wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Ark FEL 550 gets very hot. Is this normal?

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Hi I have an ark 7-3050. Which I guess is basically ark 550 on my 1973 Auto 18.

The Ark appears to run fine when the front hydraulic belt driven pump is engaged, however within a few minutes the the oil hoses get really hot to the touch So I'm wondering if this is normal.

I've been moving logs around and the FEL behaves as it should. But the hot seems abnormal. So I've been disengaging the pump unless I am lifting or dumping with FEL.

Thanks for any insight.

Best,

Jack

pfrederi

I have a filter on my FEL it gets hot to the touch I would guess about 140 degrees.  I always disengage the PTO when I am not actively using the FEL...no point in wearing out the pump seals.

MalMac

Yep they get hot, no oil cooler on there so no way to dissipate the heat. Mine has gotten so hot that you can not keep your had on some of the fittings for any length of time. Won't burn you but very uncomfortable. I have operated mine for 3 and 4 hours at a time. Got good and hot. No problems except for some hose's that I should have replaced leaking everywhere. If I am just traveling I disengage the pump.

Dburnsnavy

Wouldn't be hard to install small cooler on return line with small rad fan or fridge condenser fan

wheelhorse-c-161-1979

Thanks for the feedback. At least I know all is 'normal'.

I definitely would like to install a cooler. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to know what has worked..!:)

Best,

Jack

boovuc

It is normal and ARK even addresses it in their manuals. Mine gets very very hot. 

Dburnsnavy

I am sure that ark does recognize this as normal. I have dealt with hydraulic systems for 30 years and heat will reduce the life of seals and pumps. But like someone mentioned you can always disengage the pto. I plan to get a loader for my D200. I will definitely install a cooler when I do. Thanks for the good info.

Doug

Dburnsnavy

One thing I just thought of is that you should compare oil temp to the rating for the oil you are using in the loader system. Certain oils lose their properties after being overheated.

alswagg

I have an Ark Loader, does not seem to get hot at all.????  I have been using all summer no problems at all.  Many times I have the PTO running to operate the back hoe so the front pump is simply circulating.  How much oil do you have in the storage tank??  Again, mine does not seem to get hot at all.  The back hoe oil tank will get warm when I have been using for alone time, but not really hot, just warm.  Al

pfrederi

I was looking though a hydraulic manual for my Case DC3 farm tractor.  it said the hydro system should run 50-75 degrees hotter than the ambient temperature so 130-165 would not be out of order...and 165 feels really hot to the touch.