Zeus55

1961 WH701 restoration

Zeus55

Ok... Like mentioned in my "New Guy" thread, I'm opening this new thread for my first restoration of a 701.

First thing I wanted to make sure is the engine condition so I removed it and made all measures of the most important specifications, and I was happy to see that it did'nt have much wear and all measures met specs, so I don't need to rebuild the engine. Just a good cleanup and paint job! :grin:

Here is the beast...

post-13600-0-11583000-1406730473.jpg

post-13600-0-96558100-1406730550.jpg

Edited by Zeus55

Zeus55

When taking down covers and head to measure wear, I've took the cross shaft out of it's place and saw that there was a tab attached to it.

I've look through internet to see if I could find a clear view of the governor with the cross shaft but have'nt found any so I decided to remove the welch plug to see the governer and the cross shaft position.

I tried to upload the video but it was to big so I've put it on YouTube and here is the link for it: http://youtu.be/nMT7ne2Uu98

So now that the engine is ready to close I will get the gasket kit and go ahead.

I will post other pictures and videos...

Edited by Zeus55
  • Like 1

Firpo701

Excellent choice of models to restore! Haha! Of course I'm a little bias to the 701...mine has been in the family as long as I have, 43 years. That's a good looking tractor! Welcome to the Wheel Horse addiction! Looking forward to watching the progress on your restoration! :-)

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup:  Great way to document your :wh: restoration using the Youtube vids.   :popcorn:  

Zeus55

This is the fun part...  disassemble the tractor :tools-wrench:

Taking all the parts off and look at them separatly and see witch one need more love than the others. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Most parts looks OK... engine and transmission don't need complete rebuild :handgestures-thumbup:

Sheet metal needs more attention and I will work the parts from the ground up. Now it's time to go for a ride... :auto-biker:

post-13600-0-24610000-1406834431_thumb.j

post-13600-0-36489600-1406834432.jpg

post-13600-0-30990800-1406834433.jpg

post-13600-0-23940700-1406834434.jpg

Edited by Zeus55

Firpo701

That looks all too familiar! :-P

Zeus55

Oups... when I removed the transmission plug, there been a lot of water coming out of it.

Probably will have to rebuild it!

Sparky

Oups... when I removed the transmission plug, there been a lot of water coming out of it.

Probably will have to rebuild it!

Yep...you definitely will want to split the tranny and see how it looks in there.

Mike......

Firpo701

That seems to be a common problem on the front engine round hoods. If they sit out in the weather, it seems that the dash tower funnels the rain directly to the shifter. And...if you have a bad boot, you end up with an axle full of water. My original trans got to the point of popping spider gears left and right in the late 80's. Being that this was before the internet, I had a hard time locating another axle. The one I found had been laying on a hillside in the weeds for who knows how long, and, it was full of water. I drained it and changed the gear oil and worked it. It again gathered water a few years later, so I changed it again. I have since worked it half to death with no problems. Just telling you my experience...I probably would split the case and check for any pitting of the gears, and, I would definitely put a new shifter boot on it. A friend of mine has had the same problem with his 753.

Zeus55

Yes there is no shifter boot at all and water must have gone throug from there.

I remember my grand-father use to fill up that boot with grease just to make sure water would not get in the transmission. Was messy but effective!

• Like 1

Zeus55

Almost done with the engine, I will put some pictures when done.

For the transmission, I'm happy to see that there is no rust or damage to the gears, the bearings and needle bearings are in great shape.

A good overall cleanup and lubrication should bring this baby to life again. The seals are not leaking but I think I will change them anyway.

post-13600-0-03040400-1407553083.jpg

post-13600-0-38026100-1407553084.jpg

post-13600-0-28870700-1407553085.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You took the trans apart upside down...that is OK, but when you put it back together, build the trans in the shallow side and close by placing the deep side on last.  :)  Do you have the manual for the trans??  Your trans #5007 is in section II.

492-4004.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Edited by stevasaurus

Zeus55

You took the trans apart upside down...that is OK, but when you put it back together, build the trans in the shallow side and close by placing the deep side on last.  :)  Do you have the manual for the trans??  Your trans #5007 is in section II.

