Sign in to follow this  
combatmp29r

Hi all

combatmp29r

Hi everyone. Most of you know me from the wheel horse groups. I'm the nutcase that collects mostly vertical shafts. :D I've heard nothing but good about this forum and thought I should join in to learn a few things, or share some knowledge. (I have a little of that LOL.) For those that don't know me my latest project is a 1969 Commando V8 now V18 with a 18 hp briggs twin cylinder in it. Its still in the final fabrication stages, but will debut at the Ardentsville show next year.

Joel

nylyon

Welcome, glad you're here. We would love to see some pictures of a Commando V18. Look around, there's a C-520 running around in here as well :D

TT

Joel ! ! ! !

Glad to see you made it!

At least you're not among strangers. :(

I posted an invite over at my Yahoo group and I see a few people must have found it. So far we got Freddie Farmall, You, and I see Mike Williams is trying to get signed in. (I don't know if he followed my link though)

Even Mr. Bill Pearson is among us now! :D

It's startin' to feel more like "home" now ! :P

combatmp29r

Good to see ya Terry!!!!

Wild Bill made it huh? :D

Karl I'll get a couple pics off the V18 on here soon. I tried to upload one as my avatar , but it didn't like it. They're jpegs, but it said it couldn't use that type of file. Probably operator error. :P

Joel

nylyon

Looking forward to seeing it. I just changed the size of the Avatars allowed but the maximum size is 128 bytes but .jpg is allowed. Try to resize it and upload your avatar again.

combatmp29r

OK here goes lets see if this works. <_<

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1198895999.jpg

combatmp29r

Wooo Hooo :D

Here are a couple more. I want to pull this thing a couple times to at leaste say its done it. At the same time I want to be able to use my current attachments, as well as any new ones made just for the V18. I designed the rear hitch to retain the original clevis hitch and draw bar as well as the pulling hitch, and removable wheelie bars. It will eventually have dual chrome stacks, polished stainless dash, nose, and shift plates, and a one of set of decals. For now thought the goofy looking dual cigar mufflers do the job. There are a couple pics of it next to my all original 69 Commando V8 for comparison too.

Joel

post-3-1198896708.jpg

Rollerman

Hey Joel since you are Red Square's new vertical shaft expert :D what can you tell me about a Charger V8 with a Kohler in it.

Anything to watch out for?

combatmp29r

OK so I can only add one image at a time? :D

post-3-1198896929.jpg

nylyon

Yeah, that is a limitation of the board which I can not change. The best thing to do is signup for a free photobucket account and post the img code here. You can then post upto 50 images per post, and it would allow you to post them in other boards without re-uploading them.

combatmp29r

Stephen,

I can tell you that up until about 4 months ago Kohler would have told you they never made that engine. I have 3 of the Chargers 2 1969s and 1 1970. The 69s both have the kohler KV181S - 37108B. I haven't ever had any problem with either of them. I have 2 spare engines in the shop just in case though :D Check under the frame where the hydro control lever connects to the shaft. They are prone to crack there. The friction of the hydro is adjusted by a large nut on the shaft (the shaft is also the lift rod shat), if the nut is tightened too tight then the cam where the handle attaches will crack or break. Other than that they are tough tractors. I would trade any of them. If you decide to get it I have all the manuals for the tractor and engine. Just let me know what you want me to send you.

For the record my vertical shaft herd consists of,

1 - 1967 Reo RE67

1 - 1969 Commando V8 1-4841

1 - 1969 Commando V18 1-custom

2 - 1969 Charger V8 1-7841

1 - 1970 Charger V8 1-7851 (and a second in the works)

2 - 1970 Commando V7 parts tractors 1- 4751

1 - 1979 B-81 FOR SALE!!!!!!!

I also have a 312-8 and a D200 minus motor stored on the family farm.

combatmp29r

Hmmm stephen meant I wouldn't trade any of them. Bad typing night I believe.

combatmp29r

Its ok Karl just didn't realize it at first.

post-3-1198898191.jpg

Rollerman

The price is a little high yet....or I'm a little poor still :D not sure which.

Thanks for the tips...it's semi buried now, but if I decide to buy I'll make sure to look undermeath.

Thanks & welcome to Red Square! :P

combatmp29r

This one shows the size difference the best. The V18 has stock 15x6.00-6 fronts on it, but it has Goodyear 23x8.50-12 Terra tires on the rear. Oh and a hood thats about an inch taller than stock.

The V8 in the foreground has the Kohler vertical shaft in it.

post-3-1198898545.jpg

combatmp29r

No problem Stephen. I know of 2 of them for sale in IN. One in need of restoration that could be had for under $200, and an all original 1970 with the tecumseh that comes with a brand new never used front blade, a tiller, and a 36" side discharge deck. It looks like it just came out of the box. Its a little higher though $500.

TT

And, as Joel demonstrates with his 18 hp twin conversion, there are tons of bigger vertical shaft engines floating around that can be bolted on these tractors for power AND fun!

I built this Commando 7 for my son a few years ago. It was literally DROPPED out of an M Farmall loader bucket into the bed of my pick up by a fellow I used to work with. It was rough, but it was FREE! A few creative weeks later, my son was ripping around on his shiny red Wheel Horse!

4878bc65.jpg

combatmp29r

That there are Terry. Now if you could just find those extra parts from that one :D Sorry, had to say it LOL. I picked one up from my buddy that pulls the A800 stretched with 2 twin cylinders on it. Hes the one I took that spare transawle to a couple months back. I just took the shifter and boot off of his junk one to put on my spare trans. Still a cool tractor by the way.

Rollerman

Joel I'm guessing the one needing restoration you are talking about is the same one I went to look at :D

Something about the tractor struck me & I thought it be a nice one to save.

The owner seemed to think it was the rarest model out there though.

combatmp29r

Stephen, It could be. Is it under a tarp with a few other tractors, and is the air cleaner laying where the battery should be? I was looking at the Charger V8 thread you started. Its kind of funny, the picture Nick posted of Terry's tractors. I have the Charger with the Tiller on it now, and the one with the Snow blower is the $500 one I was talking about. The one I bought off Terry had a 10 hp tecumseh on it. Well and still does for now. I have a front blade, Tiller and both decks side and rear discharge for them. I'm searching for a snow blower as we speak. Oh and I've pulled an 8" plow with my commandos with no problems. I'm interested to pull it with the V18 though :D

Rollerman

Joel that be the one :D

combatmp29r

The sad thing is they tried to sell it on ebay. I looked at it with intensions of bidding, but had to go play GI Joe for a few days and never did. Their opening bid was $75 and there was no reserve. I'm guessing they want more than that now. I know where there is one here in OH, but I don't know what he wants for it. It is forsale though. I could ask if you wanted me to. I'm planning on selling the one that I got from Terry, but with a 8hp briggs on it, and a 36" rear discharge deck. I'm planning on asking $150 but everything is negotiable :D Not an original one with a KV181 though.

T-Mo

Joel,

I'm a little late on welcoming you to the site, but here it is: Welcome. And nice tractors also.

combatmp29r

Thanks It does seem to be a great site.

combatmp29r

Ok I uploaded some pics to photo bucket, now to see If I can import them here. Totally an operator issue I know its possible, just can I do it.

herdoct073.jpg

This is my vertical shaft herd as of OCT minus 2 the 70 Charger 8 is in pieces in the shop and the other 69 Charger V8 is at my Brother-in -laws with the tiller on it during this picture.