Sign in to follow this  
gottahavvitt

Springfield Tractor???????

gottahavvitt

I looked at a Springfield tractor today but don't know anything about them and an interweb search did no good either.

Anybody familiar with these at all.

It has a Kohler motor 10 hp and started right up after sitting for 2 years. He is asking $500.00 for it.

Any ideas?

CasualObserver

I assume since you said 10 HP Kohler, it's an orange and white springfield? The made lawnmowers starting in the late 50s and then in the sixties they had these little red and white vert shaft ones. I don't have any pictures of the orange and white ones, but my brother in law had one that he just sold this summer. Can't tell you much about them... info is pretty hard to find.

Here's the mowers

sprgfld03.jpg

Here's the first tractors they had.

sprgfld02.jpg

combatmp29r

Jason what motor was on the one Andrew sold? The red and white springfields had KVs on alot of them. 181s, and 161s. Maybe even 141s, but I have not definate proof of that. I know KV141s were produced, but wethere they were springfield powere plants or not i'm not sure.

perry

i had a 1965 springfield tractor with a 10hp kohler. they where bought out by toro in 1966. i seen a toro version that looked identical forsale in my area. i still have the mower deck and the fiberglass hood off it. and kelly has the kohler oil pan on one of his big block short frame wheel horse's :banghead: .

here is a pic of 1965-66.

a8246.jpg

and a 68 toro version

a11073.jpg

CasualObserver

Jason what motor was on the one Andrew sold?

I'm pretty sure it was a K-241... but without pictures... I can't confirm. It was identical to the one in Perry's picture, only he didn't have a fender pan on his. Pretty simple, basic machine.

combatmp29r

Ahhh ok thought the vert you posted a pic of was the one he sold :banghead: