RMCIII

XI - Heated Up

Challenger

Every 200 hours we do a comprehensive maintenance cycle on our XI mowers.

As part of this, the Kohler powered machines always have their engines removed for a complete cleaning.

doc724

Hello Challenger,

Good to hear from you.  I was wondering when you were going to jump in to this discussion.  So, every 200 hours?  What have you found and have you any pix to enlighten us.  Also, how long does it take you to pull the engine and how much of the tractor do you have to dismantle to do it?  I can tell you, the engine removal procedure does not appear in the xi service manual

Challenger

Its been about 3 years since we've done this level of service to one of our machines but we have one scheduled for this work in late October.

Somewhere I have some 35mm photos of the first one we did many years ago.  If I can locate them, I'll try to post them.

Last I recall, the bill for a comprehensive service including pulling and cleaning the engine was over $600.    This also included all fluids, filters, tune-up and blades, deck cleaning and leveling I think.

This very first "super service" was prompted by higher than usual temp gauge readings.  The concealed parts of the engine were chucked full of debris.  The service tech. had never seen anything like it before and he asked that I come see it before the clean-up started.  In that I had just bought this used  machine, I photographed everything while it was apart and sent a friendly note and  photos   to  the seller.  This resulted in a voluntary $200 "rebate" from  the previous owner.  It helped salve my initial disappointment.

Edited by Challenger
  • Like 2

RMCIII

Challenger - If you can, us "XI" owners would love to see a vide and pics of the next service you have scheduled. I believe you mentioned October?

Rob

RMCIII

This is really bugging me. Challenger, I've attached 3 photos that show the brass covering for the left head. It appears to me, once this panel is removed, it will provide enough access to clean the head and any debris that has built up in the back of it. But before I jump in, I thought I would ask, have you just removed this panel before to do a "partial" cleaning? If so, anything I need to look out for?

It appears to me that the panel is being held on by 4 bolts total. The issue I see is the linkage for the carb, and removing the muffler shield to gain access to the front bolt. Am I missing anything?

Rob

post-10322-0-42976900-1410707815.jpg

post-10322-0-42116600-1410707823.jpg

post-10322-0-26943600-1410707831.jpg

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Wonder if you could poke around and clean it out with a vacuum set up of sorts????

I haven't torn into it yet. Besides doing a hundred other things I want to get the 854 done. Start on it and another job pops up.

Glenn

RMCIII

Glenn, my thoughts EXACTLY!..... If the engine can stay in place, and the head can be cleaned, then why pull and reinstall, the engine? Just me but there has to be a much simplier way!!!!

Rob

• Like 1

Forest Road

Mine has 1100 hours. Doubt it's ever been apart.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I tried to take my 520xi apart last year from the top. It went well until the metal baffle on that side which is bolted to the engine under the plastic shroud. I used a vacuum, in fact I used a small plastic extension for cleaning keyboards - that slipped off and is still in there . It is as clean as I could get it and verified using my snake camera except for that one area which is unreachable as is. My engine still runs hot. I think that the head bolts are under the shroud as well. Bottom line is the engine needs to come out, or the firewall needs to move back.

I only say using an engine hoist, etc., because I don't have help. Two guys can lift the engine.

• Like 1

RMCIII

John:

may be a dumb question, but did your xi have the same configuration as mine? I have just about had it with this xi! I know, sell it to me! I ask because I have seen some different engine models for the xi.

Rob

Challenger

Rob,

I wish I could be of more help.  The fact is, I have only basic mechanical abilities.  This, coupled with a job that takes an extraordinary amount of time,  dictates that I have our machines serviced by our two, local Wheel Horse dealers.

I check the oil levels, grease them, wash them and watch the gauges.  Then I write the checks to pay for all other services done at the dealer.

- Challenger.

RMCIII

Thanks Challenger.

Rob

shallowwatersailor

Rob,

Take a look at this video. I think that this is what we can expect. It is the nature of the beast. The side that he is talking about is not the side I am referring to. It is a different problem. The Legacy has a different muffler as well.

John

• Like 2

doc724

This engine is quite a bit different than in the xi machines.  One thing I did notice from the video is that the covers (yellow chromate finish) that shield the fins on the head between the "V' appear to be bolted on from the exhaust side of the engine.  I was never able to see this on mine.  I will have to take a field trip out to the shed (again) to give a look.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Don,

It's the same engine family. The Legacy is rated at 27hp so that could account for some difference. The 5xi Kohler has a muffler shield where the Legacy does not. This is a photo of the Legacy. There is NO clearance from the firewall. The engine needs to be pulled for sure.

post-3066-0-70372500-1410840551_thumb.jp

The Simplicity Legacy is what the 5xi should have been: 3-Point Hitch, 4WD option, additional hydraulics, larger tires, etc. Of course, it would have cost even more brand new.

John

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Question. Where should the temp Guage be normally? I just did the lawn. It was registering a bit over two thirds. Still below hot. Now the 854 is done I will dig into this.

Glenn

RMCIII

I would guess that if it is the green, it is ok, however when your temp. gauge always at 1/2 or below, and then you notice it is consistantly above 1/2 now I would think that would be a sign that something is not letting the same amount of air to flow over the heads. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks Rob. Never paid particular attention to that detail. Will be curious. Let you know what I find. What I do. And how deep I jump into it. Thanks.

Glenn

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I just happen to look up the service manual for the Kohler Command. On page 3 under the 100 Hour Maintenance (or annually,) it calls for the Engine Shrouds to be removed and clean the cooling areas.

• Like 1

RMCIII

John - I have not idea why I did not look at my manual.... I have the Kohler manual also.... Does it have any diagrams of the process? < Funny question, after I just got saying I could also look..... LAZY!

Rob