tomtractor

Starter click, click, Start

tomtractor

So as the title suggests my starter motor on my 312 makes a click sound when i try to start it.  Click again (sometimes) and then it engages and starts the motor.  Sometimes it just starts.  Some times Click, Click, Click start.  I was told it has been doing that for years.  How much longer will it do that before it fails.  Or maybe it is working ok?  If it fails where is the best place to purchase a new starter motor for the 312?

daveoman1966

1...disconnect and clean EVERY wire connection you can find...battery cables too

2...pull starter and flush bendix LIBERALLY with silicone spray.  Blow DRY with hi-pressure blow gun...leave dry.

There are 2 simple tries.... if problem persists, rebuild or replace starter. 

km3h

This problem can be caused by several things. The clicking you hear is the solenoid contacts bouncing up and down while trying to supply amperage to the starter.

Check the ground to engine wire. Make sure the battery connections are clean. An easy way to see if enough amperage (you may have 12 volts, but are not getting enough amperage to hold the contact in place) is being supplied to the solenoid is to use a 12 volt test light. First test the light by simply placing it across the battery terminals and note the brightness of the light. Then remove the wire from the center post of the solenoid and run the light from that wire to the center post. Now turn the key to start. If you have a bright light all the wiring to that point is most likely in good condition and you probably have a bad solenoid.

The next thing I would do is run a test wire from the positive side of the battery to the center post of the solenoid. If this actuates the starter without bouncing, you most likely have a dirty connection somewhere or even a faulty switch.

In the above information I am assuming you have a three post solenoid. If so, it gets ground by contact where it is mounted. Checking this simply requires that you remove the bolts and clean the areas they mount to.

boovuc

I hate to keep adding advice on top of very good advice you have already received. It goes back to when I "tried" golfing for enjoyment and all it ever succeeded in doing to me was creating a serial killer with all the "tips" I kept getting!

When you were told "check and clean all the electrical connections", the very first one to check is the fuse holder on your highest amperage fuse. Pull the fuse, look for pitting and or corrosion on the fuse contacts. Even melting on some. Check this first before you do the others. This is common on the Onan Twins but if your fuse holder isn't dangling but is "clipped" to say the battery box or other lip, it will collect a lot of debris that holds moisture and will corrode the contacts and create heat. This in turn won't allow enough amperage to pass. Thus you hear......click, click, click.

• Like 1

tomtractor

Thanks!  I will take a look this weekend.