km3h

Well today is the day I started the restoration of my 416H. All sheet metal is off as is then wiring harness.

I had removed the engine last week to de-carbon it and set the valves.     post-2564-0-65300400-1408303781_thumb.jp

Wire harness came out easily                                                                      post-2564-0-81419000-1408303830_thumb.jp

Tried to get the steering wheel off. Not have much luck with this.               post-2564-0-43197100-1408303854_thumb.jp

Will go to Harbor Freight tomorrow and get a larger puller. This

one fits a little tight. The roll pin did come out easy for a change.

I hope I don't have to cut the steering wheel off like I did once before.

This wheel is in great shape.

Took it outside for a power wash. Will do it again after I get the rest apart. post-2564-0-23415300-1408303883_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Martin

Nick, the pullers on the wheel scare me a little. i must have been lucky as all three 416s i have the wheels have come off easy once the pin is out. are you sure theres not another pin in there or the remains of some?

usually the inside of the wheel where you have the puller screw pressing down isn't a through hole to the top of the steering shaft, did you drill out the plastic in the center of the wheel?

sometimes i do this to get some pb blaster in that area but normally that area is closed off to the shaft underneath. unless you drilled it out and the screw is pressing on the shaft itself, it won't press the wheel off the shaft

km3h

Therein lies my problem. I did not drill out the plastic. They other Horse I took the wheel off of did not have all that plastic. It was more Spartan with less gingerbread. No wonder the PB Blaster could not get down to do its deed. I will give it another go later.

The pin came out cleanly and there is a clear hole all the way through the shaft. Can't see any other place for another pin to be.  

Thanks again my friend.

Nick   

Edited by km3h
  • Like 1

Desko

This is a good tractor to restore and that wheel stands no chance lol you'll get it off

km3h

This is a good tractor to restore and that wheel stands no chance lol you'll get it off

Oh no, I will get it off. If you do not remove it you cant get the steering shaft out of the tractor. It usually takes patience and lots of BP Blaster.

Martin

with all these 416Hs coming out of the woodwork, I'm starting to hear voices from the corner of my garage where my 92 416H sits covered up. 

the voices are telling me its time to do a hydro, whats up with that?

• Like 5

km3h

I am anxious to try the foot pedal mod and thought this would be the right time to do it. I have always like the hydro's. Didn't your last restoration have a hydro in it?   

Martin

no, last one was an 8 speed. the 95 416 i got running before that was hydro but i just did a quick clean up on that one. 

i did have the 92 416H going at one stage with the Onan i used in the 8 speed build (OEM motor from the 8 speed) , but now its just a roller. i also had that one set up with the foot control. great set up.

confused yet?

• Like 1

km3h

Many years ago, I needed a 3/4 inch drill bit. It was very expensive to say the least and I only used it once on a motorcycle I had. I had a friend of mine who was a machinist cut the shank down to fit a 3/8 chuck. Used it and then put it back in the case it came in. Today I used it to drill that plastic out of the steering wheel. just the right size. Loaded that sucker up with PT Blaster. Tomorrow we will see if it comes off or I need to soak it some more. Patience is a virtue.

km3h

Well I got that Steering wheel off with no trouble this morning.

Reattached the bearing puller then gave it a couple of whacks with a hammer and off it came. post-2564-0-47658800-1408387719_thumb.jp

Now the old horse is ready for another bath before I remove the rear and separate the frame   post-2564-0-88485600-1408387961_thumb.jp

Every screw, nut and bolt and all small parts were bagged and tagged.                                      post-2564-0-68816300-1408388120_thumb.jp

Also took step by step photos as I dismantled it. Don't want to get stuck trying to figure out where something fits when I start putting this thing back together.

• Like 1

Desko

Making great progress there and like I said that steering wheel stood no chance. :)

• Like 1

km3h

Martin

There are a bunch of plastic inserts where the rods and things pass through holes. When you redid your last one you said you keep some on hand. Where did you get them? I don't want to reuse the old ones as some are cracked.

Martin

all the nyliner bushings can still be purchased new, i just get them through parts tree or lately I've been getting better deals through http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com

just use the illustrated parts lists to search on the sites.

you will be able to get most of the part numbers off my thread on the 416s but i didn't have the column levers like you so you would need to look them up.

km3h

Thanks Martin, I thought maybe you had a place that sold them by the dozen. I have several other tractors that are going to need them when I finish this one. I have the parts manual sitting right her on my desk.

