Ed Kennell

Snow blower coatings

Ed Kennell

I need to paint the chutes on several blowers.   What is the current opinions on the best coating  for a low  friction  surface ?

Has anyone used a bed liner coating?   I will be brushing.

cheesegrader

Mine is valspar tractor implement rattle can spraypaint with spray teflon coating applied at the start of every season.

I'm not happy with it.  It sheds snow OK, but little gravel stones have chipped and pitted the paint badly.

I'm thinking about POR 15 the next time it is redone.

Martin

powder coat them and lots of wax on the paint.

if you can't get them powder coated, still use wax on the paint you do put on there....

boovuc

Wax on.....Wax off!   Wax on........Wax off!

I even used ski wax which held up much better than automotive wax. And the ski wax I used rubbed on. (Just like my old downhill ski's before my body told me that it would shut down if I kept doing that crap)!

• Like 1

Geno

I plan on soaking mine with spray silicone before every use.  I do this with other things and am intersted to see how it works.  Has anyone else tried it? 

Trouty56

I was reading this thread for tips and thought about a product I use on my firearms called Fluid Film....can spray it on bare metal and it will prevent rust for a long time.  Has lubricating properties also.....I got an old fruit grinder I sprayed it on (claims to be food grade) and when I crushed grapes for wine this year the juice beaded up on the metal and wood parts.  Might hold up well in a snowblower/snowblade application.....

shallowwatersailor

Has anyone tried a good application of EZ Slide graphite paint?

Navig8r

I've heard of many uses for Fluid-Film... many swear by it for all sorts of stuff... Probably worth a try!

I want to mount a thin sheet of HDPE or PTFE inside the chute of my WB blower.... no rust, sacrificial when stones hit it, and relatively slick!

Ed Kennell

I found this Paint that I used to coat the underside of a deck about 5 years ago and it held up real well, so I thought I'd use it on the chutes. It gets super hard and really gloss y.

post-7208-0-84556500-1409691106_thumb.jppost-7208-0-61532600-1409691123_thumb.jppost-7208-0-99414800-1409691151_thumb.jppost-7208-0-41185300-1409691172_thumb.jppost-7208-0-27945100-1409691196_thumb.jppost-7208-0-35251300-1409691222_thumb.jp

I'll still give them a good coat of wax.

Geno

You just gave me an idea Ed.  When I saw the grey I thought of the epoxy on my shop floor, it's indestructible.  Also, don't even think of walking on a wet spot or you'll find yourself on the floor.  :eusa-doh:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Concrete floor coating is one of the uses listed for the paint I used and there is a caution to add sand if it is used for this purpose.

Geno

Mine said the same, but you can't mop or use a floor scrubber on a floor that has sand in it.  The urethane is great but not like the epoxy.  It is actual 2 part epoxy that you mix, the color and the activator.   :)

holler1

AMC rules mentioned POR15. I painted the lower part of my 36" RD deck with POR15 to stop the rust, but it seems to be very effective at shedding grass. I'll attach a picture if i can. I've been mowing with it all summer. I took it off and replaced it with a newer deck. When i turned it over, there was no grass stuck underneath- none.

Edited by holler1

Fun Engineer

I wonder if the product made by rust oleum called Never Wet would work on the chute?

Geno, try a mop head like this one. It works great on my epoxy floor with non-slip in it.

ebu2yjy2.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

The Never Wet stuff is amazing stuff...

but doesn't last very long, ain't cheap either. 

Geno

I wonder if the product made by rust oleum called Never Wet would work on the chute?

Geno, try a mop head like this one. It works great on my epoxy floor with non-slip in it.

ebu2yjy2.jpg

I have a mop bucket for spot cleanup like yours, but my floor is smooth, it works great.  I put 2 coats of epoxy on it in 97 when I built the shop, the 2nd coat makes it really shine!  The only thing was after doing 2 coats back to back on 3500 square feet it made me really high.  :laughing-rolling:

Usually we get out the big self propelled Clarke floor scrubber 3-4 times a year to make it like new again.  Matter of fact it was due a few months ago but I've been too bust chasing Horses!  :banana-dance:  I'll try to get a pic of that monster on here the next time we get it out which should be soon.

Edited by Geno

dbartlett1958

Has anyone tried a good application of EZ Slide graphite paint?

John,

Yes I have. I did my Toro walk-behind blower with the EZ Slide. I did one half of the auger with it, and half without. Guess what. The half with the EZ Slide plugs up way easier than the stock paint.

Stick with wax or POR.

can whlvr

living in a snow belt I use my thrower a lot,i spray it with an industrial silicone spray and it works great