Sign in to follow this  
skrusins

416H Onan won't start?

skrusins

Hi, I'm sort of vague on this setup. A freind of mine got a hand me down for a uncle who past away.

The WH will crank but no spark. The test button on dash will not light the idiot panel, I feel some of

switches have been bypast. Can that panel prevent the motor from spark? I check the fuses they 

all have 12V. Can I jump start it by putting a jumper wire between + coil and start on ing switch? 

Looking for more ideas to look at he does live 20 mi away.

WH nut

The coil should have 12v to the positive side with the key on. If not you can apply 12v to see if she will fire.

skrusins

Thanks for the help. I'll drive out there and give that a try. I really appreciate your help.

skrusins

WH nut, I tried as you suggested with the key on there is 12v going to the coil. I hoping there is something else

I could try.I've been searching in RS without any luck.I read that a jumper wire from bat to + side of coil eliminates

safety switches that didn't work. I wish I knew how to bypass that board to see if that fire it up. I test the board with

my 414h Kohler an that worked.

km3h

Check the blue wire at the solenoid for 12 volts when you turn the key to start. I like to use a test light so I can see how bright the light is. This gives me an idea as to how much amperage I have there. If there is no voltage or the light is dim, you probably have a corroded 30 amp fuse in the fuse block or in the case of no voltage, it has blown. If you have this fuse block it is below the battery box and has three fuses in it. It is notorious for becoming dirty and causing problems.  

Edited by km3h
  • Like 2

WH nut

If you applied 12v to the + side of the coil you have eliminated everything but the ignition on the motor. If still no spark you have either a bad coil or module

• Like 1

Martin

The board with the warning lights is just an info part, it does nothing to hinder the rest of the electrical...

you can disconnect it altogether if you want, it has no bearing on whether the rest of the electrical on the tractor works.

If you have no spark with 12 volts to the coil, it's most probably the coil or module. If you don't have access to a manual, I could post up here the sections for testing those two parts, but it might be a few hours before I can do it.

Edited by Martin

skrusins

Wow ! Martin that would be great. I'll be happy to wait for your reply.

Thank You WH nut you and Martin are on the same page.

Thank You km3h I'll give that a try also.

Special thanks to all of you. REDSQUARE members are a special group of people.

I'm happy to be a member also.

• Like 1

Martin

heres the sections from the Toro Power Plus manual 492-4006.

post-4321-0-93597500-1409699050_thumb.pn

post-4321-0-23253900-1409699284_thumb.pn

the demystification manual has some good info as well......

post-4321-0-74780000-1409701032_thumb.pn

post-4321-0-85898500-1409701034_thumb.pn

post-4321-0-97322800-1409701036_thumb.pn