rmaynard

Harbor Freight Deal on HVLP Spray Gun

rmaynard

From time to time we all have entered into the discussion of "what do you use to paint with?" . Well, the Harbor Freight HVLP gun always comes up. I have said, any time they go on sale, I pick up a couple. It's easier and cheaper to just throw them away than to spend money on lacquer thinner to clean them, not to mention the time involved.

This weekend Harbor Freight is having a "Yard Sale". Here is what I got.

post-2221-0-90868800-1408812964_thumb.pn

Then I presented this:

post-2221-0-37303000-1408812999_thumb.pn

So, bottom line is $9.99 less 25% = $7.49 each. I bought four of them. I had 4 coupons, and I had to go through several different registers to get my discount, but it was worth it.

• Like 5

Racinbob

I bought one of those quite a while ago but haven't used it yet. I have very little experience with a paint sprayer. Your paint jobs look great Bob. What paint do you use and how are you thinning it? My paint of choice would be Rusty Regal red. Any hardener? I'm thinking I'll try painting the 'body' parts on my Suburban with the sprayer in a couple months.

rmaynard

On the last one I did, the 857, I used PPG Shop-Line acrylic enamel. It is mixed in a ratio of 8:1:1, (paint:hardener:thinner). All of the products were purchased at my local PPG jobber.

I've never sprayed Rustoleum through an HVLP sprayer. I am not sure what hardener or thinner would be required. You could probably contact customer service at Rustoleum and get that info.

The reason I don't use Rustoleum is due to the fact that it is an oil based enamel paint, and curing time can be lenghty. An acrylic enamel will air dry and cure in 16 hours. Force dried at 140 degrees it takes 30 minutes.

By the way, all of my tractors have been painted with the HF HVLP guns.

Sparky

Does it have to be purple :ychain:  .

That is a great deal tho.

Mike.........

JimD

I've only ever used rattle cans because I don't have an elaborate compressor set up with an air dryer moisture remover gizmo. Are they required to use the HB HPLV guns?

squonk

You need a decent compressor H igh V olume  L  ow  P  ressure. Dumps lots of air at once. I use a HVLP TP Tools  turbine. Just plug it in. Sounds like a vacuum cleaner. I have painted my tractors, stained fences and painted porches with it. Craig could paint tractors in his living room with it!  :)

post-2380-0-77552200-1408822702.jpg

Edited by squonk

AMC RULES

Well, maybe...    :dunno:

in the basement when the Mrs and all her rules ain't home. 

• Like 3

pacer

This is another really good deal at HF, I also keep 3-4 of em on standby.

A HF extra for the HVLP guns that is really neat to have is these 'throwaway cups' for a whopping $6.99

image_13123.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-air-spray-gun-disposable-paint-cups-97098.html

I'll use one of them when Im gonna use a full cup and just pitch it when through - (I find red (rustoleum sunrise red) is one of the most difficult to clean from a gun)

Speaking of cleaning, you really cant get one of these guns clean by doing a 'flush' (like I used to do a Binks type gun). There will invariably be a blob of paint left in the pocket under the cup. You have to unscrew the head and clean behind it - I use brake cleaner with the 'straw' tip to pressure it clean

I dont think you would need a heavy duty compressor with one of these, I run mine off my conventional compressor at 35-40psi - I find it takes that to get good atomization

• Like 1

rmaynard

I've only ever used rattle cans because I don't have an elaborate compressor set up with an air dryer moisture remover gizmo. Are they required to use the HB HPLV guns?

Jim,

I don't use anything special. My old compressor is just a 6.25hp, 28 gallon, 150 psi.

post-2221-140882685577_thumb.jpg

I use disposable moisture filters.

post-2221-140882690546_thumb.jpg

The compressor runs a lot, but seems sufficient to power the gun.

• Like 2

js5020

Jim, I sprayed the WH with an HPLV (not a HF brand, but still a cheapie) with my ordinary craftsman compressor, no fancy drier gizmo and rustoleum and the job turned out very nice.  Its best to have a drier thingy not just for painting but for other air tools but I don't, then again Im not using spendy devices on it,,,, heck for the price of that gun Id use it and 6 it once done with a project and buy another when needed.

Wishin4a416

A brand new Harbor freight opening here Tues. Wonder if they will have good deals. I will have to look. You did good Bob!

rmaynard

I'll bet they carry over the "yard sale" prices to the grand opening. You can copy that image of the coupon or get one of your own from this link:

http://www.couponsherpa.com/printable-coupons/coupon/922000/

Wishin4a416

I'll bet they carry over the "yard sale" prices to the grand opening. You can copy that image of the coupon or get one of your own from this link:

http://www.couponsherpa.com/printable-coupons/coupon/922000/

Thanks Bob! I will print a couple out.

Fun Engineer

Look what Mrs. Funengineer brought home the other day. She's a keeper [emoji7]

bu8ase7u.jpg

• Like 2