AJ_Thanatos

My first Wheel Horse ( C-100 )

AJ_Thanatos

Hey All,

Well like the title says, I have acquired my first Wheel Horse. It is a 1974 C-100 with a plow. She is in pretty rough shape body wise, and a bit cold blooded, but once you get her warmed up she can plow as much snow as I can throw at here. 

I don't know a thing about tractors so please be easy on me. I plan on rebuilding the engine and cleaning up the body a bit. This is the first time I have took on a project like this, so I'm hoping some people on this forum can put up with my ignorance and help me out along the way.  :confusion-scratchheadblue: After all I am way out of my realm here, by day I am a Humidification product engineer.  :banghead:

So my very first question to you folks is this: I have been lurking around the forums and google and I see all these, I hope Im saying this right, like "pulling tires" like big tractor tire treads. How do I get a set of those and how do I know what size I need? (there is my first ignorant question, sorry) 

So any help would be much appreciated... 

Thanks in advance 

AJ 

Oh I tried to upload a photo but it is way bigger than the 1MB limit. Any camera now days takes every picture at least triple that. 

Update: with pictures now (Thanks to my new supporter status). I will get better ones tonight as I just uncovered it this year. It was on the side of my garage, I know that is probably a sin in some of your eyes, but rest assured it is now going to be taken care like a new born baby! 

post-13750-0-19785200-1408654736_thumb.jpost-13750-0-57531200-1408654740_thumb.jpost-13750-0-34442400-1408654745_thumb.j

Edited by Thanatos
  • Like 3

nhunt308

Welcome! Get that picture size sorted out! We love pictures! From what I have learned on here is the tires you are looking for can be had at miller tire website. Im not sure on your model but I would guess a 23x10.50x12 would fit nice. But let some other give some input too.

• Like 1

rmaynard

:WRS:  Glad to have you aboard. You can use a simple editing program to make your picture smaller, or if you plan on staying around, become a supporter. Lot's of perks are afforded you, among which is picture size. I am not a pulling guy, so I too will let others respond to the tire question. As far as the engine rebuild, the K241 is a very dependable engine. Rebuilding is relatively easy, however, a reasonable amount of mechanical skill is necessary, as well as some good basic shop tools, a place to work, and a good reliable machine shop handy for taking measurements, and machining as necessary.

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

:WRS:  Glad to have you aboard. You can use a simple editing program to make your picture smaller, or if you plan on staying around, become a supporter. Lot's of perks are afforded you, among which is picture size. I am not a pulling guy, so I too will let others respond to the tire question. As far as the engine rebuild, the K241 is a very dependable engine. Rebuilding is relatively easy, however, a reasonable amount of mechanical skill is necessary, as well as some good basic shop tools, a place to work, and a good reliable machine shop handy for taking measurements, and machining as necessary.

Thanks you for the reply, both of you. 

I don't really plan on do any pulling but the chains on my current rig are tearing up my driveway. Would those tires still be able to get through the snow without chains? And really you never know about me pulling, the right friends and the right beverages may change my mind one night..  :teasing-neener:

And what is the proper name for those tires or tread pattern?

AJ_Thanatos

And Tada!! new 2-year supporter here!!!

• Like 2

Sparky

And what is the proper name for those tires or tread pattern?

I believe you are talking about agricultural tires commonly referred to as ag's here on the forum. Personally I have tried ag's in the snow with plenty of wheel weights and they were nowhere near as good as my 2 ply turf tires with weights. I never run chains on my driveway.

I specified 2 ply because I have found that 2 ply tires are more pliable than 4 ply and give better traction.

:WRS:

Mike............

oneroadkingman

welcome there to the site.those tires u are refiring to are called ag tires.they are a little pricey so hold on to your pocket book when u start looking.

i would go with a brand name like Carlisle there made here in the USA.. :USA:

Racinbob

:WRS: Thank you for becoming a supporter so quickly. It a very small price to pay for supporting this great site. You're on your way to addiction and it's a good one to have. Nice start with that C-100 and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Ed Kennell

:thanks: For supporting , and :WRS:   The C-100 is a great tractor... One of my favorite rebuilds.   As far as traction w/o chains ,I would go with the Turf tires and fill them with

Windshield washer fluid for weight.   Takes about 7 gal/ tire. Pep boys sells the -30 for $2.49. 

I don't have a puller, but I am sure those who do pull will tell you to check with your local clubs to get all the rules and regs before you invest in any equipment.

Molon_Labe

First of all :WRS:  Those C series are great tractors, I know you'll love it.

Geno

Welcome to the Horse barn.     :text-welcomewave:     She'll make a nice tractor when you're done. 

AMC RULES

KC9KAS

I too use "turf tires" with fluid in them and tire chains for snow plowing duty. Works very well!