492-4004.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Yes I have the manual. :thumbs:

Thanks for the "upside down" comment, it's my first on and I had 50% of chances to do it right :eusa-doh:  and I misted it... but it's ok, I'll put the cover back on and turn it over.

I'll put pictures on my next post... The engine is now done and painted. Next step will be to start it :dance: .

Edited by Zeus55

stevasaurus

Do not put the cover back on and turn it over.  Just pull out all the gears the way it is.  Here is the deal...by taking off the shallow side, you pulled the shift fork shafts out of the post holes where the detente balls go.  You now have (hopefully) 2 ball bearings loose inside you trans.  They are 1/4" ball bearings.  Also look for the spring and stop piece...could still be in the half you pulled off in between the post holes.  You could damage that spring if it is in the way of any shafts by trying to put it back together.  Just take it apart and find those pieces.  :)

Here is picture of the parts...the spring, stop and 2 balls are sitting just to the left of the differential pinions.

2010_0416trans50850014.jpg

Edited by stevasaurus

Zeus55

Ok :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice and you're right, I have to remove everything anyway so one way or the other will be ok :techie-idea:

• Like 1

Zeus55

Found the spring and ball bearings where they should be... in the bottom of the wholes and the spring was where it should be.

I found wear on the Input gear, the forks and shift stick. Is this wear normal or excessive ?

Thanks!

post-13600-0-22147300-1407795060.jpg

post-13600-0-23905900-1407795061_thumb.j

post-13600-0-16150300-1407795062.jpg

post-13600-0-97571500-1407795062.jpg

stevasaurus

Your input shaft gear looks to be OK.  Check the inside of the 2nd/3rd fork gear for wear also.  This fits on top of your input shaft gear when you are in 3rd gear.  The wear between these is why a trans will slip out of 3rd with a load.  If you have a good fit, you should be OK.  Is this just going to be a ride around/show tractor or a worker??  There are some pictures on this site that show a good and bad input and 2nd/3rd fork gears.  :)

Maybe just file the burrs on the fork shaft...and the shifter ball has some wear, but should be OK.  This horse definitely has had some use.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

Racinbob

Here's one of the pictures Steve mentioned. The gear on the left is a NOS I found.

post-8408-0-34710700-1407859985_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Zeus55

The gear looks good to me, it fits the input gear solidly without any loose so I figure it's OK...

I added some pictures of the engine. Working on the trany and waiting for the carb and fuel pump kit. I will try to polish both of them, it should look nice.

To answer the question about the use of my 701, I will not do any exposition or hard work, just running around in the wood and haul the grand kids in an wagon that I will make next, looking for blueberries, raspberries and other good little fruits :icecream: .

This little guy is 53 years old and I will give him an easy retirement :crying-pink:

post-13600-0-58963300-1407869379.jpg

post-13600-0-54487000-1407869387.jpg

post-13600-0-47880800-1407869388.jpg

Edited by Zeus55
  • Like 4

Racinbob

I like the contrast on the motor and the polished carb and fuel pump will look good. I would be a bit concerned about that gear though. Steve and/or Mike will probably chime in and they knows better than me.

stevasaurus

Your choice Zeus, but Bob is right.  That gear looks pretty bad for all the work you are doing.  The one RacinBob saved (right side of that picture) is a much better choice if he wants to part with it.  :eusa-think:  Compare the pictures mate.

Edited by stevasaurus

Zeus55

Wow... been loking for a new one on the internet but everywhere I look it's not available or discontinued.

Do you think a machine shop can fix it ?

Thanks!

Edited by Zeus55

stevasaurus

Probably not.  See if Bob wants to part with his...if not...send a PM to "racinfool40" he is in Ohio and sells used (good) gears for transmissions.  :)

Zeus55

Ok I've sent an e-mail to racinfool40 about it... Thanks!

Hey Bob... is yours for sale ? :eusa-whistle:

Racinbob

Well, I don't know about that but I do know I can get it in your hands :) . The gear on the right is the one I replaced from my transmission. At the time I bought the NOS gear I didn't think the original would work. But Steve felt it would be fine in a non-worker and, after attending the Stevasaurus Transmission University, I think so as well. Keep in mind, I didn't say I graduated....I just attended :eek:. I had another issue involving the engagement and once that was resolved the original gear probably would have been fine.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1