Sign in to follow this  
jb4249

Question about RJ 58 air cleaner

jb4249

I am doing a restore on an RJ 58. When I bought it, it had a Clinton engine, not the right one, on it. I have a Kohler K90 that I am going to put on it but I don't have an air cleaner. Most of the pictures I see on this model WH has what looks like an updraft air cleaner on them. Is this the right AC? I have seen a few pictures of models with a side draft AC on them, but I can't fit on the engine because of the hood brace. So any input here would be helpful. Even any for sale?

Thanks, Ted

Jake Kuhn

The earlier rj58's had the k90's with the oil bath air cleaner...then later on most of them had the paper filter type and k91's.

jb4249

I found my Air Cleaner and mounted it. Ignore the fuel line, it is just temporary until I get the tank back on.  I need to order a set of points and the proper spark plug and get the K90 started.

Thanks, Ted

post-4029-0-38445600-1410106425_thumb.jp

post-4029-0-49810100-1410106443_thumb.jp

post-4029-0-74430800-1410106461_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Looks like you've got it.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• john7
      By john7
      So I started to do just a little touch up painting on my RMR-32 deck to get ready for mowing season and it just snowballed from there.

I messed up my touch up by wet sanding it down to early, so that led to a "well I'll just take it completely apart and repaint everything". This is where the fun begins. Taking it apart revealed multiple issues:

1) Idler pulley bronze bearing is shot.
      2) All 4 spindle bearings are shot.
      3) Both cross shaft bearings are shot.
      4) Cross shaft is bent.

Here are these issues and the help that I need in greater detail:

1) The Idler Pulley Bronze Bearing:
      I mic'd it at 5/8" x 7/8" x 1". This is based on the OD and the length of the Idler bolt (part #1049), and the OD of the exposed portion of the bronze bearing in the idler pulley. Idler pulley (part #1602).

2 Questions: 
                1) What is the actual size for the bronze bearing? 
                2) Can this bearing even be replaced? It is in a peculiar place and appears to be held in 2 spots, one spot on either side of the pulley. I can't see inside until I cut the bearing out so it's hard to tell whether or not the is a tube of sort that makes contact with the bearing throughout the pulley, like the axle tube bearings. And it seams like this would, or could be a royal pain to set the new bearing if it only has two points of contact. 

2) 4 Spindle Bearings:
      Wheel Horse part #1515. I ordered the Toro replacement. Part # 230-045.
      Well, I order NICE 1630 DCTNTG18's (3/4" IDx 1-5/8"OD x 1/2"W. The Toro replacement is a sealed bearing on both sides, so that's what I got. However, the originals that were in the deck were metal shielded on both sides. This got me thinking. The idea of the shielded bearing is to allow for grease to make it's way from my grease gun, through the zerk, onto the gears, through the bearings, and then eventually on the ground.

My Question:
      Is it a bad idea to have gotten the sealed bearings for the spindles?  Or will the sealed be fine fore weekly operation?

3) The Cross Shaft Bearings Are Shot:
      I was planning on replacing these with the same sealed NICE bearings. The question is the same as the spindle bearings. The originals were also shielded, so is it okay to replace with the sealed bearings?

4) Bent Cross Shaft (Part #3139):
      The bend is extremely miniscule; hardly noticeable at operating speed. I knew this years ago but ignored it. I've now figured out that this is why the cross shaft bearings are bad. Also, since the bearings are harder than the steel cross shaft, the bearings wallard out the cross shaft and they no longer seat properly on the cross shaft. Well, it's ground it down so much that the can't seat at all. Not to mention it's wearing the gears out too.

My Questions:
      Is there someone here that has a good one that I can purchase? Or can anyone make one up for me? I've emailed Lowell Scholljegerdes but haven't heard back. He's made several parts for me over the years.

Any help is appreciated.

• Kastlcj
      By Kastlcj
      Hello to all, I see there is a large group of knowledgeable wheel horsers to assist new members.
      I came across a RJ 58 some yrs. back. It made for a nice yard decoration as it is not operational.
      I decided it would be fun to try and get it running again. The unit came with a cutting deck and no carb or air cleaner. The overall condition of the tractor is good. The transmission is functioning.
      What are the chances of finding Clinton 1200 A carb, air cleaner and other engine parts?
      On a scale of one to five with five being the most difficult, how hard is it to work on the transmission?
      Looking forward to first refurbishing project.