the wrong pulley on the PTO, it needs to be on the inside pulley, it will make the blades spin faster too!

zieg72

The belt is on the wrong pulley on the PTO, it needs to be on the inside pulley, it will make the blades spin faster too!

The pulley on the engine? I only have one.

TT

Move the belt to the inside groove, Zieg.

nylyon

There should be 2 grooves on the PTO Pulley on the engine. An inner one and outer one. In the pictures, I can clearly see that the belt is on the outer pulley, but the hood blocks the view of the inner pulley.

snow5.JPG

not the best angle, but you can see that there are 2 grooves, the belt should be in the groove closest to the engine.

Karl

zieg72

There should be 2 grooves on the PTO Pulley on the engine. An inner one and outer one. In the pictures, I can clearly see that the belt is on the outer pulley, but the hood blocks the view of the inner pulley.

not the best angle, but you can see that there are 2 grooves, the belt should be in the groove closest to the engine.

Karl

Karl

Thanks, I don't think my PTO has 2 grooves but I will check tomorrow. Did the make one with only 1 pulley groove?? That sure would make everything line up better if I did have an inside groove for sure. Just like it was said way earlier in the post, probably something simple. I will let everyone know my findings. Carl

nylyon

I haven't seen one with just 1 groove, but I've been wrong many (too many actually) times before, but you should have 2.

Curmudgeon

Now dad gum it!!!!!!!!

I asked about whether the inside pulley was being used WAY BACK in this discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard, nor seen a pto with only one pulley. That is a moot point though, as I can see your inside groove in one of the pictures anyway.

Dale

zieg72

Now dad gum it!!!!!!!!

I asked about whether the inside pulley was being used WAY BACK in this discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never heard, nor seen a pto with only one pulley. That is a moot point though, as I can see your inside groove in one of the pictures anyway.

Dale

Sorry, like I said way before, this is my first real WH... My 269H is way different. I think I have the proper pulley. I sure hope this is it.....

Attached Image

post-4-1199665809.jpg

nylyon

Well Dale was correct a while back. You have the correct PTO, but you need to move the belt to the inside. That'll help with the alignment issue you're having.

TT

I think I have the proper pulley. I sure hope this is it.....

That's it, Carl. It should look like this when corrected:

060c333e.jpg

zieg72

Does the outside pulley drive the snowblower and tiller attachments?

TT

The manuals that come with the attachment usually specify which groove to use.

My snowthrower belt lines up better with the outer groove, but I run it on the inside for increased speed.

I think the tiller does call for the outside groove because of the location of the transfer pullies.

Jim_M

Both the tiller and the snowblower use the outside grooves. As far as I know the only attachment that uses the inside groove is the mower deck.

WheelHorse_of_course

Note that since the shaft rotates (and therefore changes angle) the angle would be wrong if the wrong belt were used!