ckarnes

C161 style

ckarnes

Hi was wondering if anyone knows anything about this c-161? I Always thought the 161 was the same body as the 160 just with the rubber motor mounts . This looks like a cross between a 160 and 165 but it looks all factory. Can anyone help.

post-2624-0-83430800-1409606942.jpg

rmaynard

What is the ID number?

Edited by rmaynard

ckarnes

I'm not sure I found it on the internet from what I've been reading its a c161 twin

Molon_Labe

Interesting, my 1979 C-161 Automatic looks like this......

post-13276-0-26056500-1409608184_thumb.j

oldredrider

That IS a C-161. That particular model came with the twin Briggs engine.

The "other" C-161 came with a Kohler engine.

Pretty sure the Briggs model had the 4 pinion transmission.

Edited by oldredrider

Sparky

That was the beginnings of the black-hood series. It was the only black-hood with a fiberglass hood and it still used the older style 1978-79 dash.

Mike......

• Like 1

ericj

i had a 78 C161 Twin Auto and a 79 C161 8 Speed. talked to Ed Cole the retired toro rep at the wheel horse collectors club show. he told me that when the kohler kt 17 failed the durability and reliability testing, they decided to try the briggs 16 hp twin and surprise surprise, it passed, so they quickly rushed the the tractor into production, thus the fibergass hood. the C161 twin was the first C series to run a twin cylinder motor. they also ran a sunstrand hydro trans instead of the eaton trans.

eric j 

tbarnhart

Definitely a 78 or 79 C161 TWIN 8-speed. Originally a briggs 16 twin with a fiberglass hood and a plastic fender. It was the first of the blackhood models that wheelhorse used to sort of test the new styling idea. The basic styling caried over to the xx5 series but they had a different dash and the hoods were steel. It looks like that tractor has had an engine swap and the rear fender has been replaced with a later steel one. The plastic ones were known to break.