zieg72

Mule drive help

zieg72

Hello, brand new here. Looking for someone who has a 60" deck on their 520 tractor to look at their mule drive. My belt is wearing because it rides on the outside and shreds the belt. I think the piece that the outer pulley bolts to is tweaked. Can anyone confirm it? Thanks in advance. I have other pictures as well.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1198946089.jpg

Rollerman

zieg72 can you give us a better pic..or one showing the whole mule drive?

I was under the assumption that all the C's,300/400/500 series tractors used the same mule drive no matter what the size of the deck?

Your pic is a little vague I guess.

They "mule drives" canbe had pretty reasonable on ebay or repaired too.

If your is bent I'd need a better pic to help.

Sorry

kj4kicks

Hi Zieg, Welcome to the site! I have a 91 520 that had a 60" deck on it the day I bought it, but not since then. It has a FEL now, so there's no room for the mule drive.

Are the bearings smooth on the mule drive? Maybe someone changed one and it's wrong?

I have the one off of mine if you need to compare. The good news is, the same mule drive fits all of the 300, 400, and 500 series machines, so they're not too hard to find. I have a spare if you need it.

Eldon.

zieg72

zieg72 can you give us a better pic..or one showing the whole mule drive?

I was under the assumption that all the C's,300/400/500 series tractors used the same mule drive no matter what the size of the deck?

Your pic is a little vague I guess.

They "mule drives" canbe had pretty reasonable on ebay or repaired too.

If your is bent I'd need a better pic to help.

Sorry

Here is a picture with the pulley on it. The tab in the first picture is what the outer pulley bolts to. The bearings seem fine. Thanks

Attached Image

post-4-1198948488.jpg

kj4kicks

I see the problem. The pulleys are supposed to be parallel. The angled piece goes on first, then the pulleys.

See what happens then. The belt will naturally be aligned.

Eldon.

kj4kicks

A pic of a rough one, but it shows the pulleys:

Attached Image

post-4-1198950394.jpg

zieg72

I see the problem. The pulleys are supposed to be parallel. The angled piece goes on first, then the pulleys.

See what happens then. The belt will naturally be aligned.

Eldon.

Thanks, I kinda figured that but wanted to ask the experts. I will try and straighten up the tab and see if it works out. Any idea what you might be asking for your extra if I brake the tab off?? I guess I could get a new shaft via Toro but I thought I would ask you first. Also do I have the spring in the right place?? I pick up my plow tomorrow for it, can't wait.

kj4kicks

I don't use a mule drive on any of my machines. My deck is on an old 1077, completely different setup.

I don't have a spring, so I'm not sure where it hooks. Mule drives usually go for $20-25 on ebay, depending on the day. The above pic was "borrowed" from a current listing.

Ebay Item number: 160193383571 is another one, complete with belt guard.

Where are you located?

Eldon..... in SE PA

zieg72

I don't use a mule drive on any of my machines. My deck is on an old 1077, completely different setup.

I don't have a spring, so I'm not sure where it hooks. Mule drives usually go for $20-25 on ebay, depending on the day. The above pic was "borrowed" from a current listing.

Ebay Item number: is another one, complete with belt guard.

Where are you located?

Eldon..... in SE PA

I saw that listing on ebay. I have been looking to see if one shows up on the bay like mine. I just assumed that with the offset design of the pulleys it was just for the 60" deck. I am new to the "real tractors" as my other machine is the "lawn tractor" variety. I have the guard and the part # of the shaft should I break the tab off and can't get it welded on right. I am in NW Indiana

kj4kicks

I have 3 on the shelf. One from a C-160, one from a 416-H, and one from a 520-H, and they are all the same.

If you can't find one, I'd sell you one for $25 including shipping.

Email me if you need it.

Eldon.

zieg72

I have 3 on the shelf. One from a C-160, one from a 416-H, and one from a 520-H, and they are all the same.

Email me if you need it.

Eldon.

Thanks, I will let you know. I appreciate your time today, now I got to go outside and work on my other hobby, Chevy Trucks.... Happy New Year, and great site....

zieg72

Email me if you need it.

Eldon.

One more question, the one from your 520H look like mine or like the rough one in the picture off the e-bay auction, (pulleys on the same shaft)??

nylyon

I could be wrong, and I don't have a 520 or 60" deck, but I had thought that the mule drive for the 60" looked like Carl posted and was different from the others? But again, I don't have one.

kj4kicks

They are at home, and I'm at my store, so I can't get a pic. The pulleys are on the same shaft, and are definetely parallel.

Eldon.

Nick

Not sure if they used it from the start with the 60" decks, or on any other decks, but the mule drive on the later 60" deck is spring loaded. Been to long since I used my brothers so cant say if there are other differences.

kj4kicks

My 520 had 1800 hours on it when I bought it, so the mule drive may have been changed somewhere along the way. I'll get pics of them tonight.

Eldon.

zieg72

I could be wrong, and I don't have a 520 or 60" deck, but I had thought that the mule drive for the 60" looked like Carl posted and was different from the others? But again, I don't have one.

I guess I could look it up and compare part #'s if I knew what the 91 model # was. I am fairly certain mine is original to the tractor only having 424 hours on the clock.

Nick

This is the number I got on the Toro MPV for a 91 deck. C5-60SC03

Jim_M

I have a 1990 or 91 520-H with a 60" deck and the mule drive is the same as the one on my 416-H, or C series. I have never seen one like this.

zieg72

I have a 1990 or 91 520-H with a 60" deck and the mule drive is the same as the one on my 416-H, or C series. I have never seen one like this.

Here is the parts breakdown on the 1991 that the model # was given

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-4-1198967778.jpg

nylyon

I think you have the right mule drive, but what about the belt it, is it a Toro branded belt or aftermarket?

kj4kicks

No way the belts should be hitting the pulleys at that angle. It may be the mule drive that is specified, but something is very wrong here.

If you spilt the difference in the pulleys, they would both line up. One with less angle, and one with more angle.

I'm voting that you put a drive on there that has 2 parallel pulleys, and the problem will be solved. Karl is also right, make sure to use a WH belt (but that is not the problem here).

I'm heading home, and will get some pics, but I can't upload them until tomorrow.

I'll chime in again later.

Eldon.

Jim_M

I didn't look up the drawing for the part number, guess I should have. Mine came with the style of mule drive that we're all used to seeing. I had no idea there was another style of mule drive until today.

Nick

Showed my brother the picture, think he said the main mounting bolt needs to be removed and turned 180 degrees. If that doesnt make sense I'll ask him again how to fix it. He says they have even seen them ship from the factory that way.

zieg72

I think you have the right mule drive, but what about the belt it, is it a Toro branded belt or aftermarket?

The belt came straight from the Toro dealership. Made 2 passes, about 5 minutes of mowing and noticed the stringy fiber coming off the side of the belt as shown in the picture. The drawing posted on the Toro MPV shows an angle, but it is hard to say if mine is extreme or not. Thanks for everyone chiming in. Glad there is snow on the ground and a good 4 months to figure this out.