James H

Repairing broken piston and con rod on K181S

Molon_Labe

Why is it scrap, could it not be that it has been turned already and I need an oversized con rod? Slammer, do you have one?

James just measure the journal and see what you have to work with then you can decide where to go from there.

James H

I don't know how I missed this but I did. The bottom of the cylinder has a couple of chunks missing from it presumably due to the impact of the con rod. How bad is that?

Molon_Labe

I can't see clearly how much cylinder wall is missing but from what I do, personally, I would use a Dremel tool and chamfer around the broken area, as it appears to be quite small. From the looks of it the piston skirt support should be minimally compromised.

WH nut

Without measurements you are just guessing. Stop and wait until you get it all measured out. The Cylinder bore looks useable, but then again it need to be measured.

Fordiesel69

I saw that chunk in your video and it should not be a problem if you dremel it nice and smooth.  But you will still need to measure the bore before going any further.

James H

I've just measured all around the crank at regular intervals, I have about 30 measurements, the smallest is 1.173 inch and the largest 1.178 inch, the average being 1.175. The extremities may just be my awkward handling of the micrometer but I did my best to get accurate measurements. Do these measurements give an indication of the state of the crank, is it ok to proceed? If so is it a standard size?

Thanks

James

WH nut

Here are your specs.

New=1.1860/1.1855

Yours=1.172

-----------

Difference  0.013

You are past .010 undersize. You will need a new crank of go .020 oversize on the rod.

http://yetmans.mb.ca/kohler/page4_5/page4_5.html

SousaKerry

Two other options other then a new crank.  Spray weld, is a process of adding more metal to the crank and then turning it back to standard size.  Have the crank bushed to the proper size.  Both of these options can only be done at machine shop that specializes in this type of work.  And both options can be expensive so it is best to get a quote before the work is performed. 

There is also a group of Wheel Horse fans across the channel in the UK who may be able to help you find a replacement crank and avoid shipping across the ocean.