AMC RULES

What's holding those stuck hubs?

squonk

If your making a homemade puller use a fine thread bolt instead of a coarse one. It will provide a lot more pulling power and with more threads per inch the threads won't pull apart. If you look at a gear puller ,all of the threads are fine.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

Geno

Anti seize it for sure. I went back and looked on the bench and I use Permatex 80078 (bottle with brush) Permatex 81464 (aerosol).  Available at your local parts stores.   :)

Molon_Labe

:text-yeahthat: Tons of force Mark.  :tools-hammerdrill:

I'm thinkin' maybe :eusa-think: a little anti-seize in there...   :confusion-shrug:

wouldn't be a bad idea before putting them back on the axle? 

Along that same line of thinking, I've used pipe dope on the threads of my mower spindles and axle hubs for years and never had a problem getting them apart afterwards.

pfrederi

If your making a homemade puller use a fine thread bolt instead of a coarse one. It will provide a lot more pulling power and with more threads per inch the threads won't pull apart. If you look at a gear puller ,all of the threads are fine.

Fine threads are better.  However Acme threads are even better yet  (you can get acme threaded rod and nuts from McMaster)

• Like 1

squonk

Fine threads are better.  However Acme threads are even better yet  (you can get acme threaded rod and nuts from McMaster)

As long as the're not the kind Wile E Coyote uses!  :)

• Like 2

meadowfield

I always make sure they slide on first, so clean all burrs off then 1000 grit paper to polish and then copper grease.

Got four to bolt back on on bendy, will see how long they last

• Like 1

stevasaurus

pfrederi (Paul)...that is one serious puller you made there.  Thumbs up mate!!  :)

• Like 1

Lagersolut

Has anyone ever tried Anti Seize to prevent these hubs from getting this tight, just wondering .

Edited by Lagersolut

Geno

Anti seize it for sure. I went back and looked on the bench and I use Permatex 80078 (bottle with brush) Permatex 81464 (aerosol).  Available at your local parts stores.   :)

I anti seize the world!   :text-woo:

Lane Ranger

Someone told me a good thing is to clean well before installing the woodruff key again is to use graphite .  Mix graphite with a little water and set in the key hole and set the key .      Make sure key is clean and sander or deburred with a dremel !  The set screw in the hub also makes burrs in the key if you look real close.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

squonk

If you use anti seize on the hubs it will make it's way to the steering wheel!  :)  :)  :eusa-whistle:

pfrederi

pfrederi (Paul)...that is one serious puller you made there.  Thumbs up mate!!  :)

It worked...finally.  That is not an optical illusion I bent the 1-1/2" thick wall tubing in the process of removing the hub.  D hubs are the worse.

post-1023-0-53900700-1409425631_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

WOW!   :scared-eek: You weren't kidding Paul. 

Hossenfeffa

Heat, a puller, and 1/2 drive impact. Just did mine today. Heat is the key. No pun intended!

meadowfield

I have used the mig on full power to get some serious heat into the casting. The time taken grinding the weld off is easier than the pain of breaking the hub or puller...

Here's my front axle from bendy, one hub took quite a while to wind off. Here's why

IMG_20140831_095023_zpsyoxaxqun.jpg

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

Think the hub removed that metal as it was pulling over it?    :eusa-think: 

meadowfield

the hub certainly removed some metal from bother sides as it was the galling that was stopping it moving. The axle seals had leaked some much it was never going to rust on!

the keyway is chewed because the PO couldn't be bothered to fix it choosing to drive with both hubs loose and slid inwards :(

AMC RULES

Maybe he didn't know how to fix it.  

meadowfield

Maybe he didn't know how to fix it.  

story of most wheel horse owners life :D