Geno

Wonder if the aerosol paint remover would get in there any better?    :eusa-think:

Edited by Geno

km3h

I don't think so Gino. I slopped that stuff in there pretty thick. Then I power washed it with a 3000 PSI washer and it did not do much. There is no way to get a wire brush in there to get it clean of rust. Only takes a few seconds to take the panel out and a few more seconds to put it back. Just seemed like the thing to do. Tomorrow I will put the primer on it and maybe a coat of red along with it. If this hood turns out as good as the 417-H did I will be happy.

Last week I put a wanted add up here for one of the metal transmission tubes. Got a response from someone who wanted $30.00 for one. Made an offer of $20.00 and got no answer so I guess he did not like that. Went up un EBay and bid $4.99 for the whole set of four. Won the bid and paid $6.00 shipping. Also bought the dash cover for my 520-H from the same guy for $20.00. Shipped in the same box. I am way ahead of the game right now and happy. I want to finish this project so I can start on the 520 next.

Geno

Glad she's coming together!  Sounds like you got it all under control.  :icecream:

km3h

Put two coats of primer on the Horse today. Tomorrow I am going to sand that critter till she is as slick as a baby's bun.

post-2564-0-15588200-1410208955_thumb.jppost-2564-0-56364000-1410208969_thumb.jp

Hope to start final assembly later this week. This is the last piece that needs painting except for the wheels and I will wait to do that until after I get a new set of shoes for the old girl.

Geno

This isn't gonna take you long at all is it.   :text-+1:

km3h

I hope not. I took a couple days off this past week because it was just too hot for me or I would already have everything painted. I work that way sometime. I get motivated and just jump right in. I would probably be halfway finished the assembly if I could have used the hood from my 417 but it has louvers and that just won't do. Then I lost three days with the crap in my eyes. After I made the last post I went back out and sanded the primer and am ready get to it in the morning. I will probably put two coats of paint on her. I will let it dry a few days between coats and sand.

km3h

Moving right along, I painted the hood today. Last big painting project for this tractor.

post-2564-0-54387300-1410306040_thumb.jp post-2564-0-94839200-1410306054_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-15807700-1410306077_thumb.jp post-2564-0-07857800-1410306093_thumb.jp

post-2564-0-59416300-1410306106_thumb.jp

I will wait a few weeks to mask and paint the black. I don't want to take a chance of marring the paint with masking tape. I am really getting torqued over this project. Can't wait to finish and start the 417-H. I also want to take the motor off the 520-H and open it up to check it. Life is good here on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay.

• Like 3

Geno

Very nice paint work.  What did you paint it with?  :)

km3h

Good old Rust-O Regal Red. I have painted with a spray gun and I don't think IO could have gotten a better finish than this one even with a gun. I would defy anyone to tell me the difference.

Last night I used 600 grit on the primer and got it very, very smooth. Today I grabbed the rattle can and gave it a good shake and went at it. Spray it thin and keep the can moving and then go back over it again. Grab a cold beer and lite a cigarette. Finish the Cigarette and then recoat.

Then you grab another cold one and sit in the garage door and watch the grass grow. Every five minutes you get up and go back to the work area and smile.

Tomorrow if it does not need a second full coat, I will move it inside the house for a week and let it cure. Then maybe I will mask it and paint the black. Or I might wait another week. I still have a lot of parts to install so there is no real hurry. I talked to Terry last night and am waiting for the dash decals anyway. He shipped them out today so they should be here in a few days.

Edited by km3h
  • Like 2

Geno

Good old Rust-O Regal Red. I have painted with a spray gun and I don't think I could have gotten a better finish than this one even with a gun. I would defy anyone to tell me the difference.

I agree, that's why I had to ask.  :)

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

You layed all that beautiful paint and have not installed the headlight bracket yet? Whats your plan stan? You mentioned tacking it back in place a little earlier. Looks great! I would hate to have to see you touch it up because of the install

Edited by Theroundhousernr

km3h

I will use pop rivets. I know it won't be original but when I took the plate out it was riddled with pin holes from rust. I knew if I put it back I would not be able to get it coated with a protective coat of paint so that's what I decided to do. This is not going to be an exact reproduction as I am going to use the patriotic decals.

