Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

My C160 is sick

BairleaFarm

I havent used this tractor much this summer. Its been sitting for a month or so because the starter is messed up on it and its not charging. the night i parked it I put the charger on it over night so it would have a fresh battery in case i needed to move it. I went out start it today and it doesn't really run. It fills the garage with eye watering fumes and wont say running. Its also back firing like a sob (hence the reason ive got no leg hair), There may be some gas coming from the intake on the carb but if it is it isnt much. Whatch thing? stuck valve? the thing rain decent when i parked it. Where in the heck is the tow valve? ive looked by the label and couldn't find anything.

BairleaFarm

could someone move this where it goes. Thanks

MaineDad

David,

Lift the fender and seat up and you should be able to see the tow valve on the left side of the transmission (seating side). It should have a slot for a regular screw driver.

Have you ever removed the carb and gave it a good cleaning? Perhaps the breather needs a new filter and gasket. You can see the valve while you are in there.

Sorry it's running so bad. Hope you get if figured out. We are here to help. Lord knows I've needed it for my C-160!

BairleaFarm

The carb is fairly new - replaced this year I think. As i say it ran fine when I parked it. Im off to locate the tow valve.

BairleaFarm

Got the carb and some of the tin off. The bendix gear is finally junk so no more turning it over. Got the tow valve loose with the help of the channel locks. The inline filter looks good and there was a little crud in the bowl. I can turn the engine over by hand and every time i do a full rotation a puff come out of the exhaust side(got the muffler off) I wonder if the battery is low and that was messing with things??

Raider12

Your battery being low on charge shouldn't have anything to do with it running poorly. By the way to discribed the symptoms, Im thinking the points unless you have the electronic ignition? Are you sure the choke was opend all the way?

Denver

BairleaFarm

The choke was open - i had the filter off. I choked it to start it (normally i can open the choke as soon as it starts) and had to leave the choke closed to make it run, then i had to open the choke to make it run and so forth. It was back firing and blowing flames out the muffler and the fumes were so strong in the garage(doors open) they made my eyes water. It then died.

You may be on to something. it might have been fireing when the valve we open partial. a couple of time it seemed fuel was comming from the intake.

linen beige

It sure sounds like it's out of timing or the condensor is bad (maybe just a bad ground.) Crud in the carb aint helping matters none, but shouldn't cause her to spit fire out the pipes. And them fumes was yer leg fur a'burnin'!

BairleaFarm

Im going trough the wireing again to be sure i havent missed anything. I did notice the coil so to use with external resister - problem #1

WheelHorse_of_course

Im going trough the wireing again to be sure i havent missed anything. I did notice the coil so to use with external resister - problem #1

Please clarify this statement :banghead:

BairleaFarm

Im going trough the wireing again to be sure i havent missed anything because i rewired this a month or 2 ago and wanted to check to be sure i hadnt wired anything wring

I did notice the coil so to use with external resister it said something like this on the side of the coil.

Anywho I stole the starter, coil, condenser from the b80 and a spare rectifier i had laying around. Putt all that on and tightened a loose connection at the points (Problem 2 im sure) and started it up. It ran good. Hope to get it all buttoned up tomorrow :banana:

glenn27

Nice to have other tractor's around with the same parts-- :banghead: -and that's one thing about the Kohler "K's"--a lottsa of parts are interchangeable.

WheelHorse_of_course

If the coil needs a resistor and you do not have one installed the symptom will be points that don't last very long due to arcing.

BairleaFarm

Ill keep it as a spare for the time being and grab a resistor at a later date.