Martin

if you want to spend the time and save some money, mcmaster carr and similar places have the plastic bushings. i could never be bothered to sit there and measure out what was needed, but I'm sure if somebody wanted to spend the time and cross reference it, i would be sure to steal all the part numbers if they were posted...... :)

• Like 1

km3h

Did some more work today. Gave it a third power wash. Then moved it up on my rolling work bench. I left the frame attached for now as I can manipulate the transmission easier this way.

post-2564-0-43321600-1408480031_thumb.jp

Built the bench so that I can sit on a roll around seat or have it at a good height when I stand. Makes it more comfortable for me. Less bending over and my back likes it better.post-2564-0-86677400-1408480112_thumb.jp

Took some time to wire brush part of it. Had to quit early today as I have a must attend meeting at 6:00 PM.

• Like 1

km3h

Got up early this morning and went out to the garage. Used a wire brush and got the transmission and frame prepped for painting. Thought I would do this one with rattle cans, so I went to Home Depot and bought a dozen cans of Rustoleum Regal Red.

Primer and first coat on and drying.post-2564-0-46356500-1408568696_thumb.jppost-2564-0-92800100-1408568708_thumb.jp

I already have the decal set for this one. I wanted to honor our service men and woman so I went with the Patriotic design this time. I know it is not pure Wheel Horse but I own the tractor and it is my choice. Now if I could just find a set of Stars and Bars decals for the next one that would be some pair.

• Like 3

km3h

So today started good. I got the dash pedestal cleaned up and ready for paint. Wish I had a sandblasting cabinet. Used a grinder and a wire brush Also used a drill and brush. Took some time but it came out good. The inside was a bear to get clean but I managed to get it done. Now a nice coat of primer and then some sanding and paint.

Before

post-2564-0-32740100-1408651200_thumb.jp post-2564-0-53778400-1408651306_thumb.jp

After

post-2564-0-61604100-1408651222_thumb.jp

Going back outside in a while and do some more.

• Like 1

Geno

Very nice work there.   :text-+1:

• Like 1

km3h

I just finished up outside. Had a pretty good day and accomplished a lot.

I finished the steering pedestal. I am going for the glossy look on this one.

post-2564-0-76265700-1408667537_thumb.jp post-2564-0-52724600-1408667554_thumb.jp

Don't know if you noticed but there are two Wheel Horse frames hanging in this picture. One is from my 417-A and will probably be next.

post-2564-0-63827400-1408667573_thumb.jp

Next is the top of the pedestal. Got primer but ran out of black paint. Finish it tomorrow.

post-2564-0-86034900-1408667644_thumb.jp post-2564-0-85572300-1408667677_thumb.jp

I may cheat a bit here and use the hood and rear fender from the 417-A, which I already have painted. I was able to get a chrome heat shield for the muffler on EBay for $25.00 and it should b e here tomorrow. Now all I need is a new set of tires. Need to wait a bit. Been going through money like rain water on this stuff lately.

• Like 1

Geno

Can't wait to see what the glossy look looks like when it's done.    :) 

• Like 1

Martin

Nick,

you are making some quick progress there. looking really nice.

im hanging on edge for the next update.......

• Like 1

km3h

I have a lot of the parts cleaned up and waiting to be painted. This won't be a perfect restore like your Martin but it will give me the gumption to finish several other projects I have started and put aside. I have a Case 444 stripped and the frame is primed. Been sitting in the corner for a year. Also have the 417=A all but finished. Just needs to be put back together.

By the way Martin I found the nylon bushings at Jack' Small Engines. The 5883 was $1.39 and the 5666 was $1.19. Ordered ten of each. They also had the big rubber grommet 106267 for $4.92 so I got two of those.

I am still picking little pieces of the wire brush out of my skin. Have to wear an apron the next time I use it.

• Like 1

km3h

Martin I was reading the newest posts this morning and saw a reference to your adding the flange bearing #6472 to your 416-8 restore. I decided to do the same thing. Called Jacks Small Engine and was able to add to my existing order and got two of them. One goes on this restore and the other for the 417-H. This is a great idea. It will keep the steering from wobbling and make it feel much better. You are the personification of an innovator.

Martin

Thanks Nick, to be honest I stole that idea from another thread on here. I think it was a few years ago that it was done.