tech270154

converting a chipper-shreader TROYBUILT CS4210 on a pto

bmsgaffer

Looks good!

You are planning on attaching it to the tractor, right?... If you get a clog, i think that chipper might try to become airborn towards your tractor... or even away from (with the reverse twist)... I would just hate to see something seriously damaged if the chipper tries to stop and the engine doesnt.

• Like 3

953 nut
:text-goodpost:Too bad you don't have a PTO clutch on that 875, not an OSHA approved chipper but being able to disengage it would be a good thing. I agree that some ridged connection to the :wh: is a must have, otherwise the torque and vibration from operation will certainly knock the belt out of alignment and turn it into a UFO ( unfriendly flying object). :text-bravo:
  • Like 1

ronhatch

I would get rid of the bad engine completely and support the impeller properly with a new shaft and a couple of flange or pillow style bearings and drive it with a vee belt off the engine via a clutch. A shear pin in the new impeller shaft and driven pulley would be a must have. As stated before, the unit needs to be mounted solidly to the tractor frame.
 I'm only familiar with farm tractor PTO's. I think they're only either 550 or 1000 RPM. What is the rpm of the D and is it fast enough to spin a chipper/chopper?

tech270154

Looks good!

You are planning on attaching it to the tractor, right?... If you get a clog, i think that chipper might try to become airborn towards your tractor... or even away from (with the reverse twist)... I would just hate to see something seriously damaged if the chipper tries to stop and the engine doesnt.

thanks for your comments

tech270154
:text-goodpost:

Too bad you don't have a PTO clutch on that 875, not an OSHA approved chipper but being able to disengage it would be a good thing. I agree that some ridged connection to the 

:wh:

is a must have, otherwise the torque and vibration from operation will certainly knock the belt out of alignment and turn it into a UFO ( unfriendly flying object). 

:text-bravo:

Too bad you don't have a PTO clutch on that 875, not an OSHA approved chipper but being able to disengage it would be a good thing. I agree that some ridged connection to the 

is a must have, otherwise the torque and vibration from operation will certainly knock the belt out of alignment and turn it into a UFO ( unfriendly flying object). 

hi
thanks for the comment
no,i do have a D180 WHELL HORSE i have a pto in front and back ,i will post my pictures soon .i use  turnbuckle for adjustment , there is also bolts for  holding both  together

hi.

tech270154

Easy to do, but the real question is - would the knives and shreader be able to handle that much torque? They do make chippers that run from tractor PTO's but their internal components are much thicker, to withstand the amount of hp/tque. that the tractor will be delivering.

Rob

hi ROB 
what is very important  is to control the rpm of the shreader  ,i did calculate , same as if it  would be  the engine max rpm   3600 rpm at full

I would get rid of the bad engine completely and support the impeller properly with a new shaft and a couple of flange or pillow style bearings and drive it with a vee belt off the engine via a clutch. A shear pin in the new impeller shaft and driven pulley would be a must have. As stated before, the unit needs to be mounted solidly to the tractor frame.
 I'm only familiar with farm tractor PTO's. I think they're only either 550 or 1000 RPM. What is the rpm of the D and is it fast enough to spin a chipper/chopper?

hi  RONHATCH  basekly

tech270154

This project finally came to the top of my list when I saw the amount of blackberry vines I need to dispose of this fall.

I stripped the non running engine down including valve removal.  I left the piston in.
Added a Vee pulley to the flywheel.    Some wheel chocks and spacers to tighten the belt. 
I know the chipper is turning in reverse....I have put a reverse twist in the belt, and the initial test seems OK. 
Some concerns are the small size of the flywheel key. I have replaced the aluminum shear key with a steel key.
The radial loading on the pulley end may be a problem....time will tell.  Keep in mind this chipper is for vines, weeds, and leaves.  No wood.

IMG_4893.thumb.JPG.e0d6555002cd91f1fb057IMG_4895.thumb.JPG.aff1625623e9e048b6d88IMG_4897.thumb.JPG.255eccc731c3d456f0f57IMG_4896.thumb.JPG.9bb2f65f335b16ec6afd5

very job , similar to what i was building,  make shure you control your maximum rpm ,that should be aprox 3600

Easy to do, but the real question is - would the knives and shreader be able to handle that much torque? They do make chippers that run from tractor PTO's but their internal components are much thicker, to withstand the amount of hp/tque. that the tractor will be delivering.

Rob

hi ROB 
what is very important  is to control the rpm of the shreader  ,i did calculate , same as if it  would be  the engine max rpm   3600 rpm at full

hi  RONHATCH  basekly

hi  RONHATCH  basicaly

tech270154
  • IMG_1436.thumb.JPG.1f6c1e69184ef3d763a5dIMG_1429.thumb.JPG.1fdd2ce6ba6a7fae08b67IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.34e391cfa881c8d870504Easy to do, but the real question is - would the knives and shreader be able to handle that much torque? They do make chippers that run from tractor PTO's but their internal components are much thicker, to withstand the amount of hp/tque. that the tractor will be delivering.

Rob

hi ROB 

hi  RONHATCH  basekly

This project finally came to the top of my list when I saw the amount of blackberry vines I need to dispose of this fall.

I stripped the non running engine down including valve removal.  I left the piston in.
Added a Vee pulley to the flywheel.    Some wheel chocks and spacers to tighten the belt. 
I know the chipper is turning in reverse....I have put a reverse twist in the belt, and the initial test seems OK. 
Some concerns are the small size of the flywheel key. I have replaced the aluminum shear key with a steel key.
The radial loading on the pulley end may be a problem....time will tell.  Keep in mind this chipper is for vines, weeds, and leaves.  No wood.

IMG_4893.thumb.JPG.e0d6555002cd91f1fb057IMG_4895.thumb.JPG.aff1625623e9e048b6d88IMG_4897.thumb.JPG.255eccc731c3d456f0f57IMG_4896.thumb.JPG.9bb2f65f335b16ec6afd5

very job , similar to what i was building,  make shure you control your maximum rpm ,that should be aprox 3600

Rob

hi ROB 

I'm only familiar with farm tractor PTO's. I think they're only either 550 or 1000 RPM. What is the rpm of the D and is it fast enough to spin a chipper/c

hi  RONHATCH  
basicaly you can modify any  implements by by changing  the diameter of your pulley but it is tricky . first i want to avoid using to much rpm and torque on my old D180   ,so i give around  2000 rpm because as you know , it is not new model , also second   try to give an rpm of 3600 at the chipper but with my calculation i do rev. it more at  4000 rpm ,my  empty crankcase is fill above the crankshaft for cooling ,it has been trouble free, what i don.t like is when you need the chipper for a bit of time ,it does take quite of time to set it up together .

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

MVI_1431.AVI

Edited by tech270154
pictures
  • Like 3

Pullstart

but now there's a mess on the floor!  :) cool to see a little ingenuity save the day!

• Like 1

Forest Road

A+++ for creativity!!! Here's one I made a few years ago. Found it via dumb luck. Still works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Forest Road

Oops forgot the link . Maybe not Tapatalk doesn't show the link. Website does. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarfeater

did this one last year or so. tilted the chipper 10 degrees and with the idler prevents belt whip that will destroy a belt in a few minutes. ive chopped 3" branches with it.

post-10918-0-47865900-1382028250.jpg

• Like 3

ronhatch

I like it! Nice set up Swarfeater and you have it turning the right way! :)

Edited by ronhatch

tech270154

I like it! Nice set up Swarfeater and you have it turning the right way! :)

thanks RON ,the rotation was not a problem,i would of use the rear pto  . lol