mr_speegs

K181S Ignition Coil

mr_speegs

I just (almost) finished a rebuild of a K181S on my 876 Wheel-A-Matic. Everything was pretty much going to plan until I realized that I had no spark. My ignition coil seems to be heating up (I assume it's working), but my plug won't spark. My plug was good before the rebuild, but the plug wire was always loose where it went into the coil. Now the wire comes completely out of the coil housing. I cleaned off the end of the wire and the socket inside the coil as much as I could, but still no spark. 

Is there a way to repair this or do I need a whole new coil/wire set?

post-11567-0-40459500-1407203279_thumb.j

slammer302

You can take ur old plug wire to a auto parts store and get a new one

KC9KAS

Assuming the brass end is still on the wire, you can slide the rubber boot up and squeeze the brass connector some so it fits snug on the post in the top of the coil.

If the wire comes out of the coil and there is no brass connector, the connector is still on the post in the coil and you will need to get it replaced/repaired.

mr_speegs

All I have is a bare wire end. Any ideas how to get the brass cap out of the coil?

stevasaurus

Maybe try to dig it out with a small screwdriver and a needle nose pliers.  Don't worry about messing it up...go get a new coil wire.  If you have a regular car mechanic, he might make you a new one for nothing.  :)

km3h

You can use an old crochet needle with a hook on the end to fish it out.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• BrianKoch
      By BrianKoch
      Hello gentleman, 

Problem: will not crank on its own, will crank with jump box—but still not fire

Recent things I did prior to this issue: cleaned fuel filter, replaced battery cables, replaced cable from ignition to starter

I have my test light out and am probing around. 

There is no power at ignition/magneto wire or the ignition/starter wire

There is power everywhere else

• Jeff-C175
      By Jeff-C175
      Detailed wiring from the Demystification Guide #492-4509
      4 pages 1.4MB Color
      p7-67 to p7-70

Onan powered

1989 416-8 model 31-16O801
    • trident
      By trident
      Need some help. My 800 Special has an electric PTO. It is not working. Checked Ohms - nothing. My questions are 1) how does the PTO come off and 2) can they be rebuilt? I took the bolt out that I thought holds it on but no luck. Must be something more?
    • Kenneth R Cluley
      By Kenneth R Cluley
      Got my parts from Lincoln, governor gear and shaft. So, I started assembly today. Took me three tries to get that two-piece crank in, thankfully it was within spec when done so I didn't have to take it back apart to shim!  Got the crank in, lapped valves and ground to spec. I found this old aluminum fixture from a hospital bed oxygen filter mount and squared it up on belt sander that worked really well on valve stem. Progress at last, will finish up soon. Hope it runs well when done! Going to put it on my 653.

• Kenneth R Cluley
      By Kenneth R Cluley
      Okay engine Guru's, newbie needs some help! Rebuilding older 8 horse and I am new to small engines. I have rebuilt numerous car/truck engines but never a kohler k. I have researched all available videos and really appreciate the small block tutorial by Prondzy. I am at reassembly stage, so my question is, related to timing marks. I have camshaft with centrifical advance which has a groove or line on spacer that engages pawls. does this groove line up with pointed part of casting on inner rim of gear? Also, there is a groove on opposite side of camshaft gear that I believe should align with pointed mark on casting of crankshaft. See attached pictures. Thanks for any help. Just want to be sure!