squonk

Filled a pair of Silvertowns with RV antifreeze today.

squonk

I'm a firm believer of filled tires for winter duty. The extra traction and momentum filled tires provide are the cats bee-hind. I had a pair of old but very healthly Silvertowns laying around and decided they should go on Ezra for snow blower duty this winter. I got the RV freeze on sale at TSC for $3.00 a gal and needed 11 gallons for the 23 x 8.50 x 12's. Borrowed a pump from work and started fillin. Tires and wheels weighed 27 lbs. each empty and now weigh 71 lbs. each. Took about 10 min a tire. I'll be adding 50 lb. WH weights and reinforced chains to these also.

post-2380-0-84264000-1409505618_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-93684200-1409507230_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-95885000-1409507462_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-12263600-1409508302_thumb.jp

Edited by squonk
  • Like 7

Geno

Wow, do you plan on climbing trees or something?    :handgestures-thumbsup:

AMC RULES

Remember? :scratchead: 

If you do...tie off that ladder.  :) 

• Like 2

Trouty56

You got tubes in the tires Mike???  Pretty cheap weight....

Pullstart

just loaded my tires this weekend too, just because I wanted to... and to hold that front end down working the garden.  8 ish pounds per gallon adds up fast!

DAVE L

I put Rim Guard in my tires. Payed $3.00 per gallon. 11 lbs per gallon. It is beet juice, molasses, and

sugar, Good to -35. I used tubes, which I sucked the air out first and filled pretty much to the top. I got

about 6.5 gallons in each tire.  They are heavy....and did much grunting to get them mounted. I would

like to get inside and outside weights also, if I can find some.

• Like 4

Lane Ranger

My tire guy says never use Green Slime it will create problems with the wheel.   I had a pair of  front wheels on a tractor I bought four years ago  go flat as the tubeless tire  lost it's seal on the bead of the rim of the wheel due to slime corrosion.    The Rim Guard Dave L. mentions is a good alternative -It won't cause corrosion problems .   But I think I am  just going to continue to use external weights on my tractors.

squonk

No tubes.The tires have sat on a rack for 2 years and didn't lose any air so I figure the beads and stem were good. If I develop a seepage ,I'll pump it out and put in a tube. The RV freeze has corrosion inhibitors to protect the rims.I have had it in 2 other tractors for 2 years now with no issues I don't fill them completely either.The rolling motion of the fluid in the wheel gives an extra push when you start to bog down. I like the RV stuff. Non toxic, pumps easy and if I ever need to get rid of it I'll just give it to my neighbor for his camper. :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

Wheel-N-It

That was a good way to spend the afternoon Mike!

varosd

That was a good way to spend the afternoon Mike!

almost as good as "Watching paint dry"!

Which I'm doing right now!! :sad:

• Like 2

squonk

Wait to you see what I'm doing today!!  :) Pics coming!  :banana-wrench:

Edited by squonk

KC9KAS

My tire guy says never use Green Slime it will create problems with the wheel.   I had a pair of  front wheels on a tractor I bought four years ago  go flat as the tubeless tire  lost it's seal on the bead of the rim of the wheel due to slime corrosion.    The Rim Guard Dave L. mentions is a good alternative -It won't cause corrosion problems .   But I think I am  just going to continue to use external weights on my tractors.

I thought too that the Rim Guard was NON-corrosive, but lately a lot of newer vehicles are falling apart due to rust and the folks at the garage are blaming the Beet-Juice (Rim-Guard) that was used last winter on the roads.

Not 30 minutes ago, I had a conversation with our local dentist that is on the Town Council and he said the Rim-Guard is very corrosive.

I plan on looking up the MSDS for the Rim Guard and seeing for myself what it's chemical make-up is!

Of course the MSDS is vague. It has a pH of 9.5 to 10.5 and that is a lttle higher that neutral (pH 7)....., but I did see this:

http://www.rimguard.biz/

Edited by KC9KAS

Kennedy

Of course the MSDS is vague. It has a pH of 9.5 to 10.5 and that is a lttle higher that neutral (pH 7)....., but I did see this:

On the ph scale the lower the number the higher the acid. Milk of Magnesia has is a ph10 just for reference.

