Hossenfeffa

312-8 tire size

Hossenfeffa

I have a 1984 or 85 312-8. The rear tires are 22x7.50x12. Is this the normal tire and wheel size for this tractor? They look skinny compared to some of the other tractors I have seen, however, they were not the same model as mine. Does anyone still make tire chains for this size tire, and if so, where would I find some? Thank you in advance

Racinbob

It must be at least an 85. I believe that was the first year for the 300/400 designations. The 22x7.50's are probably correct along with 6" fronts. I didn't find the info to confirm on a quick search. In 1976/77 the B's had that size while the C's had 23x8.50. It likely was the same for the 300/400 series that year. An Ebay search would find some chains and you could use 23x8.50 chains as well.

Wishin4a416

My 87 312-8 came with 22x9.00-12. Armstrongs. I bought the tractor new and have never changed them.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Found it. The 85 300's did indeed come with 22x7.50's

Hossenfeffa

Thanks, folks. Much appreciated

Hossenfeffa

I am a little concerned with snow removal with my single stage snow thrower, with these narrow rear tires. Has anyone had experience with using the stock rear tires on their 312 with chains? Will a one inch wider tire fit in these rims? Rather than purchase a set of chains for this size tire and not have it work very well, I would rather get larger tires and chains right off the bat, if that is what I need

timo4352

I have the narrower tires 22 X 7.50 and chains on my '85 310-8. I prefer them over the wider tires myself. Plus my chains only fit the narrower tires. The narrower tire is no longer produced to my knowledge. Too bad. I'll have to by wider chains someday.

Edited by timo4352

Racinbob

You'll be fine. The difference in tire size that close wouldn't be noticed in the snow. Either way I'd put some weights on it. Yes, 23x8.50 12's will fit on the rims with no problem. Personally, I like the looks of the bigger tires. You can find chains for your current tires or the larger chains will work as long as you get them tight enough. If you get the larger chains you'll have the option of going with the bigger tires down the road without have to buy different chains.

Geno

I have a 1990 312-8 with the 23x8.50x12 tires and it looks fine.  I have 2 suppliers that can still get a 22x7.50x12 but they cost more so I usually go with the bigger tire.   :)