boovuc

Winsun Diesel

boovuc

Has anyone on Redsquare dropped the 22HP Winsun 840 Twin Diesel in a tractor?

Just curious as I am debating a repower of my 520-H Loader to a diesel. The Onan on it is good and strong but I wondered about this Winsun motor and if anyone has put one on a 300, 400 or 500 Series. One of the two Winsuns has an 1 and an eighth diameter shaft that is 4 inches long and is keyed at 0.25". Seems to me like it would be a good candidate for a Wheelhorse repower. 

boovuc

Well except for folks out of town for County Fairs............I guess that answered my question. I'm not a fan of China-Made Small Engines but it would be the only price range diesel in my budget that has the power I want with the exception of the 13 HP model by the same manufacturer. The 13 is a single. The 22 is a twin.

Aldon

I myself am somewhat a rookie when it comes to these tractors so as such, I am wanting to get others feedback as well.

Seems like the engines are all coming out of China these days. I bought a top of the line Cub Cadet 3 stage snow blower last year and all cub cadet engines come out of China....The CAdet brand.....Kawasaki and Kohler brands will be used less and less in their line ups going forward supposedly.

And from all the feedback on the Honda clones that come out of china, they are pretty good.

So I would probably go that route if I wanted a diesel.

Just not sure what a diesel gains one on a Hydro smaller garden tractor? Do the gas powered engines ever stall out under everyday use?

As I said, I look forward to learning from responses as well...

tbarnhart

I believe Kelly had a twin diesel mounted on a 195 chassis. I remember reading the thread, but don't know if he ever finished it.  Might give him a buzz.

can whlvr

im personally not a fan of the china motors,some guys get lucky,i never do,we tried a few at work and they don't hold a candle to real Hondas,the clones last a tenth,if that in construction use,i have one with about 50 hours(a gas single)and the coil died,and the pull start bolts are stripped,iguess some people get lucky with them

SALTYWRIGHT

I have put 2 diesels from china in my horses. one in a 417-8 and one in a 1054. both have been very good. the 10 h/p has more power than the 17 h/p I took out.

DrabHorse

Where is a good place to buy these engines?  Just browsing around for now, I may consider something like this later on.

boovuc

The 22HP Diesel I am interested in is a salty 1500+ bucks but if you price a similar Kohler, Robins-Suburu or a Lombardini, it is ridicules.

If you google "Winsun, diesel, A1Biofuel" using the commas as I have, it should give you some Fleabay links where they detail the engines.

Aldon: To answer your question, mine doesn't stall or dog-out under normal conditions. (520-H/20HP Gas Onan). I want a diesel for the fuel economy. More power/torque but not drinking my 3 gallon tank dry in two hours use using the loader. The diesel would also be great on a snowblower tractor. Again, when under a load, the gasoline twins really suck down fuel. Winsun makes a single cyl 13 HP diesel that would provide plenty of power for the 520-H but the twin diesel they now offer has me really thinking. 

Aldon

Thanks for clarifying. At almost 4bucks a gallon, I am starting to consider fuel efficiency more than I had in the past. Definite something to consider...

Kelly

boovuc

Nice Kelly! How much time do you have on that motor to date?