KC9KAS

B-100 Auto won't move properly

KC9KAS

B-100 had a new belt 3 years ago. It was an automotive type belt.

Machine acted like the spring wasn't tight enough. I had to push down on the parking lever to get it to move faster, but the belt went about 3/4 the way around the hydro pulley, so I didn't think it was slipping.

I did see the belt rubbing on itself, so I bought a TORO ($50) belt thinking the automotive belt had stretched.

New belt & old belt are the same length, but new TORO belt is a little wider and a little thicker, so it should actually ride better in the pullies and seem shorter.

The tow valve is closed, the belt guard is on and the metal pieces on the guard are in place and the belt rides on them.

When I move the travel lever the tractor seems like the hydro is pulling the engine down (lower RPM). When I pull the park lever up, the engine revs higher.

The oil is clean, and no water in it.

The filter says "Big A" on it, and I haven't changed it, but that is my next step.

Is the NAPA 1410 filter the one I need to install?

Geno

I would try the filter first.  I use the STP S16 filter on most hydros.  They are made in IN at Champion Labs.  :)

Trouty56

Is the NAPA 1410 filter the one I need to install?

If you are using NAPA.....yes on the 1410.....as Craig said....

Geno...never heard of using that filter on this forum and I have read a lot on hydros....looks like a regular oil filter to me instead of a hydraulic filter.....

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 1

Geno

When I talked to filter manufacturers in the past they have always told me to use the appropriate filter depending on the oil used.  Hydraulic oil should have a hydraulic filter, motor oil should have a motor oil filter, etc.  I was told it had to do with viscosity vs flow, a filter can be too good for an application and limit flow which is not good either.  So, if I have a hydro that uses motor oil I always use a motor oil filter.   :)  

Trouty56

When I talked to filter manufacturers in the past they have always told me to use the appropriate filter depending on the oil used.  Hydraulic oil should have a hydraulic filter, motor oil should have a motor oil filter, etc.  I was told it had to do with viscosity vs flow, a filter can be too good for an application and limit flow which is not good either.  So, if I have a hydro that uses motor oil I always use a motor oil filter.   :)  

I see the idea behind that.....but I will stick to the application....hydraulic application = hydraulic filter......

• Like 1

dcrage

I know very little about this -- Trying to understand more -- Isn't part of the "correct" filter for the hydro discussion about the presence or lack of a "bypass feature" -- Regular oil filters do NOT have this and it is a necessity to not damage the transmission? -- Is that correct?

Trouty56

I know very little about this -- Trying to understand more -- Isn't part of the "correct" filter for the hydro discussion about the presence or lack of a "bypass feature" -- Regular oil filters do NOT have this and it is a necessity to not damage the transmission? -- Is that correct?

The opposite.....you do not want the bypass......as documented by Garry in the following PDF....

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/transmissions/transmission_filter.pdf

Edited by Trouty56

Geno

Bob is right.  The filter I use has no bypass.  Most filters can be had with or without a bypass, just different part numbers.  In higher pressure applications the bypass may open if there is a problem where pressure increases, as well as being clogged.

I wonder if that filter is the same as what I use as far as what's inside. :eusa-think:   The NAPA filter, if actually correct for the Wheel Horse hydro application should be made to filter 10W30 motor oil right? 

dcrage

Thanks Bob for the clarification -- And it makes perfect sense the way Gary explained it (I guess that document must have predated my starting on this forum; I would have remembered that clear of an explanation; Or I just didn't read it when it got posted) 

Trouty56

Since I have had a hydro for sometime when I see a topic related to them I am reading it.....always looking for information to pass along.....search helps too....lol