I will wait for the paint to get hard and put masking tape over the paint and drill the holes, remove the tape and pop the rivets in.I do not believe it will detract from the appearance at all.

Edited by km3h

Don1977

I guess your hood didn't have the reinforcing bars.

Martin

Nick, i think Don is talking about these......

post-4321-0-85563600-1410475814_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Geno

I've seen them both ways, my 414-8, 312-8 and 520H has them but my 417A doesn't.  Something new to learn, which ones have them and which ones don't.   :eusa-doh: 

• Like 1

Martin

they were a design change to stiffen up the hood. not sure when it was done, all my 90s tractors have them. 

• Like 2

Geno

You may be on to something there Martin, my 417 is an 86, and the other 3 are 87 414, 89 520, and 90 312.  :eusa-think:

If this is true it would help us narrow down a year range by simply looking for the bar, if the hoods were original that is.  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob

Looking great! I agree about getting a great paint job with Rusty Regal Red. Under the right conditions and done properly it comes out great. Can't wait to see the patriotic decals on it. I'm considering them for my 2005.

• Like 1

km3h

This tractor does not have the braces, but I have another one out there that does. I will have to go out and check the numbers to see what year it is.

Don1977

Not having the reinforcing may be the reason the light bracket was broken loose and rusting.

km3h

Not having the reinforcing may be the reason the light bracket was broken loose and rusting.

I can't see that being a problem. What is a problem is that at the factory, they painted the hood with the bracket already attached. There was little chance that paint would completely cover the entire light bracket. And we all know that Wheel Horse never used primer on anything. At least nothing that I have worked on.

When I did the hood for my 417-H I put the whole hood in a plastic 55 gallon barrel to remove the rust with electrolysis. When I pulled it out, the headlight bracket was riddled with rust holes and had gotten so thin I thought I was going to have to get another hood. I was able to salvage the bracket but I removed it cleaned it thoroughly and primed and painted it. I don't expect I will ever have a problem with it as IO made sure the rust was removed and treated properly.

The next hood I do I will probably do the same, except I will prime the bracket and the entire hood and then paint the bracket and spot weld it back before I paint the entire hood.

Thing is you actually have to get the paint off the bracket to see the rust holes.

km3h

I just ordered the foot pedal from Matt. I am really excited about that. I am sure that it will be a lot more fun cruising around with the pedal.

darren

Fantastic work Nick, she's looking awesome :thumbs:

I've also opted for the foot pedal - great service from Matt. I haven't fitted it yet but from what i read, you're not going to be disappointed!

Edited by darren

km3h

I also got the headlight bracket painted tonight. did not take photos yet but will tomorrow. I am also going to take the time to straighten out the shop tomorrow and put a lot of tools away that I have left stranded all the place. It's a good thing I have lots of duplicate tools because I can't find a lot of what I need from time to time. I then have to go to the box and get another.

I want to wait for the foot pedal to get here before I really get into putting everything back together. Know I have to drill at least on hole and want to do that with the part off the tractor.

Went to Harbor Freight tonight and bought an electric hoist. Going to mount it up near the roof of my garage so I can lift heavy stuff into the attic. Going to have to wire a longer cord for the control so I can operate it from the floor but that should not be much of a problem. This will be nice to use when I want to install a deck or the dozer blade. And it will make it easy to sharpen or change mower blades.

• Like 1

Geno

I am also going to take the time to straighten out the shop tomorrow and put a lot of tools away that I have left stranded all the place. It's a good thing I have lots of duplicate tools because I can't find a lot of what I need from time to time. I then have to go to the box and get another.

This happens more to me the older I get Nick.   :eusa-doh:  What stinks is when you go to the box for another and they're all gone.   :laughing-rolling: 

• Like 1