Geno

What are the best tires for snow removal?

shallowwatersailor

I now have to find chains for my new 25 inch tires but I'm not sure if they will clear my fenders, are the rubber chains any thinner? Do they still hook into ice like a chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a little thinner than chains. The rubber is about 1/2".

Lars

All this depends on the surface you have ...if it is the first time it goes smoothly without chains with good tires i really like sparkys tires looks to be a fighter in snow.. .. if you have hard snow / ice surface so there is no doubtthat chains work best ..Never tried rubber chains, but i dont belive in them when it comes to ice surfaces but on snow they will work ..... I know well what I talking about When it comes to this ..I live after all in Norway  :laughing-rofl:
here is what ill use ..

Edited by Lars
  • Like 3

varosd

geez!  we are not even into Leaf season yet!

I use the rubber chains+weights on turfs on the back of my snow team:

520-H with the thrower

416-8 with the blade

I'm adding front metal weights for the 416

I know folks have used Tri ribs and or single chain on the fronts, but having an extra too small of a set of rubber tire chains (super find on CL) I'm wondering if putting them on the front will improve traction/prevent skidding....?

• Like 2

cheesegrader

Lars,

I have chain envy!

I like the rest of the toys, too!

dodgemike

I have always ran rear weight and

chains. I plow a large gravel drive

plus several blocks of sidwalk. The

wet slushy stuff the city rolls onto

the sidewalk is the hard plowing.

It has been as much as 24" deep.

And it freezes quickly. I have a

dedicated Predator powered blower w/chains for the walk. Put

it in 1st gear and let it eat. I have

thought about front chains. I

really need a FEL!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

RMCIII

All kidding aside, I am thinking about making a set of studded tires..... They would not go on until I knew the ground was frozen solid, then I'd put them on. I think they would do great. I ran studded tires on my 3 wheeler, when I had 1, during winters. I waited until I knew the ground was frozen, and then I'd slap them on. What a difference they made. Ice, snow, did not matter; they got traction, in anything you threw at them during winter. The only down side was, you had to inspect the tires, every couple days, to make sure none were almost ready to come out. I made that mistake ONCE> Sheet metal screw hit me in the back of the neck, and lodged there. I had no idea what happened. About 10 minutes later my buddy cut me off and said you are bleeding... Sur enough, we found the lodged sheet metal screw in the back of my neck.... We made sure to inspect regularly after that. But I don't think that a garden tractor can spin the tires as fast as a 3 wheeler would so I don't think I am going to have to worry about that.

Rob

• Like 2

aaubrey96

I've just used turfs and chains in the past and now I have weights and atv tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geno

Studded tires would be awesome.  :text-+1:

Geno

Another question, anyone have experience with using the these skid steer tires?  These were on one I brought home yesterday.  Would they be better or worse than the ag tires?   :eusa-think:

post-13404-0-36495700-1410270689_thumb.j

CasualObserver

Geno,  aren't you putting way too much thought into this one?  You live in Kentucky. What's your average snowfall per event... or even all winter? weathermansnow.gif  

If you're really that concerned.... you have enough tires to have a pair ready for each situation. Start with Ags or Turfs without chains...if you get stuck, jack it up, swap a pair with chains on and go. It's only 10 bolts to swap them out. 

• Like 1

Geno

I put too much thought into everything, I have OCD remember.  :laughing-rolling:   I don't just say that either, I have papers from a shrink from over 20 years ago.  :eusa-doh:

Sometimes we get very little snow, sometimes several feet, I've seen drifts at the shop over the hood of my trucks.  The past 2 years as soon as I got things cleared it would snow a day or 2 later.  I just want to have the best ready for anything when it happens.  I have a lot to choose from so why not.   :laughing-rolling:

RMCIII

Regardless of what you decide to put on, if you have severe conditions, you will need chains... There are no said tires that will serve your purpose without some sort of support, ie-chains...... Snow and ice are extremes that no 1 tire,without support, can deal with. I run turf tires with chains, it works well. I live in Cleveland, we had some 45" of snow along with freezig rai and ice last year. Any tire with support will work well.... BTW I am going to try some new treads this year.

• Like 1