188fan

Is this a factory gas tank?

188fan

Is this what the bottom of an 854 gas tank is suppose to look like? The bottom is screwed on. Looks like a crappy design if that's a factory job. post-13632-140771340454_thumb.jpgpost-13632-140771341356_thumb.jpg

AMC RULES

Yep, that's a :wh: factory two piece tank. 

Looks like that one may be leaking?   :eusa-think:   

188fan

Yeah the guy before me tried to JB Weld it. Made a friggin mess of it. I guess if I can't find one I will have to redo this one.

AMC RULES

IIRC...the earlier ones('61-2) were a one piece tank design.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

Showing the pict here of the bottom of one of my '62 702's for reference. 

post-3498-0-28213200-1407715908_thumb.jp

188fan

Seems backwards to me. You would think the screw on bottom would be the older of the 2.

Not that I doubt what you're saying.

CasualObserver

Craig is correct. Don't have any idea why the switch (sometime during the 1962 model year), but the newer style was prone to leaking. There was a service bulletin fix, which involved cutting part of the original tank and installing a smaller insert tank inside. See the drawings in this bulletin.

gastankinfo-1.jpg

gastankinfo-2.jpg

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

188fan

Thanks man, that definitely looks like the way to go.

• Like 1

188fan

I don't have any experience with any of them. If you suggest red KOTE I'm good with that one.

slammer302

Red kote worked for me

188fan

Thanks for the info guys!

MalMac

I had heard that they went from one solid piece tank to the two piece is because the one piece was way more to produce. If that is fact or not I do not know.

• Like 1

slammer302

I had trouble with mine sense ive owned it i thought it was leaking around the gasket and it ended up having a crack in it so i cleaned it and used the red kote and i have not had any problems sense i didn't even put the gasket back in it

• Like 1

CasualObserver

I've used red kote too... But don't order it online, they stock it at O'Reilly Auto part stores for cheaper, you generally have to ask for it, they don't keep it on the shelf, it's in the back.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Racinbob

if I'm seeing that right you have more than just a leak. It looks like a chunk of the bottom plate is missing. It's possible that it isn't in the actual tank area but outside of it. I can't tell for sure. I fixed an 854 tank with a new gasket, Permetex and several coats of tank sealer inside. I don't really like it but I'm thinking that the service bulletin thing might be your best bet but I would try to find a new bottom if that missing chunk is in the tank area.

Edited by Racinbob

buckrancher

see half way down thread

brian

specialwheelhorse

If you have a problem finding RC or whatever try a motorcycle shop

They say they always have good stuff and I'm told a kit will do a couple tanks

Jim

Hodge71

You cant go wrong with Por 15 either. I used it on my 1973 18 Auto gas tank which was more like a sieve than a fuel holding vessel. All it did was flter the rust chunks out of the fuel as it leaked from everywhere

Racinbob

Nice job on that tank Brian. From looking at that, now I'm thinking that the tank in question here isn't missing a chunk and can be saved.

188fan

All welded up and no leaks............ :banana-rainbow:

SousaKerry

More then likely the switch from a single piece tank to two was a manufacturing problem.  Basically it is darn hard and expensive to get the sand mold out of the inside of the aluminum casting.  And once you do are you truly getting all of it?  Hence why engine blocks have huge freeze pugs to get the sand out.  With a two piece casting it would be much cheaper to get the sand out and the casting cleaned up.  Plus with a two piece you could die cast it as well.