Nick P.

Replacing 2 belts RM-364 deck

Nick P.

Seeking advice on how to replace twin belts on a 1965 twin blade 36" deck. Does the pulley shaft need to disconnect to remove/ replace the v belts?

Thanks, Nick

AMC RULES

squonk

Get lots of rags!! :)  :) Yes you have to un - bolt the cross shaft bearing stands to slip the belts around the right gear and bearing stand

Edited by squonk

Nick P.

I have a bunch of old T Shirts that can be donated to the operation .

Thanks Pardner

SousaKerry

I would suggest studying up on your french.  You will use lots of it during the job when you realize that you missed one little part after the 4th time putting it together.   Wheel horse designed a lot of wonderful things, those decks were not one of them.

• Like 1

slammer302

Don't forget to make sure the blades are timed correctly while you have it apart

• Like 1

Nick P.

Okay now I am rethinking --the reason I want to replace the belts is the blade and shaft rotation slows or stops when I am cutting tall 3"-4" grass.

At full throttle I stop and raise the deck lever out of the tall grass to regain shaft spin momentum R. P. M. 's then resume at slow crawl.

Maybe I check the other drive belts first before messing with the twin belts...?

slammer302

The belts may just need adjusted

Nick P.

Thanks for the idea. Adjusting belts on the deck: do you slide the engine forward or is there some other method?

Racinbob

The rod ends on the assembly hanger are threaded. Adjust them to the correct tension and lock in place with the jam nuts. The 'ball' joints at the opposite end on the cross rod get worn and sloppy, especially the left side.

Racinbob

Sorry, double post. :eusa-doh:

Edited by Racinbob

Nick P.

Perfect description, I see it now in the parts diagram. That bugger looks like it is hard to get access to - I will give it a try and hope that I can get access without needing to disconnect the deck unit.

Texas Todd

Can someone tell me if this deck, the RM-364 will fit work on a 856? It looks like the 856 came with RM-366 or 367.

Thanks!

evanloock

Yes it will work.

Texas Todd

Awesome. Thank you!

stevasaurus

@Texas Todd  RM-364 = rear mower 36" 1964.   RM-367 = rear mower 36" 1967  They also fit on the 1962s...502, 552, 702...1963s...1964s  :)

Texas Todd
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

@Texas Todd  RM-364 = rear mower 36" 1964.   RM-367 = rear mower 36" 1967  They also fit on the 1962s...502, 552, 702...1963s...1964s  :)

Roger that. I just gotta go get it! Thanks!

mikeeyre74
On 8/8/2014 at 9:40 AM, Racinbob said:

The rod ends on the assembly hanger are threaded. Adjust them to the correct tension and lock in place with the jam nuts. The 'ball' joints at the opposite end on the cross rod get worn and sloppy, especially the left side.

Is there a repair for this? Came across this'd thread while researching on my two that I just acquired... gonna get one ready for my 753 for next year. The ball and socket arrangement seems weird? Can it be repaired,or do you just need to find better stuff to start with? 

Racinbob

That's definitely a weak spot on these decks. You can peen them a little to snug them up but it won't last long. There's a couple better fixes I've tossed around but I no longer have one of those decks to play with. I also mentioned it to Lowell a couple years ago at the big show since he comes up with a lot of nice parts that are better than original. :)