Zeus55

1961 WH701 restoration

Zeus55

Ok, I went to an old Toro dealer in Montreal and he had lots of old parts.

I found a good one, it's not new but it's in great condition.

Time to close the trany and move to the next step!

Thanks for your help guys !

Edited by Zeus55
  • Like 1

Zeus55

Good thing done. The engine and trany have been rebuilt and it's now time to attack this pile of junk :thumbs2:

For the transmission I'm waiting for the boot and knob I've ordered.

I've started etching the tractor base and it will take a little more work. I also will have to get new tires for this horse.

post-13600-0-48912000-1408047610.jpg

post-13600-0-58859300-1408047611.jpg

post-13600-0-96693600-1408047612_thumb.j

• Like 1

Racinbob

Looking great! You're making some fast progress. I'm anxious to see the rest of it going together.

Zeus55

Yes... I never though I would've done that much in two and a half weeks. I believe I've been lucky to get parts that fast.

But it may change because the sheet metal needs more time and I think I will have some problem finding the streering assemply. The bevel gear is pretty well damaged.

Do you guys know if another model assembly would fit ? There are some on E-Bay but not sure it will fit.

Zeus55

Wow... lots of paint coats on this horse :scared-eek:

This little guy was red, than grey, then dark red, then kind of silver and back to red.

I will need a lot of stripper (no... not the one who takes her cloths off :laughing-rolling: ) but the one that melts paints.

I will put some pictures of the stripping :grin:

Edited by Zeus55

Zeus55

Here is the naked horse... a couple of hours or brushing and it will be ready for paint.

The other one is the bevel pinion streering gear. There is a lot of wear on it and I will try to look for another one... somewhere!

post-13600-0-35502200-1408152963.jpg

post-13600-0-13067600-1408152978.jpg

• Like 1

Zeus55

Looking a little better :grin: the picture is a little bright because it is the same red as the engine... My wife want the next one for her and she want it PINK :crying-green:

Got my carb kit and rebuilt it. Now it's time to get some new rubbers. A little hard to find but found what I nead at M.E. Miller in Ontario; 2 x 4.80-4.00-8 3-Rib for the front, and 2 x 6-12 Carlisle Tru Power for the back.

post-13600-0-95451900-1408577934_thumb.j

post-13600-0-34436600-1408577936.jpg

Edited by Zeus55

Zeus55

I always liked those tractor metal seats, they have a vintage look and have an artistic side... I decided to put a little more work on it.

Painted the base in mat black, under the seat in red and the seat in white with a little artistic touch :razz:

post-13600-0-78081100-1408738825.jpg

post-13600-0-75019900-1408738826.jpg

• Like 2

Zeus55

:laughing-rolling:  I was looking at other 701 pictures and something was different... I just found out that the fenders and seat were mounted backword on the one I've bought :laughing-rolling:

Edited by Zeus55

bowtieguy

Hey....you can do better than that~~but Massy Harris did make a good looking seat~~ :scratchead:

Zeus55

Ok... Here is where I'm at.

The horse is starting to look like something but I have a problem with the fenders. It seems that the back is not wide enough. Maybe the tires are to big but I have 6-12 like the previous ones. I tried to put the wheel as far as possible on the shafts and it's not enough.

If I compare with the initial picture, I think the tires are too high, but there is enough space between the fenders and the tires... any advice or I might modify the fender box.

post-13600-0-99198400-1409170300.jpg

post-13600-0-02261200-1409170302.jpg

post-13600-0-08765000-1409170303_thumb.j

post-13600-0-04464500-1409170304_thumb.j

CasualObserver

:laughing-rolling:  I was looking at other 701 pictures and something was different... I just found out that the fenders and seat were mounted backword on the one I've bought :laughing-rolling:

That's pretty common. The 701 fenders really stuck out at the back and many were flipped around so people didn't hit them when walking by.  The 1962 fenders were more rounded off to eliminate this problem.

Also... your rear wheels are on the wrong sides.  Valve stems inside so they don't get knocked off. Should fix your width problem too.

• Like 2

Zeus55

Also... your rear wheels are on the wrong sides.  Valve stems inside so they don't get knocked off. Should fix your width problem too.

Good to know :handgestures-thumbupright:  I'll fix that tomorrow!... Thanks!!!

It really show that this is my first one :laughing-rolling:

speedyleedy

Look's great keep up the good work  ! :bow-blue:

Zeus55

IT'S ALIVE !!!

Yes I've started the horse today and it started like a brand new one :handgestures-thumbupright:

Here is where I'm at with thi project... a little bodywork have to be done on the hood, a little finishing and it will be ready :auto-biker:

1_zps2c4ed8ef.jpg

2_zps91bfb229.jpg

4_zps0e1d3f51.jpg

3_zpsc92f6d6f.jpg

First startup video...

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Looks and sounds really good. :handgestures-thumbsup: 

AMC RULES

:scared-eek:    OUCH!     :scared-eek:  

No more trying to shift on the fly...OK?  

km3h

That thing is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Catmanii

Great job and a very fine looking little tractor.  :)

Zeus55

:scared-eek:    OUCH!     :scared-eek:  

No more trying to shift on the fly...OK?  

:handgestures-thumbupright:  yes I know... Won't do it anymore... promised :)

Edited by Zeus55

Racinbob

"While in motion do not shift gears without depressing clutch pedal." Copied right out of the 701 owners manual. I have to chuckle at that statement. Doesn't say anything about coming to a complete stop. Obviously they didn't realize the damage that could be done shifting while moving. As a little kid in the early 60's I often times 'speed shifted' my Dad's tractors. I do remember either the Suburban 400 or the 704 (maybe both) starting to slip out of 3rd gear.

You're doing a great job on your restoration Zeus. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Zeus55

Remembered the good old days when we were powershifting our muscle cars  :music-rockout:  ...but not on this little guy :angry-nono: and it's logical, there is no clutch in there... if you're moving, there is movement in the box.

Catmanii

How is the hood coming along. Excited to see finished tactor. Hope all is going well and waiting for the finished pictures.  :happy-bouncygreen:   :flags-texas:

Terry M

That engine does sound nice :handgestures-thumbupright:   can't wait to see the whole tractor done :) .Nice Job!