Geno

:thanks: For supporting , and :WRS:   The C-100 is a great tractor... One of my favorite rebuilds.   As far as traction w/o chains ,I would go with the Turf tires and fill them with

Windshield washer fluid for weight.   Takes about 7 gal/ tire. Pep boys sells the -30 for $2.49. 

I don't have a puller, but I am sure those who do pull will tell you to check with your local clubs to get all the rules and regs before you invest in any equipment.

I hope you're using tubes with that, the washer fluid won't freeze but it doesn't have any rust inhibitors in it.   :blink:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Wellcome to the craziness. NICE 1ST TRACTOR. You will soon find out what I mean. Lol Thanks for the pics and best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Tubes it is Geno.

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Thank You all for the very nice Welcome.. Everyone seems very nice here, unlike most forums. 

Well just an update, I pulled her out of the weeds and cleaned her up just a bit. Took the chains and weights off because we had a mission for tonight. I needed to clear some land for a massive swing set for my children and I though what better way to do that then with the WH. So once she started up we were off and she ran like a champ! 

Here are some better pics of her not covered in weeds. And please don't mind the mess in the garage my kids are spoiled brats..  haha

Oh and Im guessing the yellow wheels are not original, correct?

And Im not real sure where to start on a project like this so if anyone has any pointers I am more than thankful. 

post-13750-0-51242700-1408670784_thumb.jpost-13750-0-84461800-1408670838_thumb.jpost-13750-0-82135700-1408670901_thumb.jpost-13750-0-36067000-1408670972_thumb.j

Edited by Thanatos
  • Like 2

rmaynard

You have your first "thanks". That is for becoming a supporter. Now that you are one, you will notice that there are no ads, and you have much more latitude with posting pictures. Also, you can make more PM's (personal messages). There is a whole section that is only available to supporters as well. But best of all, your user ID is now in RED.

rmaynard

Where to start :scratchead: . Well, I'd say clean out 1/2 half of the garage and don't think about using it for the car again until next year.

Take copious pictures of everything on the tractor. I mean everything. Each part, nut, bolt, pin, lever, rod, spring, wire, etc., etc. Then and only then, start taking it apart. The pictures will be your best friend when you start to put it back together.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I think she really looks good as is.  The tin looks straight and even the decals are good.  The first thing I would do is paint the wheels.  Then rub some of the rust off the tin with green scotch-brite to uncover the red paint.  Then rub her down with oil and put her to work.

Keep your eyes open for the seat and back cushions.

Edited by ekennell

AJ_Thanatos

Where to start :scratchead: . Well, I'd say clean out 1/2 half of the garage and don't think about using it for the car again until next year.

Take copious pictures of everything on the tractor. I mean everything. Each part, nut, bolt, pin, lever, rod, spring, wire, etc., etc. Then and only then, start taking it apart. The pictures will be your best friend when you start to put it back together.

Haha... I know right.. the garage.. The best thing though, I no longer have a wife telling me I have to do it. Just new forum friends! It never ends!

And great Idea.. I do have the original manual for her too and it seems to have a great breakdown of everything. But I still plan on taking pictures of everything. And I also plan on  replacing every nut, bolt, pin and rod. I am pretty lucky really. My Dad is a Master Tool and Die maker, so I have no limitations (other than his time, which is tough to get sometimes) to any small part that may need to be repaired or fabricated.  :bow-blue:

I think she really looks good as is.  The tin looks straight and even the decals are good.  The first thing I would do is paint the wheels.  Then rub some of the rust off the tin with green scotch-brite to uncover the red paint.  Then rub her down with oil and put her to work.

Keep your eyes open for the seat and back cushions.

Perfect Idea. Yeah your right, there really isn't and dents or anything, just a bit rusty. So I will start with pictures and some light body work just to see if we can get the red out of her.. 

I appreciate it so much! Thank You guys!!

I will post pictures every bit of the way if you would like. 

AJ  :)

• Like 2

jackhammer

Welcome Thantos and I'm glad to see you have become a supporter here.

Not a bad looking tractor you have there, good luck with the ideas you have for it.

As mentioned above use your pics  and other materials for it ,,saves a bunch of time

:woohoo:

Rick

AMC RULES

Yes please...

:wwp:

:thanks:

AJ_Thanatos

Well guys, just another update..  Changed the oil, cleaned the spark plug and threw it on the charger. 

Put alot of elbow grease into it and rebuilt the plow linkage and greased her up nice. :)

And now for the pictures you always want.post-13750-0-99229400-1409015762_thumb.jpost-13750-0-97694300-1409015815_thumb.jpost-13750-0-51871600-1409015866_thumb.jpost-13750-0-69562900-1409015914_thumb.jpost-13750-0-48626000-1409015954_thumb.jpost-13750-0-93054800-1409016008_thumb.jpost-13750-0-70006800-1409016045_thumb.jpost-13750-0-50805400-1409016088_thumb.j

• Like 4

Geno

It should do real good this Winter.  Now all you need is some snow.  :text-+1: