Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Rectifier interchangability

BairleaFarm

Will pretty much any 3 pin rectifier work witht he kohlers? are they interchangeable?

WheelHorse_of_course

David

The answer is more or less. The biggest factor is the ampere output of the (darn can't find the right word) the charging coil on the engine.

for 10-15 amps use the one with three terminals in a row. For 20 amps use the one with 2 terminal on top and 1 on the bottom.

The other thing to consider is the location of the terminals and distance of the holes. I recently picked up a new one and the terminals come out even with the back of the rectifier - it must have been intended to have a slot cut out for the terminals to protrude th through the mounting surface. I just mounted it reversed front to back!

Cheers

:USA: :banghead:

poodle

Dear simpleman and TT

I meant no harm buy my original comment and had no intention of of hijacking this post.I only thought it might be the right area to post a question about a similar problem.

I apologize if I did upset anyone.

TT

"Poodle", you need to do three things.....

#1 - Start a new post in the proper section with a title highlighting your question or problem. Hi-jacking a similar post made by someone else is not proper forum etiquette.

#2 - Identify your tractor model in your post so readers don't need to play seek-and-find to know or remember what you have. Some of us have a hard enough time remembering our own tractors.

#3 - please invest some time in using punctuation. Reading a post like you just typed can actually cause people to not want to finish reading it, and they surely won't provide an answer if that is the case.

:thumbs:

Rideawaysenior

Not all rectifiers will work on all Kohler engines. Some of the Kohler spec engines had diodes placed on the stator which would convert the ac current to dc current. This would eleviate the need for a rectifier. I havea 414-8 that ws set up that way. The engine happens to be a pre magnum series engine. I'm pretty sure other models were built with the same design. There are other members here though that are well versed on the electrical systems.