damon91

steering slop

damon91

My commando 8 has alot of slop in the steering. I pulled things apart, and found that pretty musch everything is worn out. the lower shaft with the fan gear can be fixed with a new bushing and shimms, but the problem Im not sure what to do with is the top hole in the steering gear support is worn out and oval shaped. It is worn so bad that the steering wheel shaft moves side to side in the hole in the support. I searched threads on here before I posted this one, and I found this.

OFFLINE Anglo Traction

Anglo Traction

Senior Advanced Member

• photo-3520.jpg?_r=1384262420
  • Supporter
  • rssupporter.jpg
  • 1,329 posts
  • Joined 05-September 10
  • 41 thanks
    • Member No: 3520
  • LocationHorley,Surrey,England(UK).

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

In addition to Kelly's mention of the Bushing in the Lower Support Bracket, check the Angled 3/4" bore that the Toothed end of Steering Shaft fits into.
This bore eggs out due to the pressure of the meshing teeth when turning and it wears out before the Steel Shaft does (I have 2 to repair). It needs boring out and a bushing pressed in.
The bush needs to be Cast Iron really. This is the only remaining worn part on my Steering gear and will elliminate the small amount of remaining slack.

Then in the same thread this was posted:

OFFLINE kpinnc
kpinnc

RedSquare Pro

• photo-40.jpg?_r=0
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 2,537 posts
  • Joined 11-September 07
  • 5 thanks
    • Member No: 40
  • LocationAlbemarle, NC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

This bore eggs out due to the pressure of the meshing teeth when turning and it wears out before the Steel Shaft does

Every one I have ever seen- even newer ones, have a slight egg shape here. I thought it was there to provide a small area to hold some grease?

I'm always surprised how much steering slop comes from the axle pivot getting sloppy. New tie rods and a 3/4 bushing in the axle pivot will tighten things up quite a bit.

The support is still available but is about $80.  Has anyone else ran into this porblem and tried to bush this hole. If so could you give me directions on where to start and find bushings, and bits.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Damon

•  

tbarnhart

I have the good fortune of working at a ag repair shop and we have a reamer for 7/8. I was able to ream that hole out and press in a bronze 3/4x7/8 bushing that really snugged the fit on mine. I think I got the bushing from TSC in their Hillmann hardware assortment.

• Like 1