Desko

This 416 is looking good and did you buy sliver paint to redo the bolts or are they just in good shape? Keep up the great work and progress and I bet we all know how it feels when we lose a bolt or two and have to tear the garage apart to find them.

km3h

Buying them from the Toro dealer is a very expensive proposition. I'm with you Martin. I have a lot of them and I think I will do just that. There are several places here that do plating. I think I will take all the hardware on my next rebuild and have it plated. Now for the normal nuts and bolts, I have found the plated are about $4.50 a pound mix and match no matter what size, at Tractor Supply. That's a good price. There are a lot of nuts and bolts in a pound. for the regular bright stuff it is about $2.50.

After spending a lot of time looking around the shop, I finally found those parts I was looking for. Have to paint them tomorrow. I can see the end to this project in the near future. Can't wait to run it around the yard. Going to have to bite the bullet and buy some tires for it soon too.

Geno

Glad you found your parts!  :icecream:

KyBlue

I hate loosing hardware ... I seem to loose some from every project i do ...  no matter how organized I try to be. Oh well. :roll:

Glad you were able to find what you were missing! :)

Edited by 4StarCstms
  • Like 1

Geno

I've got 7 of them apart now.  Old oil boxes or carts next to each one.  Us old people have to get more organized or we're in trouble.   :laughing-rolling:

Martin

i learned with the last one that i need to get more organized with the plating to make it more economical. with the 416-8 i rebuilt it just like all the others in the past, strip it down and start at the frame, make it a roller and slowly build it up from there. the fasteners i have always bought in small amounts as i went along as i didn't plan ahead and know for sure what style fasteners i would use for the different areas.

with the 416 though, i used all the oem fasteners for almost everything. so as i built up each section, i needed the fasteners for that section. i got the plating done in bulk, but there was always something that was missing, and then i would need to start another plating run (5 gal bucket that i would throw the fasteners i needed in and when i had enough to justify taking it in to plate, i would do that). of course waiting for them would cause a hold up in one area or another and slow things down.

when i started the 416-8 i planned on one run to the platers, that turned into two as i forgot about many parts and some of the ones i got done on the first run were too pitted and weren't good enough. then towards the end i realized that i would need to make a third run as i still forgot about some smaller brackets and stuff. when you plate absolutely every fastener on them, they quickly add up. i even did things like the carb screws that hold the top on and all the choke brackets etc etc..... some people don't think about all the little things, but they really quickly add up. anyone can see the detail from my pics on the adventures thread that i didn't really skip over any of them. because i got extras done so i could choose from the best looking ones, i now have many spares that are plated.....

of the five wheel horses I've rebuilt and used new fasteners on, i have almost all the oem fasteners, rusty, greasy, whatever, that i will get done for the future. theres maybe two full 5 gallon buckets right now if i add up all the misc. stuff.

on the next one, (yeah, I will admit, I'm planning it), the tractor will get all the fasteners and parts on it first before i pull it down. then maybe i can do it in one go........

...or maybe just limit it to two.

km3h

I have tried to use all new fasteners on this project. There were a few I could not locate and felt they ere the right type for the job at hand so I cleaned them up and used them. The point I am making is that I now have most of all I might need for the next one. I painted all the rods and things but I would have liked to get them plated. That is what I will do next time.

This one has been a learning experience for me. As you can see by the posts I have made I kept having to take things apart because I got ahead of myself and did not put them in the right order. Won't make that mistake again.

I hope to get it on the floor on Tuesday. I want to put the engine on it and finish the wiring. Tomorrow I am going to put the black on the hood and hopefully install the electric wench in the shop attic. That way I can lift some of the heavy stuff up there and get some more space on the floor. It will make it easier to change blades and lift tractors to work on them.

Martin, what did you do about the round thingy that covers the steering column? Did you paint it or polish it or did you just get a new on?. Mine is in good shape, just dull. Thinking of that slippery stuff you don't dare put on seats. Armorall.

Martin

Nick, i have polished the column plastic and also have just replaced them. if its just dull, use some plastic polish on it, sometimes rubbing it out with some ultra fine paper helps to get some of the stubborn marks off them. use plastic lens polish or on most of the smooth plastic i use Mothers cleaner wax.

the last one i bought a new piece..... part #113443 $17.76 (Power Equipment Warehouse) -

i don't use armor all on anything.

