oneroadkingman

clutch pedal

oneroadkingman

C 105 with a 4 speed high low box.it shifts ok everything there my question is when you let the clutch out its slow to engage you have to pull it back with the heel of your boot to get it to engage or sidestep the clutch pedal to get engaged what could be the problem this is not normal.

Racinbob

Could you give a little more info please, mainly the year. I thought all the C series just used the spring return. Then it could be a weak spring or linkage binding. If it uses the strut setup without a spring it would probably be the strut. Or some models use the spring and a damper. Then the damper is probably the culprit. Personally, If you have a strut or damper I'd change it to just a spring return.

oneroadkingman

The year is a 79 c-101

Thanks.

Ed Kennell

Check to be sure the lever on the 1/2" clutch cross over shaft is not slipping.  It is only fixed with a 1/8" roll pin. I have had them shear off.

There is also a 1/8" pin on the belt side that keeps the shaft in the correct L/R location. If this is missing, the shaft will bind up.

Edited by ekennell

oneroadkingman

ok thanks ill check it out after the rain stops.

Racinbob

OK Rick, that model just uses a spring which is good. Check out what Ed mentioned. Good advice and I've seen that as well. Disconnect the spring and see if there's any binding. Make sure the return spring is good. If in doubt, just replace it. They are still available. Just go through everything. It's a very simple setup. I suspect the problem will expose itself.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Rick, If you do end up taking the clutch shaft /lever apart, below is an alteration I do to all shaft pins.  Depending on the shaft and pin dia., this will increase the pin shear area and strength  2-4 x.

One caution....If the pin is designed to shear at a specific torque to protect other components, do not add this pin.

post-7208-0-91761600-1408628279_thumb.jp

• Like 1

oneroadkingman

ok i finally got to check it out and the 1/8 roll pin is still in there not broken.i added a nother spring to the petal to make it return faster and it worked for a while then it started doing the same thing all over again .any new ideas? thanks

Ed Kennell

Have you removed the foot pedal linkage and the spring and checked for binding at the foot pedal and at the clutch crossover shaft ?  If you are sure there is no binding  at these two places,  The next thing I would try is to disconnect the brake operating rod and see if that helps. That brake rod has to slide thru the hole in the band .

Racinbob

Doing what Ed mentioned likely will expose the problem. I would just remove the spring and move the pedal through the travel range. It should be free with no binding and so excessive slop. If there's binding go through every pivot point until you find what's causing it. obviously it was fine before the problem occurred. If it's in the linkage something happened. If there's no binding try a new factory spring. It could be possible that the spring tension is twisting something causing the bind but not likely.