mr_speegs

To buy or not to buy? An RJ(?) dilemma...

mr_speegs

So I found this chassis on CL and it is missing a few notable items, namely an engine, appropriate steering wheel, etc. The seller is not a WH guy and can't identify the exact model, but my untrained eyes of pre-1964 tractors tells me this is probably an RJ, maybe a later 551. So my query is twofold:

1. What model is this tractor?

and moreover...

2. Will I be able to scrounge enough parts to restore this thing or should I hold out until I find a complete tractor?

Thanks!

post-11567-0-28196500-1407155510.jpg

Edited by CasualObserver
changed post tag, not RJ

Racinbob

It looks like a 61 Suburban. It's a bit hard to tell in the picture but it looks like it would be a start. It depends on the price and how much of a project you are wanting to tackle. Also ask yourself what you can do such as stuff like repairing the hood, etc. Are the tires salvageable, does the transmission seem OK, etc?

Edited by Racinbob

squonk

Your best bet if you buy it is to come to the big show next year with a list. Not a RJ for sure looking at the front axle.

mr_speegs

Okay, good to know. 

Here's some other pics.

I have yet to hear back from the seller as to whether or not the transmission feels seized or not (or even still shifts).

He's asking $250 OBO, which seems a bit higher than I thought it should sell for.

post-11567-0-42474400-1407158527.jpg

post-11567-0-27842700-1407158534.jpg

post-11567-0-83981900-1407158688.jpg

Edited by mr_speegs

neil

Definitely not an RJ , looks like a suburban, It looks like a 551 hood but it has the 3 piece transmission ????? Hmm

CasualObserver

Most likely started life as a 401.  Way overpriced at $250.

61 hood and decals (dash plug and holes for push/pull throttle choke cables)

61 cast iron clutch pedal

three piece trans means 401 not 551 which used two piece unidrive.

Edited by CasualObserver
added identifiers

CasualObserver

I should add... that this tractor looks totally restorable.  Essentially it's missing is the K-91 engine, a drive belt, a drive belt guard and choke/throttle cables.  All of which are easily found for a price. Even if the trans is toast, it can be rebuilt.  Most parts are available... it just comes down to price to obtain them.

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: Sounds spot on to me. I also agree that it's way over priced.

Jake Kuhn

Jason is right on it being a 401. It looks like a start to a restoration, but will take you a lot of searching to find all your parts, and they can add up to quite a bit of money as its missing all the hard to find parts. It could definitely be restored, thats how a lot of mine have started...but 250 is way to much for it. I don't see it worth any more than 150.

Brrly1

Start at $50, I wouldn't go much higher than a$100. The more I think about it I don't even know if it's worth a $100

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Easy enough to bring back to life...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

just depends on how bad you want to play.

Agreed...$100 is your maximum bid...

leave your contact info, then walk away.   :greetings-wavingyellow:  

Ken B

Anything can be restored... I'd wait to find something without a butchered hood and a more complete tractor..

mr_speegs

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm walking away from this one. I don't think someone asking $250 can be talked down to $100 or less. This is going to be too ambitious of a restoration for me until i gain some more chops.

VinsRJ

Anything can be restored... I'd wait to find something without a butchered hood and a more complete tractor..

First sensible thing said.

Everything can be restored... the difference is a hard resto vs an easy resto.... or should I say low cost resto vs expensive resto...

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

I bought and own a suburban 401 that the guy wanted $250 for. I paid $100. Once he heard all the numbers I was throwing out for parts he said $100 sounds fair. Mine came with trailer hitch and sleeve hitch also...... But otherwise missing everything like the one you are looking at. :)

Geno

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm walking away from this one. I don't think someone asking $250 can be talked down to $100 or less. This is going to be too ambitious of a restoration for me until i gain some more chops.

Always make an offer, you may be suprised.  The ones I get the cheapest are the ones I don't want, or here lately I'm running out of room so l them what I will give and that's it.  

I went to pick up 3 sets of wheel weights from a guy 25 mins down the road last week.  He had a Radier 12, original paint and all decals looked great, no surface rust at all, original deck with no surface rust at all, lug tires, an almost perfect 3 piece seat, posi traction, battery, great tractor. Started right up, mowed with it, smooth as new.  Bottom line, he wanted it gone, I am running out of room and didn't want it.  Offered 250 for it and he ran and put it on the trailer.

speedyleedy

So can i ask why the frame is so much longer then the hood ? :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Geno

Very nice observation, looks like we all missed that one.   :)

857 horse

im guessing the frame length is ok....the steering shaft is on the wrong hole in the hood...but the hood is cut......and like most said,,,,everything can be fixed with $$$$,,,but i do like the rear tires...im giving them a cool factor of about 8.

cruisnblue48

Looks like the hood was cut and raised to put a larger engine in it. The hood being raised would also move backwards sliding up the steering shaft. I paid $75 for a 551 roller about three years ago... no engine or hood. Anything can be rebuilt, just depends how much time and money you have or want to put into it. They don't have to be restored to original condition when they look that bad. I am tearing mine down now to make it a hot rod tractor. That condition with a cut hood, not worth more than $100 as it sits.

Edited by cruisnblue48