Edited by Martin

km3h

Wiring is all in place. Could not paint today as it rained and was damp. Tomorrow, God Willing and I can enlist the aid of my neighbor, it will hit the floor for final assembly. This has gone faster than I thought it would.

km3h

Temporary wheels are on and the girl is on the floor for final assembly. Put the engine on the bench for assembly of the tins and such.

I wanted to replace the momentary switch for the idiot lights. Looked it up at Jacks small engines #116796 and "Holy Catfish Batman" the $38.00 price on that sucker is just not going to happen. That's simply outrageous for a $3.00 switch. I will find another source or use the old one. That's just for the switch. The lockdown nut, washers are sold separately.    

Martin

Nick, i think del city, mouser electronics or one of them had the exact switch. not sure right now, sorry not much help, but with looking they are out there, and cheap too from what i remember. get the number off it if you can, saves a bunch of searching. let me know if you need me to look at the number on one of mine....

hey, haven't seen any pics for a while??????

• Like 1

Geno

km3h

I found them at Allied Electronics. Looks like an exact replacement. Order a couple of extras and five switch caps. The caps seem to fall of as I have two without them. I checked the Dell City catalog but could not find any in there. These are Eaton switches same as the one that was on the tractor.

I also ordered a supply of molex pins today on EBay. Have some connectors I want to refresh with new pins before I button up this project.

• Like 2

Geno

The new molex pins is a really good idea.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

km3h

So, here we are, on the floor at last. Tomorrow I will start finishing the engine. I need too paint the muffler and put the tins on. I also must try to paint the hood grill black if the weather holds. I really want to get that done so I can let it harden before I put it on the tractor. I was tempted to put the seat pan on to see what it looked like but I decided to wait for the grill and the rest of the dash panels and put the decals on everything at one time. 

Yesterday I bought two more sets of decals from Terry. He really does a great job on them. 

I really have to get some tires for this thing. These are the ones that came with it and they go flat almost as soon as I fill them

post-2564-0-39812700-1412128910_thumb.jp  post-2564-0-62039800-1412128925_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Geno

She's rollin!  :text-woo:   Did you get my tire pic email?

km3h

Yes I did. They look expensive. What size are they. Sure make that tractor look good.

Geno

Those are the Carlisle, stock size, 23-850-12.

• Like 1

km3h

So I was in the shop today off and on between posts on here and eating dinner. I spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out how to mount the darn coil. I knew it filled a hole somewhere and I lined up the wires leading to it but I could not find that hole to save my soul. Then it dawned on me that the hole is in the front engine shroud. Picked it up and sure enough there it was. Another lesson learned.

Here's an update on what I have done so far.

Put another coat of black on the engine shrouds. post-2564-0-78239800-1412292682_thumb.jp

Painted the black on the hood. post-2564-0-89388700-1412292662_thumb.jppost-2564-0-94013700-1412292638_thumb.jp

Put the decals on the hood. It's a good thing those decals are a bit forgiving. I had a tough time lining them up and took a couple of them on and off several times until I got it where I thought it should go. I like the way they look.

Terry should be very proud of his craftsmanship. He does a great job on them and a big service to all Wheel Horse aficionados.

post-2564-0-55939100-1412292712_thumb.jppost-2564-0-55939100-1412292712_thumb.jppost-2564-0-51776400-1412292728_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-03840600-1412292744_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Geno

Never get tired of seeing nice work, looks great!  :handgestures-thumbsup:

km3h

I am kind of happy with the way it is turning out. I am looking forward to the next project. I ordered two more decal kits from terry, so that should tell you something.

Edited by km3h

km3h

The real fun part is when I get it finished and go visit my neighbor who gave it to me. He was going to take it to the dump. Can't wait to see the look on his face when he sees it.

Geno

You should take a camera!  I want to see that look.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

AAAHHHH... I love to see the color contrast of the red and black on the hood. Emeril Lagasse..... BBAAMMM :happy-smileyinthebox:

• Like 1

km3h

Engine is wired and all tins are in place. I will be setting on the frame after dinner. I want to hear it run tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3