Sign in to follow this  
papaglide

522xi tires

papaglide

My 522 has loaded ags on it. I want a softer ride. The manual calls for 23-10.50 turfs. I have a set of 23-9.50 turfs available. Would there be any harm to the tires and or tractor if I put on the narrower tires?

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Mike, I am by a far shot any expert on this thread.  But in my opinion what could it hurt? I will follow this to see how others chime in.

Glenn

• Like 1

Brrly1

I don't believe it will bother a thing. There's an inch difference between the tires (1/2 inch per side)  like I said don't for see any problems at all

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Mike,

The 523Dxi that I recently bought has 23X8.50-12 Ags on it . The PO must have had another brand tractor before or picked them up used as the offset is not WH. They are just to the outside of the fender. It hasn't made any difference - and yes, turfs do provide a softer ride. Why don't you swap around a set of tires from one of you other tractors to try it out.

When I need new rears, I intend to try the Kenda Terra Trac (a bit cheaper) or Carlisle All Trail. I believe that Simplicity puts the Kenda Terra Trac on their 4WD Pestige if you want to see them on a tractor. For what it is worth, I like the Kenda turfs better on my 520xi than the Titan turfs that are on the other two.

John

• Like 1

papaglide

Thanks for all the input guys. I was just thinking that maybe there would be a problem with the weight of the tractor on the narrower tire. Hopefully I will get this swap done later this afternoon.

RMCIII

Mike - just trying to understad the true question. Your ags are loaded and that itself makes for a "stiffer" tire. Regualr ag's with a little less air provide, IMHO, the same softness as any turf tire. The difference is grip, or should I say, "lack of grip" to spread out the "cutting" effect when turing. So to better understand what you are asking, is it just because they are "cutting" into your lawn? INHO I would never use a "loaded" ag tire for lawn purpose.

Rob

papaglide

Rob, they just gave a real, real hard ride: like I could feel every bar on the tire. They were fine in the lawn. Funny thing. Well kind of funny. When I bought the tractor I was told that the tires were loaded. Turns out that they were told that the tires were loaded. Well upon taking them off I can guarantee that the tires aren't loaded!

I haven't checked but I am thinking that they were over inflated.

I put the 9.50 turfs on yesterday and it rides much smoother. When I took off the left side tire I did notice something a little funky. The hub wiggled very slightly on the axle. The right side had no wiggle and the left wiggled about a 1/32" or so. The screws that hold the hub on were tight. Any ideas on the what is causing the wiggle? Is it a bad sign?

RMCIII

My knee jerk reaction would be to say that the actual woodruff key may not be the right size? Just a guess. You say the screws on the back of the hub are tight. That leads me to belive the key is either worn or not the size it should be. :eusa-think:

shallowwatersailor

Mike,

I agree with Rob. Pull the hub off and check the key. Also, make sure that you can run the bolt further in than normal while you have the hub off.

John

• Like 2