Mark

KC9KAS

On the ph scale the lower the number the higher the acid. Milk of Magnesia has is a ph10 just for reference.

Mark

FYI,  Coke Cola has a pH of <1.

Geno

I thought too that the Rim Guard was NON-corrosive, but lately a lot of newer vehicles are falling apart due to rust and the folks at the garage are blaming the Beet-Juice (Rim-Guard) that was used last winter on the roads.

Not 30 minutes ago, I had a conversation with our local dentist that is on the Town Council and he said the Rim-Guard is very corrosive.

I plan on looking up the MSDS for the Rim Guard and seeing for myself what it's chemical make-up is!

That stuf is like the plague, it's eating everything in sight!  They started using that stuff here about 5 years ago and it is wreaking havoc.  5 year old cars look like they are 20 underneath.  This stuff will discolor and put a rust look on polished T403 stainless after one exposure.   :eusa-doh:

I put a lot of Magnaflow polished stainless cat back systems on.  About 5 years ago I thought they had a stainless problem and had to warranty several of them during Winter.  Magnaflow found that it was this stuff they're putting on the roads and they stopped the warranty on the looks part of it.  Truckers will also tell you it is even affecting the stainless on their rigs.  

Edited by Geno

AMC RULES

Wait to you see what I'm doing today!!  :) Pics coming!  :banana-wrench:

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

More on Rim Guard as a tire ballast.

Earth-conscious farmers are disgusted with the damaging effects of calcium chloride tire ballast.  They are dismayed with corrosion to tire rims, costly repairs for minor tire punctures, and the toxic effects on ground and animals in case of a spill.  Now there is an environmentally friendly alternative.

RIM GUARDâ„¢ is a new liquid tire ballast developed specifically as an environmentally friendly alternative to calcium chloride and other liquid ballast solutions.  Rim Guardâ„¢ is non-corrosive, non-flammable, non-toxic, biodegradable, does not freeze down to -35F and weighs 10.7# to 11# per gallon.

Compact and utility tractors have grown in popularity in the past several years.   These tractors often have more horsepower than their weight can effectively use.  Adding ballast significantly improves stability, pulling power and efficiency by reducing wheel hop and slippage.  Typically the answer has been to add a calcium chloride solution to the tires, iron weights on the tractor’s nose, or wheel weights.

Calcium chloride is extremely corrosive, toxic and requires a tube.  Iron weights are expensive ($1-$2/lb.) and are often located where they don’t do the most good.  Rim Guardâ„¢ costs about $.28/lb. retail.  If the tractor has a front-end loader, weight is needed in the rear to counter the weight of the loader and to maximize traction.  Rim Guardâ„¢ is loaded in the rear tires where it is most needed.  It also can be loaded in the front tires of 4WD tractors to further enhance traction and in 2WD models to reduce nose lift when pulling heavy loads.  Rim Guardâ„¢ will lower the center of gravity, thereby increasing vehicle stability on hilly or sloping terrain and greatly enhance operational safety.  Besides farm and compact tractors, Rim Guard is used in backhoes, skid steers, and pay loaders.

Rim Guardâ„¢ is made from an agricultural byproduct of sugar beet processing.  It is water soluble.  If spilled on the ground, Rim Guardâ„¢ will likely make plants grow better once diluted with water.  It is animal food grade safe.

Because Rim Guardâ„¢ is totally non-corrosive tubes are not needed, saving both the cost of the tube and the labor to install it.  With Rim Guardâ„¢, you’ll never have to replace a rim due to corrosion and never have to struggle with a tire that is fused by rust to the rim along the bead.  Minor punctures can be plugged just like car tires.

When equipment needs ballast, the best choice—the environment’s choice—is Rim Guardâ„¢.

Material Data Safety Sheet  link:

http://www.rimguard.biz/Documentation_files/627x636xMaterialSafetyDataSheet_2.gif.pagespeed.ic.2fwr6prVFw.png

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

squonk

:popcorn:

it was the lift cable