dusted800

gt 14 rearend

dusted800

Hi: does the gt 14 share the rearend with any other tractor. thanx. wnk.

• Like 1

htopjimmy26

Well, I'm no authority but i'd wager [not much] that the only major diff is the length of the axle shafts although gt's did also have a 16in tire which was taller than other tractors of that same era. On second thought maybe the parking brake may be different too. One of the gt14 authorities would probably know for sure, I only have a c161 with a sundstrand, no gt to compare it with. :banghead:

rustbucket

the tire wasnt a 16 inch it was a 15 inch and i am no pro either just happen to own one of them lovely beasts of a GT-14

• Like 1

htopjimmy26

My bad I thought they had a different rim size than my c195s its a little :USA: but is the tire size by any chance 27x9.5-15? Just curios..... :banghead:

Brrly1

Jumpin' Jim mini I think you have it!! Yup I would even lay money on it! Yes the tire size is 27 x 9.50 x 15 Just a different lug pattern where the C195 have a 6 bolt pattern which is the same as the D series there are only 4 lugs on the GT14's. Burly :banghead::USA: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

• Like 1

Brrly1

Hello Dusted As far as the same rears I am not real sure I don't believe so. I know that you can change the the hyd. pump from a hydro gear to a piston to piston style pump. I do have a friend that might pop in later tonite as he knows a whole lot more than myself but they are kind of my favorite tractor. Burly

:horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

linen beige

I don't know if the GT-14 shares a tranny with any other 'Horses, but the rear wheels will interchange with the 953,1054, and 1054A.

• Like 1

Buzz

According to Toro, the GT-14 is the only Wheel Horse to use the Sunstrand model # 90-2062 transmission. Don't know if any of the other Sunstrands would interchange with it.

• Like 1

refracman

Does the GT14 share the same rearend? Well yes and no.

The cases are the same but with a different bolt patten were it attaches to the frame. In fact all hydrogear and piston to piston cases are the same but with different attaching bolt patterns.

The internal parts are interchangeable with all this style, the only difference is the axels and the imput shaft gear between the hydrogear and the piston to piston, and some have the limited slip spring.

So lets say you have a 875 and your pump or motor went bad and you had a C160 trans, you could take the pump motor assembly and install it by changing the imput shaft gear in the trans. Same with the differential by changeing the axels.

Or if you had a good GT14 trans and had a C160 with a bad trans and pump and had the skills you could drill and tap the correct mounting holes and install it and then install the C's hubs and you would have a wide trak C :banghead: .

And since all hydros have 1 1/8 axels the hubs can interchange. The only hold back here would be tire height. You could put 875 hubs on a D if you wanted

So yes and no.

• Like 1

M i k e

I know its an old thread but I'd like to add a few more concerns that came up when I swapped out the orig sunstrand unit on my GT14 with a more modern hydrogear C160 automatic unit.  First issue I ran into was the hydro lines from implement lever to the sunstrand were too small for the newer unit and had to be cut off and replaced with the larger diameter threads.  Not so bad, easy fix.  Another more pressing issue is that the GT's flywheel on the pump is for a keyed shaft and the newer pump shaft is geared on the end.  Not a big deal if you dont plan to run a rear tiller, as you will need the GT's  "double" flywheel to belt to the tiller.  Also I noticed that the knob on the speed control lever that interfaces into the control plate on the pump does not line up perfectly with the newer model, had to do a bit of forceful persuasion to get it in and as such, its a bit tighter than before.  On a side note, when I tore down the trans-axle case to inspect the bearings and replace the ground off parking pawl, one of the shoulder bearings that holds the bull gear and pinion housing was broken and had to be replaced.   They are Torrington model 348's if I recall, and are VERY expensive last I checked.  So I opted to replace the GT14's 10-pinion setup with the C160's more robust 8-pinion housing (cheaper bearings to replace) and just swapped out for the GT's longer axles.  Works great, and is more quiet than the 10 pinion IMHO.

• Like 2

Aldon

I believe @953 nut posted a thread on replacing the hydro with a charger unit and changing the bull gear. Perhaps he will chime in here and tie the threads and topics together.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

953 nut

Here is the thread @Aldon was referring to, hope it helps. I wasn't working on the bull gear or changing the entire transmission, just the drive unit to the original.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1