boss4457

how can i tell if i have a limited slip

boss4457

i have a 1966 1056 6 speed wheel horse. Did this model come equip with the limited slip.Is there any way i can make it a locker.Would this tractor make a good puller?   

baerpath

Depends are you going to run 23/24 or 26 inch tires ? Motor work etc. ?  23 or 24 you'll be okay to start.  We busted 2 of them in one weekend running a 12hp on 26 inch Carlisles. Any I put together alway's have 8 pinion rears under them

dodgemike

Boss, I do not know much about

pulling other than it is fun to

watch. Automotive speaking, if an

axle is limited slip both tires will

rotate in the same direction when

off the ground and you rotate one

tire. Open rearends the tires turn

in opposite directions. I cant say

if this applies to transaxles. Maybe

someone will chime in.

I do have a fair amount of exper-

ience overpowering vehicles.

(drag racing) We call it chasing the

weak link. I would think pulling

is similar. If you double horse-

power and use tires that bite, the

driveline needs to be 4 times as

strong. Keep us informed of your

progress and upgrades.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Jparkes43

yes ive done this, put your horse up on some wood in the middle of the chassis or under the trans, then turn a wheel and see if the other one turns in the opposite direction, i found this out by accident when i was dropping out my gearbox.

james

bitten

Like Duane is saying the limited slip 10 pinion is not a good choice for pulling and the pullers use the 8 pinion. There is a lot of threads on this subject. 

boss4457

Is there any way i can make it a locker 

baerpath

You can't make it a locker, you can weld the pinions  so both tires are fighting each other and make it so it steers like crap That's what some do,  I've never done it but have seen it done really sucks for them

diamondred

Hmmm . I just bought a 10 pinion with hopes of sometime building a puller with it .... Not such a good idea eh?

baerpath

Depends on what type of pulling hp, tires, etc.. Start putting hp and traction together and oops

diamondred

Probably a stock class of 14 hp or less for the simple reason that I don't think the trans axle was designed for that type of abuse. However it is (IMO) designed and well build I might add, to do what it was meant to do. To last, and to be a garden tractor. Whether I'm pullin a plow or a sled.... I want it to move.  :auto-layrubber:  

baerpath

We popped two ten pinions in one weekend in a 12hp with 26 inch cut tires hooked to a 7000lb transfer sled.

Edited by baerpath

smoreau

if you want to lock up a 8 pinion diff, DO NOT WELD IT!!!!  Take the diff appart and remove all the pinions, install the pinions the same way when they are contacting each other and alternate the sides so you still have 4 pinions contacting the spider gears. on each axle. If you install them all the same way, you will have one wheel free spinning and only one driving the tractor. So install two the same way then alternate the next two the other direction and it will lock up the rear end and will not cost any more then a gasket and oil.

• Like 1

diamondred

We popped two ten pinions in one weekend in a 12hp with 26 inch cut tires hooked to a 7000lb transfer sled.

What actually broke?  Pinion carriers? ( for lack of better words)  ..... Body p/n 7200

Edited by diamondred